Telling the Gospel to Others

Watching Wretched Radio made me want to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ to others, especially those in my class. But I'm not sure if I should.

But here are my ideas on how to tell the Gospel:

The Gospel is the message of Jesus Christ's death for our sins and resurrection from the grave. So what we have to do is convince someone that they are a sinner, then tell them that the punishment for sin is hell, and then tell them that Jesus Christ died so that we would not have to suffer that punishment, and that all we have to do is repent of our sins, turn to righteousness, and put our faith in Jesus.

I have always seen evangelists ask the question, "Do you think that you are a good person?", but here is my suggestion: ask, "Have you done bad things?". That will get them to admit that they are a bad person without them considering that they were good in the first place. Then you'd ask them what they have done that was bad. That should get them to convince themselves that they are bad, instead of you doing it for them.

Then you tell them that the God-given punishment for your sins is hell, eternal punishment. And that it is rightly deserved. You have to remind them that God is perfect and holy and just, and that this punishment is completely just for our actions.

Then you tell them that Jesus Christ, God as human, died in our place, so that we did not have to go to hell. And that He also resurrected after three days, thus proving that He is God (the resurrection is crucial to the Gospel, though it might seem to mess up your flow). And that all that you have to do is repent of your sins and turn away from them, and put your faith in Jesus Christ, and that you can be saved from hell.

So how would you put all of these thoughts into one message? Am I on the right track? What should I do to improve how I present the message.

Some things to remember: Never try to do any gimmicks that would distract someone from the person of Jesus Christ. The preaching of the Gospel is what draws men to Christ. So try not to make them laugh, or sing a song, or anything like that. That's just my personal opinion.

7 In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity, 8 Sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you.
Titus 2:7-8

So how would you put all of these thoughts into one message?
God has already done that for us. John 3:16 - "For God so loved the world that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in Him will not perish, but have eternal life."

Just ask them if they are familiar with John 3:16. Most people have heard of it. Then ask them if they really know what it means. That gives you the open door to explain the other things you mentioned.

And be careful when you ask "Have you done bad things?" Some people may say no. They need to know that all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

Reactions: Juk
God has already done that for us. John 3:16 - "For God so loved the world that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in Him will not perish, but have eternal life."

Just ask them if they are familiar with John 3:16. Most people have heard of it. Then ask them if they really know what it means. That gives you the open door to explain the other things you mentioned.

And be careful when you ask "Have you done bad things?" Some people may say no. They need to know that all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.
Thanks, that is a good way to start. And I think that "have you done bad things?" might sound a bit too judgemental, and that's not the best way to come off in the beginning when witnessing. I do understand, though, that some people consider the entire Bible to be judgemental, and that biblical truth is judgemental to them. So you shouldn't care if telling them Bible truth makes them offended.

Thanks, that is a good way to start. And I think that "have you done bad things?" might sound a bit too judgemental, and that's not the best way to come off in the beginning when witnessing. I do understand, though, that some people consider the entire Bible to be judgemental, and that biblical truth is judgemental to them. So you shouldn't care if telling them Bible truth makes them offended.
John 17:3, "and this is eternal life that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent." (NKJV).

1John 2:3 "Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments."(NKJV).

It is vital to know what eternal life actually means according to the bible, or we can't really make sense of all the verses that mention eternal life, such as John 3:16. Entering into eternal life is not a passive thing. Believing is not passive.

Also, I believe that scaring people into accepting Jesus as their saviour in order to avoid hell is not a good way to bring people to Jesus because their motivation is a selfish one. They are accepting and and serving Jesus only for what they can get out if Him, not out of love. This motivation serves to strengthen self as opposed to dieing to self, which we are required to do. This motivation will eventually become a stumbling block and a obstacle that the believer WILL have to overcome or they will at some point fall.

Last edited:
John 17:3, "and this is eternal life that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent." (NKJV).

1John 2:3 "Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments."(NKJV).

It is vital to know what eternal life actually means according to the bible, or we can't really make sense of all the verses that mention eternal life, such as John 3:16. Entering into eternal life is not a passive thing. Believing is not passive.

Also, I believe that scaring people into accepting Jesus as their saviour in order to avoid hell is not a good way to bring people to Jesus because their motivation is a selfish one. They are accepting and and serving Jesus only for what they can get out if Him, not out of love. This motivation serves to strengthen self as opposed to dieing to self, which we are required to do. This motivation will eventually become a stumbling block and a obstacle that the believer WILL have to overcome or they will at some point fall.
Well, hell is part of the Gospel. If any part of the Gospel is taken out, then the Gospel will lose its impact. So you have to tell them about hell, but I agree that the whole message should not be centered around the subject, but around the death and resurrection of Christ.

Well, hell is part of the Gospel. If any part of the Gospel is taken out, then the Gospel will lose its impact. So you have to tell them about hell, but I agree that the whole message should not be centered around the subject, but around the death and resurrection of Christ.

Yes, of course we have to include hell in our message or it is not the gospel. Jesus Himself never shied away from talking about hell. The gospel is called the gospel for a reason...because it is good news! In fact the news is far greater than we can fully comprehend. God didn't save us because He had to but because He wanted to. He didn't save us...paid such a high price in doing so because we are "worthless sinners". No, he saved us because we are worth being saved in His eyes...because wants to redeem us back to what we were meant to be...children of God and the Bride of Christ!

It isn't up to us to convince people that they are sinners. If they haven't received Jesus, they are sinners, desperate for a Saviour, and our job is to simply sow the seed and leave the germination of that seed to Holy Spirit.

What is spoken above covers it very well.

Prior to telling anybody the gospel, understand that it isn't you that convinces them. Sometimes, the most watered down version of the gospel is what breaks a person's heart. The Holy Spirit convicted them at that point and they knew they were a sinner. Meanwhile, your best presentation of the gospel will be mocked and laughed at. Either scenario, it is between the person and God, we are only the messengers. If somebody rejects it, rejoice, pray for them, and keep going.

Formulating and memorizing what to say has never worked for me.

People are filled with questions, interest and better grasp their sin when a lantern enters a dark room John 3:19. We need to try move discussion in the direction of talking about Jesus and just pray that God is with us and gives us the words to say.

A fruitful discussion about the Bible to others is pleasing to God; it shows Him that we are not afraid to display our faith to believers and non believers.
Spread the Gospel my friend; show people how amazing God is. :)

I found that an excellent way to spread the Gospel is through a survey. The idea just popped into my mind after thinking of how I should witness to my friend. I still haven't, though. I think that God gave me such a great idea. Here is a survey that I made yesterday:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JVZ39C9
It's not the best, but I will revise it and make it better.

Here is the revised version:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/J2ZSMLZ

Since I have a hard time talking to people face to face, I have to talk to them through writing, and a survey, or "test", is a great way for me to do so.

I found that an excellent way to spread the Gospel is through a survey. The idea just popped into my mind after thinking of how I should witness to my friend. I still haven't, though. I think that God gave me such a great idea. Here is a survey that I made yesterday:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JVZ39C9
It's not the best, but I will revise it and make it better.

Here is the revised version:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/J2ZSMLZ

Since I have a hard time talking to people face to face, I have to talk to them through writing, and a survey, or "test", is a great way for me to do so.

Seems very similar to Ray Comfort's approach of letting the law convict men of sin. Maybe you should read some of his books.

Back