The "Chosen People"

God has His own special purpose for all individuals, peoples, and nations. I believe He chose the Hebrews as a people set aside to be examples to other peoples and nations to show that He is the only One true living God. In Old Testament times the known world was rife with worship of idols and other practices detestable to God. He wanted a people who were to be kept separate and clean, and to worship only Him. Historically, when the Hebrews strayed from the worship of God, He made his displeasure extremely clear to them, and by doing so, he set them forth as an example to all posterity the pitfalls of falling away from God.

There are also authors who have postulated that the Hebrews, the 144,000 of the 12 tribes will in the end times be the ones fervently witnessing for Christ as a final effort to save as much of mankind as possible. It's an interesting thought. I personally feel that God has special plans for Israel that still have to come to fruition, whatever those plans may be.

I do not think that God 'favors' any one people over another, but that he utilizes certain peoples for His own purposes.God wants all peoples to come to Him in love and of their own free will. He wants us all to share in His love, and He wants to bless His children when they come to him in humble obedience. He has specific purposes for each and every one of us, and we are ALL special to Him - every single soul.

Greetings:
Paul says do everything in moderation.But,the Jews don't have to.So if drastic measures have to be taken,as in holding down Jerusalem,we do our easy part and they go bananas,Aside (1)-they(religious Jews) take the law to far,while the marxists go totally secular.
bye

Israel still is God's chosen people, even if a majority of them have (currently) turned their backs on Him. There is a 'time' of the Gentiles (Luke 21:24). There is a time set aside that the Gentiles might be a witness to the Jews, to provoke them to jealousy. (Romans 10:19)

Paul made it clear that the Jews come first (because they were chosen first), (Romans 2:10), but notice the preceding verse. "There will be tribulation and distress for every human being who does evil, the Jew first and also the Greek" (Romans 2:9 ESV), so they don't receive any "special treatment". If anything, He is more strict with them.

God is always stricter with those He loves. Judgement begins with the household of God (1 Peter 4:17)

We (the Gentiles) are part of the Body of Christ (branches on the Vine), but must remember we were "grafted in" by the grace of God. We did not replace the Jews. (Romans 11:17-24)

I agree with Egraine that God doesn't show favouritism. He doesn't LOVE one person more than another. Its not in His nature. GOD IS LOVE. But he does call different people(s) according to His will and purpose.

Israel still is God's chosen people, even if a majority of them have (currently) turned their backs on Him. There is a 'time' of the Gentiles (Luke 21:24). There is a time set aside that the Gentiles might be a witness to the Jews, to provoke them to jealousy. (Romans 10:19)

Paul made it clear that the Jews come first (because they were chosen first), (Romans 2:10), but notice the preceding verse. "There will be tribulation and distress for every human being who does evil, the Jew first and also the Greek" (Romans 2:9 ESV), so they don't receive any "special treatment". If anything, He is more strict with them.

God is always stricter with those He loves. Judgement begins with the household of God (1 Peter 4:17)

We (the Gentiles) are part of the Body of Christ (branches on the Vine), but must remember we were "grafted in" by the grace of God. We did not replace the Jews. (Romans 11:17-24)

I agree with Egraine that God doesn't show favouritism. He doesn't LOVE one person more than another. Its not in His nature. GOD IS LOVE. But he does call different people(s) according to His will and purpose.
Agreed.

God has His own special purpose for all individuals, peoples, and nations. I believe He chose the Hebrews as a people set aside to be examples to other peoples and nations to show that He is the only One true living God. In Old Testament times the known world was rife with worship of idols and other practices detestable to God. He wanted a people who were to be kept separate and clean, and to worship only Him. Historically, when the Hebrews strayed from the worship of God, He made his displeasure extremely clear to them, and by doing so, he set them forth as an example to all posterity the pitfalls of falling away from God.

There are also authors who have postulated that the Hebrews, the 144,000 of the 12 tribes will in the end times be the ones fervently witnessing for Christ as a final effort to save as much of mankind as possible. It's an interesting thought. I personally feel that God has special plans for Israel that still have to come to fruition, whatever those plans may be.

I do not think that God 'favors' any one people over another, but that he utilizes certain peoples for His own purposes.God wants all peoples to come to Him in love and of their own free will. He wants us all to share in His love, and He wants to bless His children when they come to him in humble obedience. He has specific purposes for each and every one of us, and we are ALL special to Him - every single soul.

Acts 10:34........
"Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons".

Israelites were God’s chosen people. What do you believe that means and do you think God favors them over other groups of people?

Deut. 7:7-9 tells us............
"The LORD did not set His affection on you and choose you because you were more numerous than other peoples, for you were the fewest of all peoples. But it was because the LORD loved you and kept the oath He swore to your forefathers that He brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the land of slavery, from the power of Pharaoh king of Egypt. Know therefore that the LORD your God is God; He is the faithful God, keeping His covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love Him and keep His commands.”

Jesus Christ is the ultimate reason why God chose Israel to be His special people. God did not need to have a chosen people, but He decided to do it that way. Jesus had to come from some nation of people, and God chose Israel.

However, God’s reason for choosing the nation of Israel was not solely for the purpose of producing the Messiah. God’s desire for Israel was that they would go and teach others about Him. Israel was to be a nation of priests, prophets, and missionaries to the world. God’s intent was for Israel to be a distinct people, a nation who pointed others towards God and His promised provision of a Redeemer, Messiah, and Savior. For the most part, Israel failed in this task. However, God’s ultimate purpose for Israel—that of bringing the Messiah into the world—was fulfilled perfectly in the Person of Jesus Christ.
(https://www.gotquestions.org/why-God-choose-Israel.html).

Israelites were God’s chosen people. What do you believe that means and do you think God favors them over other groups of people?
Great choice of words. You really pinned down the real issues here.

Chosen and favored are interconnected, but not the same thing.

NO FAVORITES
All people on earth are loved by God equally because God created us all. We are all equally precious to God - John 3:16

God shows no favorites - Acts 10:34, Romans 2:11

CHOSEN ONES - SET ASIDE FOR A SPECIAL PURPOSE
Israelites and Christians are both Chosen by God as His special people/possession. God calls us both His beloved people/family.

1. Israelites - Deuteronomy 7:6, Deuteronomy 14:2, 1 Kings 3:8, 2 Chronicles 6:5, Psalms 33:12
2. Believers in Christ - 1 Peter 2:9, Romans 11:24, John 10:16, Ephesians 1:5-6, Ephesians 2:12-13, Ephesians 2:19

Both Israelites and Christians are loved/called/chosen, but the only reason either of us is chosen is because we answered the call. If either of us refused to answer the call of God, we would not be God's chosen people today.

The Israelites answered the call of God at Mount Sinai, and we answered the call of God at the Cross. - Matthew 20:16, Matthew 22:14, John 3:16, Psalms 95:7,Exodus 19:5-8, Joshua 24:14-15

FAVORED
Who exactly gets favored by God. I searched scripture and found 3 groups. Maybe there are more, but I found 3:

1. Any who are righteous/love God/love good. Psalms 5:12, Proverbs 12:2
2. Any who love God's wisdom. Proverbs 8:35
3. Any who are chosen by God. Psalms 106:4

God Bless you my dear friend.

Back