The Character of God

The Character of God

James 1:17 "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

God is good and cares about what concerns you. He’s a compassionate God. A good Father wants to bless His children so how much more does our Heavenly Father want to bless us with all good things.

3 John 1:2 "Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers.”

This is speaking of your spirit, soul and body and shows he wants us to succeed and prosper in every area of life.
When we look up salvation in the Greek, it means rescue or safety [physically or morally], deliverance, health, preservation, save, deliver or protect (literally or figuratively)do well, make whole

Jesus said:

"The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. " (John 10:10)

This is how we know if it something from God or the devil. Is Killing? Stealing? destroying? Then its not God. Jesus plainly tells us who is the source of these things and we to believe Him and what God's Word says.

Many Christians think everything that happens, even tragedies, are from God. But that’s just all they have ever heard for years and years so they don’t know this verse or either haven’t gotten the revelation of it. Some think every time you do something wrong God’s going to hit you over the head. That’s their concepts of God.

Jesus said; If you’ve seen me you’ve seen the Father. What is our Father like and what are His works like?

Psalm 145:9 "The LORD is good to all, And His tender mercies are over all His works."

Jesus told the religious leaders that they were just teaching their own doctrines but calling them God’s commandments. When we do this we’re "making the word of God of none effect " (Mark 7:7-8,13) in our life .

The Lord said My people perish for lack of knowledge , So its important to renew our mind with the Word of God and make the decision to agree with what He says.
We don’t base or interpret God’s word by our experience. That’s backwards. We examine our experience in the light of what God’s Word says.

If we don’t know if something is from God, we won’t have the faith to be delivered or healed or whatever the need is. We have to know its God’s will and not doubt but have faith He will answer us. And also we need to know so we won’t resist it. But we’re told resist the devil and he will flee. Jesus resisted him by saying ‘it is written’. And when we say what God says and quote His word he has to flee.

Acts 10:38''How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.''
Oppression is not from God and sickness and disease is oppression from the enemy. Its says in 2 Cor. 4:4 satan is the god of this world. He will try to control our circumstances.

James1:13Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: 14But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. 15Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. 16Do not err, my beloved brethren.

This tells us here do not say God tempted us. The Bible calls satan the tempter not God. (Matthew 4:3, 1 Thessalonians 3:5)

We’ve all heard people misquote scripture before, which would naturally change the meaning. Sometimes we hear people say ‘God won’t put more on you than you can bear, implying God is putting all problems on you and you have to put up with them. Lets see what it actually says.

1 Corinthians 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

It didn’t say GOD was putting anything on you. It's saying even when you are tempted, God is faithful to make a way of escape, to be victorious and overcome the situation. You don’t have to give in to temptation. If you think its God then you won’t resist but wil give in to it. Some blame God. But GOD is not our problem He’s our answer. He is able deliver us and neve wants us to give in to temptation.

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

The anointing and the Word teaches us.This is God’s way and His way is always the best way. It doesn’t say he gives trials the sicknesses to teach you. He gives his Word and Spirit to teach us. If we use these things then we don’t have to learn the hard way.

Hebrews 12:7If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?

He chasten us as His children. This is child training like we train our children by instruction and example, correction. He is the father of spirits so he deals with us in the spirit. It may feel like a spanking when we’re corrected, but not in flesh by putting disease on us, hurting. We wouldn’t take our child hand put in fire to teach us something and He doesn’t do that either. He deals with us in our spirit.

If it was true everything is from God why did Jesus heal the sick and cast out devils? Why did he raise the dead and calms the storm ? So everything that happens cannot be God. Some blame God for problems and even turn form Him. But GOD is not our problem He’s our answer.

So from what i'm getting here . God is not vendictive . God is not waiting to beat us over the head with a club when we do wrong .

God is like a Father, and will correct us out of love so that we will grow up to be like Him .

It seems here you are differentiating between the perception of God chastening us means .. He will beat us if we do wrong . versus He corrects our ways out of love .

But then if we love others because God first loved us .. how would this flesh out in application?

well obviously, if you think of God as this troll with a huge club that you must pay to cross a bridge .. well i guess you'd have a pretty abusive application of your theology . . .

but if you think of God as a loving Father .. then perhaps this might express a more trust oriented love . which comes across as very beneficial .. unless your earthly Father was abusive .. so then another metaphor may be needed .

Since God is Love .. the way we see God is the way we will love . thank you for bringing this topic up God Speaks .

Very good study GodSpeaks ... Not much to comment as you have pretty well said it all . I will just post all the names of God . Thanks for this study .

THE NAMES OF GOD

JEHOVAH- ISAIAH 26:4 -GOD EVERLASTING STRENGTH, ROCK OF AGES
JEHOVAH NISSI- EXODUS 17:15- THE LORD MY BANNER
JEHOVAH SHALOM- JUDGES 6:24- THE LORD SEND PEACE
JEHOVAH SHAMMAH - EZEKIAL 48:35 -THE LORD IS THERE
JEHOVAH TSIDKENU- JEREMIAH 23:6- THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS
JEHOVAH ROPHE- EXODUS 15:26- THE LORD HEALS
JEHOVAH ROHI- PSALM 23:1- THE LORD MY SHEPHERD
JEHOVAH M’KADDESH- EXODUS 31:13- THE LORD WHO SANCTIFIES
JEHOVAH SABAOTH- 1 SAMUEL 15:2 THE LORD OF HOSTS
ISHI- HOSEA 2:16- HUSBAND
BAALI - HOSEA 2:16- MY LORD
ADONAY- DEUTERONOMY 10:17- LORD AND FATHER
ADONE HA ADONIM- DEUTERONOMY 10:17- LORD OF LORDS
EL ELYON- GENESIS 14:22- GOD MOST HIGH
EL SHADDAI- GENESIS 17:1- THE GOD ALMIGHTY
ANIY HAYAH- I AM- EXODUS 3:14- I EXIST (LITERALLY THE SELF EXISTANT ETERNAL GOD)
ELOHIM- GENESIS 2:4- GREAT , JUDGE, ANGEL BUT WITH THE DEFINITIVE ARTICLE SUPREME GOD
EL ELOE- GENESIS 33:20- THE GOD OF JACOB
JAH- PSALM 68:4- THE SACRED NAME- THE LORD MOST VEHEMENT
QANNA - EXODUS 34:14- JEALOUS

JEHOSHUA-MATTHEW 3:15 - JESUS -JOSHUA- GOD SAVES
This is the Greek form of the Hebrew name Joshua, which was originally Hoshea (Num_13:8, Num_13:16), but changed by Moses into Jehoshua (Num_13:16; 1Ch_7:27), or Joshua. After the Exile it assumed the form Jeshua, whence the Greek form JESUS. It was given to our Lord to denote the object of his mission, to save (Mat_1:21). ( COURTESY EASTON BIBLE DICTIONARY)

ELOI- MARK 15:34- MY GOD
ABBA- MARK 14:36- FATHER
EMMANUEL- MATTHEW 1:23- GOD WITH US
LORD-

Very good study GodSpeaks ... Not much to comment as you have pretty well said it all . I will just post all the names of God . Thanks for this study .

THE NAMES OF GOD

JEHOVAH- ISAIAH 26:4 -GOD EVERLASTING STRENGTH, ROCK OF AGES
JEHOVAH NISSI- EXODUS 17:15- THE LORD MY BANNER
JEHOVAH SHALOM- JUDGES 6:24- THE LORD SEND PEACE
JEHOVAH SHAMMAH - EZEKIAL 48:35 -THE LORD IS THERE
JEHOVAH TSIDKENU- JEREMIAH 23:6- THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS
JEHOVAH ROPHE- EXODUS 15:26- THE LORD HEALS
JEHOVAH ROHI- PSALM 23:1- THE LORD MY SHEPHERD
JEHOVAH M’KADDESH- EXODUS 31:13- THE LORD WHO SANCTIFIES
JEHOVAH SABAOTH- 1 SAMUEL 15:2 THE LORD OF HOSTS
ISHI- HOSEA 2:16- HUSBAND
BAALI - HOSEA 2:16- MY LORD
ADONAY- DEUTERONOMY 10:17- LORD AND FATHER
ADONE HA ADONIM- DEUTERONOMY 10:17- LORD OF LORDS
EL ELYON- GENESIS 14:22- GOD MOST HIGH
EL SHADDAI- GENESIS 17:1- THE GOD ALMIGHTY
ANIY HAYAH- I AM- EXODUS 3:14- I EXIST (LITERALLY THE SELF EXISTANT ETERNAL GOD)
ELOHIM- GENESIS 2:4- GREAT , JUDGE, ANGEL BUT WITH THE DEFINITIVE ARTICLE SUPREME GOD
EL ELOE- GENESIS 33:20- THE GOD OF JACOB
JAH- PSALM 68:4- THE SACRED NAME- THE LORD MOST VEHEMENT
QANNA - EXODUS 34:14- JEALOUS

JEHOSHUA-MATTHEW 3:15 - JESUS -JOSHUA- GOD SAVES
This is the Greek form of the Hebrew name Joshua, which was originally Hoshea (Num_13:8, Num_13:16), but changed by Moses into Jehoshua (Num_13:16; 1Ch_7:27), or Joshua. After the Exile it assumed the form Jeshua, whence the Greek form JESUS. It was given to our Lord to denote the object of his mission, to save (Mat_1:21). ( COURTESY EASTON BIBLE DICTIONARY)

ELOI- MARK 15:34- MY GOD
ABBA- MARK 14:36- FATHER
EMMANUEL- MATTHEW 1:23- GOD WITH US
LORD-

Since the name of God was brought up, I just want to add something about the proper name of God:

There is yet another name which is particularly assigned to God as His special or proper name, that is, the four letters YHWH (Exodus 3:14 and Isaiah 42:8). This name has not been pronounced by the Jews because of reverence for the great sacredness of the divine name. Therefore, it has been consistently translated LORD. The only exception to this translation of YHWH is when it occurs in immediate proximity to the word Lord, that is, Adonai. In that case it is regularly translated GOD in order to avoid confusion.

From the preface of the New American Standard version

Since the name of God was brought up, I just want to add something about the proper name of God:

There is yet another name which is particularly assigned to God as His special or proper name, that is, the four letters YHWH (Exodus 3:14 and Isaiah 42:8). This name has not been pronounced by the Jews because of reverence for the great sacredness of the divine name. Therefore, it has been consistently translated LORD. The only exception to this translation of YHWH is when it occurs in immediate proximity to the word Lord, that is, Adonai. In that case it is regularly translated GOD in order to avoid confusion.

From the preface of the New American Standard version

That is also good info , John .... Thanks

God says to us : I am these things, I am love, this is my nature, my character, this is what I created man to be, in the image and likeness of Me

To Know God is to be like Him and to be like Him is eternal Life. Christ came that we might know the Father, in fact the scripture says over and over that He is the exact representation and the revelation of the Father.

In John 17:3 "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent."

Christ came that we might know the Father, in fact the scripture says over and over that He is the exact representation and the revelation of the Father.

Back then most thought God was mean and harsh, that was their concept of Him. They couldn't imagine Him being like a Father. So Jesus came and revealed to them the nature and love of our Father. He's love, joy and peace. He's merciful and kind.

So Last night I was reflecting on my day and thought of this thread and God's Character . What an awesome God and I was asking myself . Where is God ? He is everywhere and we see Him in His beautiful nature .

Yesterday I was sitting in my friend's well manicured back yard with the trees in blossem , the green , green grass and the birds flitting around , happy in song . It was such a serile and serene sight . My friend and I just sat .... not talking and as I listened to all the sounds of the birds and the trickle of her water fountain with little chickadees stopping for a drink , I thought . God gave this all to me . What an awesome God we serve . How much more does He think about me ; if He gives the birds food and water ? My God supplies all my need.

God is surely my provider.

This is how we know if it something from God or the devil. Is Killing? Stealing? destroying? Then its not God. Jesus plainly tells us who is the source of these things and we to believe Him and what God's Word says.

Amen!

Many Christians think everything that happens, even tragedies, are from God. But that’s just all they have ever heard for years and years so they don’t know this verse or either haven’t gotten the revelation of it. Some think every time you do something wrong God’s going to hit you over the head. That’s their concepts of God.

This is how a very good friend of mine believes. She's always saying, "God's gonna get you for that!"

I don't believe God works that way because of 1 Chronicles 16:34 that says, "Oh, give thanks to the LORD, for He is good! For His mercy endures forever."

praiseviv.gif

So Last night I was reflecting on my day and thought of this thread and God's Character . What an awesome God and I was asking myself . Where is God ? He is everywhere and we see Him in His beautiful nature .

Yes was have an awesome God! God is good all the time :D

This is how a very good friend of mine believes. She's always saying, "God's gonna get you for that!"

I've heard that also. You're right. God is not "gonna get you". When we do something we shouldn't we do it to ourself. It had nothing to do with God.

GodSpeaks said:
If it was true everything is from God why did Jesus heal the sick and cast out devils? Why did he raise the dead and calms the storm ? So everything that happens cannot be God. Some blame God for problems and even turn form Him. But GOD is not our problem He’s our answer.

For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil [1John 3:8b]

Luke 9:53-56 (King James Version)

53And they did not receive him, because his face was as though he would go to Jerusalem.
54And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did?
55But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of.
56For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them. And they went to another village.

God wants to save lives . not destroy them .

This is an awesome part of his character .

I love all those names of God. They tell us of His character. Intregrity is another characteristic of God. What He speaks to us through His Word we can count on and stand on it .

Numbers 23:19
God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?
Isaiah 55:11
So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

John 17:17
Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth

Back