The Book of Numbers

Ive just read and studied the Book of Numbers. I have some questions for you people who are better versed than I.
What should I take from this Book as a whole? What is the overall theme? The Israelites needing to mature their faith? Acting like spoilt teenagers?God as loving parent, disciplining them as necessary?
Yet I do feel some shock at the punishments God deals out. Example Numbers 20. Aaron gets killed on Mount Hor? Moses prohibited from leading them into the Promised Land? For 21st Century first world human beings, this seems very harsh.

I identify with the complaining of the Israelites sometimes. I would complain if I had to eat the same food every day, and no meat. God is toughening them up? God wants us to toughen up? yet have a kind heart? Tough on the outside , soft on the inside?

Numbers 12. Miriam and Aaron. They sound envious of the power and attention Moses is getting. That is understandable too. The implication for me is to respect those in authority over us , even I might feel more informed or even more competent.

The ESV bible provides a good outline, overview and theme of the Book of Numbers.

Yet I do feel some shock at the punishments God deals out. Example Numbers 20. Aaron gets killed on Mount Hor? Moses prohibited from leading them into the Promised Land? For 21st Century first world human beings, this seems very harsh.
I do not look at it this way. If Jesus did not come down and pay for our sins on the cross, it does not matter whether we are in 21st century or 30th century. We will have to face the punishment for our sins. Through the Cross, God extended His grace so that we are not dealt with our sins the way it deserves. Does not mean everything is put under the rug. There will be judgement, not for people washed by His blood though. These Old Testament laws are helpful to understand what Jesus endured on the Cross. These goes on show the perfection that is required and how much we fall short. And how much wrath we accumulate and how much Jesus took upon Himself on the Cross.

Gets killed? Can you provide the Bible verse?

sorry in advance as it can be misunderstood as this is the 2nd post today i wrote quoting yours :)

i google, i tried, what i can see is Aaron died at the age of 123 years and there even an opinion that he is fortunate to see his own son took over.

Last edited:
They had quails as well as manna.
I would say Numbers is the story of people that came out of egypt, who became the israelite nation, and how God wanted to train them up to be holy. Its kind a like a memoir of their camping in the wilderness..and I guess how they were organised to do this...hence, numbers.

Gets killed? Can you provide the Bible verse?

sorry in advance as it can be misunderstood as this is the 2nd post today i wrote quoting yours :)

i google, i tried, what i can see is Aaron died at the age of 123 years and there even an opinion that he is fortunate to see his own son took over.
Numbers Chapter 20 Verse 24. and surrounds.
looks like some Bible versions of this event downplay the role of God and his amount of anger.
But mine emphasises God's wrath . It is a catholic one but over 40 years old. example:
20:24 "Aaron is not going to enter the land which I promised to give to Israel; he is going to die; because the two of you rebelled against my command at Meribah."
20:25 Take Aaron and his son Eleazor up Mount Hor and there remove Aarons priestly robes and put them on Eleazar. Aaron is going to die there.

Last edited:
Reactions: aha
Huh my kjv bible does say Aaron wont enter the promised land because he rebelled, and he dies on the mountain, but it doesnt say it's God who kills him.

As for tough on the outside and soft on the inside, the nickname for modern day israelis is Sabra, which is a kind of prickly fruit, which is very juicy and soft inside.

I was in a bible study we were going through book of numbers but I only got up to chapter 25 cos I was then enrolled in a other course this year that was on the same night as my bible study so...if anyones keen to go through the rest of the chapters with me that would be great!!

Ive just read and studied the Book of Numbers. I have some questions for you people who are better versed than I.
What should I take from this Book as a whole? What is the overall theme? The Israelites needing to mature their faith? Acting like spoilt teenagers?God as loving parent, disciplining them as necessary?
I identify with the complaining of the Israelites sometimes. I would complain if I had to eat the same food every day, and no meat. God is toughening them up? God wants us to toughen up? yet have a kind heart? Tough on the outside , soft on the inside?

Hello justanothersinner;

You are asking good questions about the Book of Numbers and from your study you have provided your own answers, and for all of us.

When the people of Israel journeyed from Mount Sinai to the land of Canaan they grumbled, squabbled with each other and whined. They compromised their faith in God desiring instant gratification. The story of Numbers served as a growing pains lesson for all who follow God, no matter how uncomfortable it can get.

Whether God's people in Numbers or God's people in these times, our God loves us and wants the very best for us. What the Israelites overlooked with their whining was God's patience. God's patience withholds judgment, while guiding us through all circumstances. But this doesn't mean we should take God for granted.

The old generation in Numbers died off along with their sins, while the new generation prepared to receive God's blessings and cross the Jordan receiving the blessings God had promised them.

Huh my kjv bible does say Aaron wont enter the promised land because he rebelled, and he dies on the mountain, but it doesnt say it's God who kills him. As for tough on the outside and soft on the inside, the nickname for modern day israelis is Sabra, which is a kind of prickly fruit, which is very juicy and soft inside. I was in a bible study we were going through book of numbers but I only got up to chapter 25 cos I was then enrolled in a other course this year that was on the same night as my bible study so...if anyones keen to go through the rest of the chapters with me that would be great!!

Hi Lanolin;

You are correct regarding the death of Aaron.

Aaron was the first high priest of God and was held to a higher standard amongst His people. But when he gave in to the people's demands for a golden calf (in Exodus 32) and joined with Moses in disobeying God's orders about the water - giving rock (Numbers 20), God gave orders to Moses that Aaron would not enter the Promised land, that he would die at Mount Hor.

Side note.
In the book of Deuteronomy 10:6 Aaron was to have died in Moserah. Moserah and Mount Hor are two different places in the Bible where Aaron died and according to the Holman Bible Atlas (page 71) the two locations along with the wells of Bene Jaakan to Moserah may all be in the approximate geograph but isn't certain the exact location of Aaron's burial.

I'm still not sure because Deuteronomy 10:6 and Numbers 20 give two different locations, besides the wells of Bene Jaakan and Moserah. If anyone has further information or research please share.

The 39 years of Numbers and its events are examples that caution us to avoid the mistakes of the Israelites such as sinful pleasures, selfish complaining and disastrous unbelief. Our choice to let God lead our lives through the rocks and obstacles grows us to understand God (spiritual maturity) and commitment to Him.

God bless you all and your families.

The thing about selfish complaining..these Israelites left Egypt right because God wanted them to worship Him and He was going to have a feast with them. He was with them every moment of every day and yet they still looked back to egypt as if they wanted to go back there!

Well what if God just said, if you dont want to follow me, you can just go back to Egypt and be slaves. The thing is God wasnt going to do a reverse exodus and part the red sea again so they could go back. Im sure Moses had enough of their complaints. Poor Moses.

Back