The Angel of the LORD

The Angel of the LORD

Genesis 18:1-5 -- 1And the LORD appeared unto him in the plains of Mamre: and he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day; 2And he lift up his eyes and looked, and, lo, three men stood by him: and when he saw them, he ran to meet them from the tent door, and bowed himself toward the ground, 3And said, My LORD, if now I have found favour in thy sight, pass not away, I pray thee, from thy servant: 4Let a little water, I pray you, be fetched, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree: 5And I will fetch a morsel of bread, and comfort ye your hearts; after that ye shall pass on: for therefore are ye come to your servant. And they said, So do, as thou hast said.

Some people have said that this is because GOD was in HIS angels and HIS angels in GOD. We know angels have a divine nature so I wonder if they are united with GOD in some way. It says LORD then it says "three men." Interchangeable terms? Are they both the same thing?

Or was this just Christ here and two of his angels as 3 distinct persons? I wonder why because the LORD says he would destroy soddom, but HIS angels do instead. Or maybe it was a joint-effort between HIM and HIS angels?

Genesis 18:9-10 -- 9And they said unto him, Where is Sarah thy wife? And he said, Behold, in the tent. 10And he said, I will certainly return unto thee according to the time of life; and, lo, Sarah thy wife shall have a son. And Sarah heard it in the tent door, which was behind him.

I see the terms "you" "he" LORD" "men" used as if interchangeably...to refer to the same thing?

Excellent questions, Whitelioness!
Look at it this way, when the President of the United States, or a King of a country pays a visit, they are not alone. They have people with them. But we still say "the President/King is coming/here!"
If you read further on, you will see that two of the angels left to do God's business (emissaries/ambassadors) while God stayed behind to talk to Abram. Ambassadors act on behalf of who they represent. Like police act on behalf of the law, or a government. When an ambassador is in another country, they are treated as if they were the leader of the country they represent, with all the courtesy and respect. And they speak and act on behalf of the country they represent. As if they were that country! (does that make sense?)
So when the angels went to Sodom, they were acting on behalf of God, with His authority, just as if God Himself were doing it. So in essence, you would say that God did it.
Keep digging, and keep asking questions! A good way to learn is to ask, another is to answer! hee!
kissis.gif

Genesis 18:1-5 -- 1And the LORD appeared unto him in the plains of Mamre: and he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day; 2And he lift up his eyes and looked, and, lo, three men stood by him: and when he saw them, he ran to meet them from the tent door, and bowed himself toward the ground, 3And said, My LORD, if now I have found favour in thy sight, pass not away, I pray thee, from thy servant: 4Let a little water, I pray you, be fetched, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree: 5And I will fetch a morsel of bread, and comfort ye your hearts; after that ye shall pass on: for therefore are ye come to your servant. And they said, So do, as thou hast said.

Some people have said that this is because GOD was in HIS angels and HIS angels in GOD. We know angels have a divine nature so I wonder if they are united with GOD in some way. It says LORD then it says "three men." Interchangeable terms? Are they both the same thing?

Or was this just Christ here and two of his angels as 3 distinct persons? I wonder why because the LORD says he would destroy soddom, but HIS angels do instead. Or maybe it was a joint-effort between HIM and HIS angels?

Genesis 18:9-10 -- 9And they said unto him, Where is Sarah thy wife? And he said, Behold, in the tent. 10And he said, I will certainly return unto thee according to the time of life; and, lo, Sarah thy wife shall have a son. And Sarah heard it in the tent door, which was behind him.

I see the terms "you" "he" LORD" "men" used as if interchangeably...to refer to the same thing?

The scriptures you quote got me thinking some time ago. Yes very strange way to talk of 3 then to talk as if the 3 talked as one as if they where one.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Three men

1. Lord Jesus Christ.

2. Michael

3. Gabriel.

Back