The Book Of ROMANS.....A Systematic Teaching

Why Romans??? WHY do we need to study it and grasp it???????????

Why is Romans so important?​

The answer is that the letter to the Romans stands as the clearest and most systematic presentation of Christian doctrine in all the Scriptures!!!!!

The author is the apostle Paul who wrote to the Romans from the Greek city of Corinth in AD 57, just three years after the 16-year-old Nero had ascended to the throne as Emperor of Rome. The political situation in the capital had not yet deteriorated for the Roman Christians, as Nero wouldn’t begin his persecution of them until he made them scapegoats after the great Roman fire in AD 64. Therefore, Paul wrote to a church that was experiencing a time of relative peace, but a church that he felt needed a strong dose of basic gospel doctrine, kind of like todays church.

Now...........I will post ONE Scripture, make observations and commentary and everyone is welcome to ADD to that or give YOUR understanding of that verse.

Disclaimer.......
This is NOT for ARGUEING, or CONFRONTATION or SARCASTIC responses as has been observed in the past. This is a Christian web site intended for the education and uplifting of Christians and is not a place for personal retributions!

Here we go.

This opening chapter is an inclusive as it embraces the missionary motives of Paul, the definition of the gospel and the condition of man in sin which necessitates the gospel itself. This 1st chapter gives us the tempo for the entire book.

It needs to be said and understood that Romans teaches us the total depravity of man. Man is irrevocably and hopelessly lost. Man must have the righteousness of God since he has none of his own!

NOW do not get excited!!!

I am not a CALVINIST, even though John Calvin taught that. Calvin only wrote and taught what GOD SAID and I will make that abundantly clear as we go through this book. It should be noted that this great book of Christine doctrine, which was addressed to the church at Rome to keep it from heresy, DID NOT ACCOMPLISH THAT GOAL! The church in Rome moved the farthest from the faith which is set forth in the epistle to the Romans. That fact is an illustration of the truth of this epistle in that man does not understand neither does he seek after God.

Verse #1.........
"Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God,"

Here, the apostle PAUL identifies himself. He was SAUL of Tarsus but after he was saved he was called PAUL.

First, he understands himself to be a servant of Jesus Christ. The Greek word used here for servant is doulos. A doulos in Greek culture was a "bondservant," someone who had sold himself into slavery to another person either for a specific amount of time or indefinitely. Paul considered himself to be owned by Christ.

He took this position willingly!

The Lord Jesus Christ loved us and gave Himself for us, but He never ever makes us a slave.!!!! We must come to Him voluntarily and willingly to Him and out of our love for Him, we makes ourselves salves to Him. It is important to understand that Christ will never force you to do anything to serve Him.

He said in Luke 13:34.........
"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing!"

It is wonderful beyond measure if you have the privilege of making yourself a bondslave to the Lord Jesus Christ. YOU do it on your own, He will not force you, but He will bless you when you do!

APOSTLE = "One who is sent".

The word has a technical meaning in the New Testament of one chosen by the Lord Jesus to decalre the gospel.
An Apostle must be a witness of the resurrected Christ.

Paul said in 1 Corinthians 15:8........." Last of all, as to one untimely born, he appeared also to me."

Then in 1 Corinthians 9: 1 he asks a rhetorical question........
" Am I not free? Am I not an apostle? Have I not seen Jesus our Lord? Are not you my workmanship in the Lord?"

"Set apart" = SEPERATED! Another word you might use here would be CLEVE!

The Greek word for "SEPERATED" is APHORIZO from which we get the word "Horizon".

Now, when I was little, (young) all of the young people around our home were girls. My next door neighbor was named Peggy. On the other side of the house was a little girl named Rhonda. If I wanted to play and have friends, I had to do what the little girls did. I had to play house, tea parties and such. However there came a day when I put those things aside and began to play baseball, and climb trees and chase cats and so on. The girls would say.........."Come on over and lets have a tea party". It was then that I said NO, I am playing 1st base, I am not interested in tea parties anymore.
You see.........my HORIZON expanded! That is what happens when we come to Christ. When we are SEPERATED unto Christ He brings us to the place where our horizons are enlarged and we begin to see life differently than we used to.

1 Corinthians 13:11..........
"When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways."

Notice then "The gospel of God"!

In other words, man did not create the gospel. I have grown weary of those who say........."The Catholic church gave us the Bible"!
NO IT DID NOT! God gave us His Bible. God gave us His Son, our Christ!

When you and I arrived on the scene, the gospel had been in existence for 2000 years. Before Adam came on the scene, God had been at work for billions of years. God had a plan. He knew we would fail!
God did not wait until I got here to see if I had a better plan. It is God's gospel. We can take it or we can leave it but it was originated by God and get this, write it down, ..........It was done before the Creation was conceived!

Revelation 13:8........

"And all who dwell on earth will worship it, everyone whose name has not been written before the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb who was slain."

I intend to wait a few days for posts, comments and HELPFUL additions and the go on! If you have something of a personal nature, please feel free to use the PM option. I will do my best to respond.

NKJV
1 Paul, a bondservant of Jesus Christ, (A bondservant is like a slave, purchased at a price, devoted to another in disregard to ones own interests.) called to be an apostle, (undoubtedly knew what he was called for. Wouldn't we all like to know what we are called for? It isn't always obvious.) separated to the gospel of God. (Separated from his former life? Set apart from other teachers of Christianity? Seems to me as "dedicated" to the gospel of God.)

NKJV
1 Paul, a bondservant of Jesus Christ, (A bondservant is like a slave, purchased at a price, devoted to another in disregard to ones own interests.) called to be an apostle, (undoubtedly knew what he was called for. Wouldn't we all like to know what we are called for? It isn't always obvious.) separated to the gospel of God. (Separated from his former life? Set apart from other teachers of Christianity? Seems to me as "dedicated" to the gospel of God.)
Agreed!

Unfortunately, a lot of us do not realize what we could have been until it is too late to do anything about it.

“We are not what we think, or what we say, or how we feel. We are what we do.”
― Gordon Livingston,

Daniel and his 3 amigoes are an excellent example of "separated". Daniel and his three friends refused to defile themselves by eating the king's food and drinking the king's wine. Instead, they requested to eat vegetables and drink water for ten days as a test. God honored their decision. After ten days they appeared healthier than the other men and the diet of all was switched to the same one observed by Daniel and his friends.

Today, individuals, churches, and organizations apply biblical separation in a variety of ways today. Decisions must be made regarding whether one person or group will affiliate in a particular way with another person or group based on whether the decision would honor God or compromise integrity.

Romans 1:2.........
" Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,"

Here Paul begins to explain, in the middle of his introduction, what the gospel of God is.

First, Paul writes, the gospel of God is not a new thing that has popped up since Jesus' death and resurrection. Instead, the gospel had been promised by God long ago through what his prophets wrote in the "holy Scriptures." Paul's readers would have understood the holy Scriptures to include the books we refer to as the Old Testament.

Paul does not give examples of the promise of the gospel in this brief verse, but he is consistent throughout his writing in insisting that the Scriptures were always pointing forward to the coming of the Messiah and salvation through Him for both Jewish people and Gentiles.

New Testament books such as Hebrews go to great lengths showing how the Scriptures of the Old Testament were filled with predictions and descriptions of Jesus Christ.

The commission of Paul...

Acts 9:15-16 ESV
But the Lord said to him, "Go, for he is a chosen instrument of mine to carry my name before the Gentiles and kings and the children of Israel. [16] For I will show him how much he must suffer for the sake of my name."

Romans 1:3-6..........
"concerning his Son, who was descended from David[b] according to the flesh 4 and was declared to be the Son of God in power according to the Spirit of holiness by his resurrection from the dead, Jesus Christ our Lord, 5 through whom we have received grace and apostleship to bring about the obedience of faith for the sake of his name among all the nations, 6 including you who are called to belong to Jesus Christ,"

Verses 2 -6 form a "Parenthetical" statement which gives the definition of the gospel. Again.......1st and foremost it is all about Jesus Christ.

Verse #3, the word "Concerning" is the Greek word preposition = PERI. It is where we get the word PERISCOPE and PERIMETER and actually means............That which encircles!

The gospel is all about Jesus the Christ. It is what He has done. It is concerning or encompassing God's Son, our Christ, Jesus.

JESUS is His eartly name. CHRIST is His heavenly position. He is JESUS THE CHRIST!

Make a note of this. Jesus had NO religion! He did not need one as He is God! What we need today is to have a religion that is about Jesus, one that surrounds Him and that is all we need. Jesus CAN NOT worship!, H e is to be worshipped!

I am sure that someone will contest that and say...........But Major, He prayed! YES HE DID> That is because He took the place od humanity. He prayed to help our faith and set an example!

His humanity is manifested in the Biblical fact that He came through David, the flesh.

Notice verse #4 very carefully...........Do YOU see it?????the resurrection did not make Him the Son of God. It simply REVEALED that He was in fact the Son of God!

Folks, the resurrection proves everything. It is the resurrection that sets Him forth as the Son of God, in fact God Himself. If you have read through the Bible you will have by new seen that the Lord Jesus is presented in the power of His resurrection.

The resurrection also says that because He rose from the dead, we also will rise from the dead. Jesus is alive and seated at the right hand of the Father and now, today there is a GOD-MAN in glory. IMHO.........we as the church has lost that perspective.

We/church has fallen into the religious trap of Satan that Jesus is a cosmic Santa Clause. It is ....gimme .....gimme....heal me....heal me. I need a new car, I need a new TV. It seems to me that we have lost personal contact with the living Christ today!!!!

Verse #5. Now allow me to ask you this.........Is there a difference in faith? You bet your life there is!!!!!!!!!

The difference is the OBJECT of your faith.

Now I believe in George Washington. He was a great man. Our 1st president and great military general who defeated the British. He is the father of our country. I also believe in Jesus Christ. Now my FAITH in George Washington has never done anything for me. It has nothing to do with where I am going or who I am. However, my FAITH in Jesus Christ has everything to do with what I am and who I am.I have SAVING FAITH in Christ.

SAVING FAITH brings us to a position of "surrender" to the Lord Jesus as the Son of God who gave His life so that WE can have eternal life. THAT IS CORRECT DOCTRINE and it is very important.

Please understand this fact........DOCTRINE is very important but there is also a DISCIPLINE and a DOING that goes with it.
You as a Christian can not be salt and lite without combining both of those.

Romans 1:7............
"To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ".
"Beloved of God"..............What a blessing it is to be called that!!!

Called to be saints"..........That should be simply, CALLED SAINTS. The verb, to be is not in the better manusctipts.

Now we should all learn something here. This word SAINT is the name Paul uses for every believer. A saint is NOT someone who has done a great and wonderous thing in his life. A saint is one who exalts the Lord Jesus Christ. A SAINT is a person who has come to believe the gospel and accepted Jesus as the Christ.

Now, there are only TWO classes of people in the world...................
1. The Saints.
2. The Aint's.

If you are not a Saint then you are an Aint! If you are a Saint you have trusted Christ as your Saviour!

If I lost you then think of it this way.......there are only TWO classes of people in the world..........
1. The SAVED.
2. The LOST.

The SAVED are God's children and they will go to heaven eternally.
The LOST are Satan's children and they will go to Hell eternally.

Some will same...........Major, you are too blunt and hard and people do not like to hear that kind of teaching!

Yes, I know and you are correct. And that is exactly why the world is in such a state as we see it today.

Amos 8:11..........
"Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD: "

2 Timothy 4:3......
"For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but having itching ears, they shall heap to themselves teachers in accordance with their own lusts."

My dear friends, in case you did not know it..........We are living in THOSE DAYS......Today!

Romans 1:8.........
"First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world."
What does this mean?????

Word had filtered out throughout the Empire of Rome that many in Rome were turning to Christ. So many in fact that the Emperor was disturbed.

It was later that persecution began to take place.

In other words, the Christians in Rome were becoming well known, far and wide for believing in Jesus. This is exactly Paul's mission in life, given to him by Christ Himself: to see belief in Christ spread to all the nations of the world (Romans 1:5).
So, it is not surprising to hear him thank God through Jesus Christ for this.

Now may I take this opportunity to tell you that we should take note of Paul's prayer life.

How about YOU? How about YOUR church? Do YOU have a personal testimony??? Do YOU share it with friends and family???

Many (Most) churches come together on Sunday and sit on their hands the rest of the week. Some have NO clue what it means to be MISSIONARY MINDED!

Just this week, my home church began to raise money for a Pregnancy center here in town.
It also had a missionary come from Vietnam to give a report on the work there in the middle of the week.
It also just started a campaign to gather GATOR AID to give out to the Local High School and University sports program.

That is just ONE WEEK. I am not telling you that to brag on my home church. I am no longer involved in the work of the church.
I am only giving an example of what it means to be involved for Christ in the world all around us.
THAT IS WHAT PAUL IS SAYING HERE!

Notice that Paul is modeling for us that prayers to God, including giving thanks, happen through Jesus. Most Christians have formalized this practice by ending our prayers with "in Jesus' name." We do this because our access to God the Father is possible only because we are "in Christ." We could never approach God on our own, in our sin, without Christ.

Romans 1:9...........
"For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers".

"The gospel of His Son". In the 1st verse Paul called it the "Gospel of God"!
Later he will simply call it "The gospel".

What is the point I am trying to make????............NONE! Just playing with you to keep you alert!
It is 3:30 PM and I just had my afternoon coffee and was felling FRISKY! When I told my wife that she ran and locked herself in the closet so I went to work on Romans!

Paul has just declared how he thanks God for his readers, the Christians in Rome. Now he calls on God to be his witness about what he is about to say to them. In other words, Paul wants to make it abundantly clear that he isn't lying to them. If God chose to speak about this, Paul says, He would back me up.

Paul is not being frivolous or light-hearted about God, either. He adds that he serves God with his spirit in proclaiming of the gospel of God's Son Jesus. In other words, serving God by preaching Christ is Paul's whole life. He is being absolutely serious when he says that God would back him up on what he is about to say.

May I say to you that we need more preachers in our churches like this today. Proclaim WHAT GOD SAID with power and authority not because you want the person on the back pew to here you, but because you actually believe what you are preaching.

Now listen, I do not have anything against preachers who yell and romp and stomp and gasp for breath. That is not what I am saying.
That kind of preaching WITHOUT DOCTRINAL SUBSTANCE is nothing but theatrics! It works the ignorant into a frenzy, but it does not lead people to the Lord Jesus Christ.

God said in Isaiah 1:18 ..........,
"Come now, let us reason together… though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow,".

The Hebrew tone here is not about YELLING or REBUKING or BEING LOUD. Literally the Hebrew is saying, ....
“Let us sum up the pleadings—that ultimatum is one of grace and mercy—‘Repent, and be forgiven.’”

Allow me to EXPLAIN to YOU a sinner what it will take for YOU to be a child of God and be forgiven of your sin and be given a home in heave. It is a PLEADING...REASONING!

And what Paul is about to say is that he prays something about his readers, the Christians in Rome, "without ceasing." In this case, we should take "without ceasing" to mean "regularly and continually." This does not mean literally every second of every waking moment, of course. Rather, it implies that Paul does not take days off from praying for this thing, and it is important to him that his readers understand that. The following verse reveals what it is that he asks God for.

Romans 1:10............
"Making request, if by any means now at length I might have a prosperous journey by the will of God to come unto you."
Paul praying for a "prosperous journey" to come to Rome.

Apparently, traveling to Rome and seeing these people in person is something Paul has longed to do for quite some time.

He asks God if it may come to pass by God's will. Paul recognizes that the circumstances of his life, including where he will or will not go on his travels, is not something that is within his control alone. It must also be God's will in order for something like this to come to pass. In his second letter to the Corinthians, Paul will offer an example of something for which he prayed, and which God declined (2 Corinthians 12:7–10).

When we read about his journey in the Book of Acts, it does not look exactly properous. He went as a prisoner, got into a terrible storm on the sea, was ship wreaked and lost and bitten by a viper. Yet.....
it was a prosperous trip.

When we read about his journey in the Book of Acts, it does not look exactly properous. He went as a prisoner, got into a terrible storm on the sea, was ship wreaked and lost and bitten by a viper. Yet.....
Well, Paul did say 'by any means', in vs. 10.

Romans 1:10............
"Making request, if by any means now at length I might have a prosperous journey by the will of God to come unto you."
Paul praying for a "prosperous journey" to come to Rome.

Apparently, traveling to Rome and seeing these people in person is something Paul has longed to do for quite some time.

He asks God if it may come to pass by God's will. Paul recognizes that the circumstances of his life, including where he will or will not go on his travels, is not something that is within his control alone. It must also be God's will in order for something like this to come to pass. In his second letter to the Corinthians, Paul will offer an example of something for which he prayed, and which God declined (2 Corinthians 12:7–10).

What does this say for "ask and ye shall receive"? Paul definitely wants to go there badly, yet can only if it is the Lord's will. To me it spells out that our receiving is often if not mostly manifested in a waiting period, not unlike a fasting period. If we are not prepared for the fulfillment, then a period of preparation must occur, not only for us but others involved in the fulfillment.

What does this say for "ask and ye shall receive"? Paul definitely wants to go there badly, yet can only if it is the Lord's will. To me it spells out that our receiving is often if not mostly manifested in a waiting period, not unlike a fasting period. If we are not prepared for the fulfillment, then a period of preparation must occur, not only for us but others involved in the fulfillment.

Agreed! Excellent point!

Romans 1:11............
"For I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end ye may be established;"

Paul wanted to go to Rome so as to teach the Word of God.

That is his calling. It is what motivated him and he loved to teach the Word that he got from God.

May I say to you with all Christian love, when a Preacher/Pastor does not want to teach the Word of God, he is nothing more than a clergyman, and administrator or better said a "promoter", but he is NOT a minister of the Word of God.

I have known many men such as this and many still today.

Another reason why a man does not want to teach the Word of God is that he does not know anything about the Word of God.

Romans 1:12............
"That is, that I may be comforted together with you by the mutual faith both of you and me."

In other words, Paul would communicate something, but the believers in Rome would in turn communicate something to him.

That is mutual blessing in the Word. May I say that when the Word of God is preached and it is received enthusiastically, it becomes a mutual blessing.

Many years ago I was asked to do a revival in Taft Fl. 1st Baptist church. Unbenounced to me, there was some kind of problem in the church. I never was told and had no earthly idea before the meetings.

A "revival" is not for lost people. It is for the church, to get it excited and rolling again. I did what I ways do......I laid it on the line using Ephesians 6 and how we are to put on the Armour of God. I did 5 nights of hard in your face correctional preaching on what the church must do to be a church and stand against Satan. The church has to unite and be one or die!!!!!

The 1st night, the church was cordial and polite but by the 3rd night they were "Involved"! By the last night they were standing and shouting AMEN and clapping so hard and I had stop 3 times. There were about 300 by the last night and when I gave the invitation, that whole church emptied their pews, came forward, stood in line crying and to hug their pastor. It is a scene that my wife and I have not since experienced.
I preached the Word of God and they were blessed, and convicted and their actions blessed me so much that even to this day..........
I am telling you about it.

It was later that I learned there were 2 deacons who were working to undermine the pastors ministry. Two weeks after that meeting, I was called and told by the pastor that the TWO men causes problems for him and resigned and left the church! He also said that the whole church had approached those 2 and told them to resign and leave or they would do it for them!

Pastor then asked..............do you preach like that in your church every week?????

I said then the same thing I say now..........YES!

Romans 1:13..........
"Now I would not have you ignorant, brethren, that oftentimes I purposed to come unto you, (but was let hitherto,) that I might have some fruit among you also, even as among other Gentiles."
Paul was hindered from coming to them. He had been wanting to come but was not allowed to do so.

He is NOT saying what we all tend to do from time to time when we say..............""Oh, we should get together sometime."

From the text we learn that Paul wants to reap a harvest among them and the rest of the Gentiles. This is a metaphor that Paul often uses to describe leading people to Christ. He wants to come to Rome to see more people put their faith in Christ to be forgiven for their sins and welcomed into the family of God.

Romans 1:14.............
"I am debtor both to the Greeks, and to the Barbarians; both to the wise, and to the unwise."

This is the 1st statement from Paul on the Three "I AMS"!

This was the common division of all mankind from the Greeks view.

The Greeks were educated, cultured, refined and civilized. "Barbarians" were those we call PAGAN today. That is of course a false division but I am not a Greek and am only reporting the thinking of Paul's day.

How did Paul become a debtor to the Greeks and the Barbarians????
Did he owe a shop owner for a pair of pants?
Did he run up a bill for neckties?
What about shoes......think he owed for some shoes?

NO!...........Paul describes himself as being under obligation not just to Christ, but also to the people Christ has sent him to reach with the gospel. So Paul understands himself to be obligated both to Greeks—meaning those who speak Greek and fit into Greek culture—and to barbarians—meaning everyone else. As stated, In general, Greek civilization classified other cultures as "barbarians," considered less sophisticated and educated than the Greeks. Perhaps that's why Paul adds that he is under obligation both to the wise and to the foolish.

Paul himself, though Jewish by birth, was also a product of the Greco-Roman culture. May I take a moment here to say that the man PAUL, the Apostle was a highly educated man. He was not just a man who walked onto the pages of Christian history and was actually the expounded of the Christian faith. He WAS A PREPARED MAN!

He was educated, articulate, and possessed all the rights of a Roman citizen. It would not be unusual for someone with his background to look down on those thought of as "barbarians." Paul didn't take that view. He believed himself to be obligated to all people groups, everyone "loved by God and called to be saints" (Romans 1:7).

The bustling metropolis of Rome likely contained representatives of all the known people groups in the world. No wonder Paul longed to reap a harvest in that city. He imagined he could continue to carry out his evangelism mission on a large scale and with great, lasting impact.

IF.....IF Christians over the last 2000 years had the desire that Paul had to spread the gospel, we would be living in a very different world today.

Back