The Apochrypa

I was recently introduced to these scriptures a few months ago. My uncle priest was mortified that I was attempting to read them without understanding the context in which they were written, but I promised to touch base with him if there was something that I found perturbing. So far, however, I find them full of wisdom and am reading for the first time about remarkable people such as Solomon. Has anyone else here read the Apochrypa and what value, if any, do you feel that they have in terms of understanding the scriptures in the Bible? I am always on the look out for ancient useful wisdom and particularly prayers. As far as prayers go, I have definitely found some gems.

I was recently introduced to these scriptures a few months ago. My uncle priest was mortified that I was attempting to read them without understanding the context in which they were written, but I promised to touch base with him if there was something that I found perturbing. So far, however, I find them full of wisdom and am reading for the first time about remarkable people such as Solomon. Has anyone else here read the Apochrypa and what value, if any, do you feel that they have in terms of understanding the scriptures in the Bible? I am always on the look out for ancient useful wisdom and particularly prayers. As far as prayers go, I have definitely found some gems.
The 66 books we call the bible, mentions 7 other books that are not included. I don't see a problem with it unless what's written in them contradicts what's in the 66. I've read Jasher, Gad, Enoch, and a couple of others. In fact, the book of Enoch is quoted in the books of Peter, Hebrew, and James.

For some context, here is an excerpt of what R. C. Sproul wrote about the inclusion of the apocrypha in the Bible:

A dispute arose in the sixteenth century between the Roman Catholic Church and Protestants over the scope and extent of the Old Testament Scriptures, specifically over the Apocrypha, a group of books produced during the intertestamental period. The Roman Catholic Church embraced the Apocrypha; the Reformation churches, for the most part, did not. The dispute centered on what the first-century church and Jesus Himself had accepted as canonical. All the evidence from Palestine indicates that the Jewish Palestinian canon did not include the Apocrypha, whereas many in Alexandria, the cultural center for Hellenistic Jews, did include it. However, more recent scholarship suggests that even the Alexandrian canon recognized the Apocrypha only at a secondary level, not at the full level of biblical authority.
Sproul, R.C.. Everyone's a Theologian (p. 39). Reformation Trust Publishing. Kindle Edition.

For myself, there have been a few times that I have looked into the Apocrypha, but I approach it as I would the writings of a gifted modern day Christian writer. That is: to see what I can learn from them, but to always view them through New Testament eyes.

As I understand it, many translations of the Bible include the Apocrypha, but publishers include it or exclude it as requested by the churches and according to how well it sells in the bookstores.

Siloam: Thank you so much for providing me with your knowledge about the Apochrypa. Now I understand why my uncle was reluctant to have me read it without the benefit of understanding what you have so eloquently explained. I am much obliged to you for your warning, and I will approach these writings with careful discernment. I very much appreciate the time and trouble you've gone to in order to make this information available to me.

Blessings,
Egraine

Back