The constant defense of nostalgia and refusal to move on truly annoys me

Note: this is not Christian related, as I have this lurking in my mind for a while now. And I don’t want to stir up any arguments either, I just need to get this off my chest. And be warned, some of the descriptions are not for those with weak stomachs.

I will be honest. I have nothing against nostalgia, it’s a fond memory to go back into and look back into the past days of our lives. Unfortunately, the main problem I have with it is that we are too obsessed over it to the point where we reject anything (or everything) new or recent. Not only that, we are SO obsessed that we get downright defensive over it when an open-minded person calls us out on our rubbish. Remember the phrase “take off your nostalgia goggles and get out of the past”? This remains tried and true for over a decade now, but unfortunately we fail to acknowledge our narrow-mindedness. Because when someone tells us to stop having a toxic obsession over the past and move on, we get defensive and say “you’re just saying that just to protect modern media from the constructive criticism it rightfully deserves”, “it is not nostalgia, it’s just a fact, stop treating it as such”, or even “you’re just upset because you can’t handle grown adults clinging onto kids’ show that are at least over a decade old”.

I have done this before, including things that I have NOT grown up with because I wanted to be like 90s kids even though I was born in 2000. I foolishly believed that everything from the past was good and everything in the modern days are awful. And when people started to call me out, I replied that I wasn’t driven by nostalgia (I WAS) and that what I’ve known about the horribleness of the modern world is true (I was exaggerating, I completely ignored the good things that happened nowadays). Thankfully, I’ve gotten over this a couple years after I’ve reached adulthood. Sadly, there are many people today that refuse to learn from their mistakes and constantly defending everything from the past, ignoring all the bad things that occurred at the time. Every time I hear a comment or article that reads “Disney/Nickelodeon/etc. is no longer safe for kids because… (insert pathetic reason here)” or “this is the (curse word) kids today have to put up with, today’s sitcoms are a perfect description of modern day teenagers, egotistical, obnoxious, disrespectful, pampered, spoiled, ignorant, etc., look at Hannah Montana for example, Disney turned her into an entitled monster!”, I want to bash my head through my living room wall with rage. Speaking of Hannah Montana and musical sitcoms, so many people complain over them having child/teen actors perform horrible singing relied on autotune and their audiences (or the entire population for that matter) worship the living daylight out of them. Then they complain over these shows being popular to the point of becoming franchises and having their songs played in the background of shops and malls.

I also cannot stand the naivety of society who get upset over the existence of remakes or sequels of media that already exist and fail to acknowledge that THEY are the ones who have obsessed with it in the first place. I’ve seen the common neverending rage against Disney live action remakes claiming that “nobody asked for them” and “they’re ruining our childhoods and deviating from what made the originals good in the first place”. They also claim that Hollywood only cares about making money (who doesn’t? The makers behind famous movies are ordinary people as well. It’s a man-eating-man world out there and without any money, how are you going to survive? How would anyone survive without the necessity to the privileges of basic needs such as food and water without turning to the brinks of misery, insanity, or even cannibalism?) and only care about themselves (ironically we love to claim that yet we fail to see the same problem in ourselves, in other words we fail to acknowledge that nobody is perfect). What I find to be absolutely hypocritical is that we would use that as an excuse to back up our opinionated entitlement. In other words, we complain about live action remakes being awful yet we go to see them anyway. Ever wonder why the remakes of Beauty and the Beast and Lion King were box office hits? Because we’re delusional sadists that get enjoyment out of torturing people who are just trying to make a living!

One more complaint before I end this off, is that people claim that there is a lack of originality in media these days. That complaint is so hilariously ridiculous that I feel the urge to vomit my own blood to the point of anemia or even death. The irony of it all is that originality has already been lackluster for a long time now. And the obnoxious entitlement mindset of society of chronic complaining over minor things and then backing them up with lousy excuses when there are plenty of ways to ease their needs like “I hate the decision Hollywood made with X, how dare they dare they not do Y, and I will not stop complaining until I get what I want RIGHT NOW!!”. This is it, the Veruca Salt “I want it now” syndrome, the main source of the problem within ourselves to torture and blame our peers if we don’t get what we want. We act like we’re entitled to our past and have the right to demand it while treating others like garbage, when that’s not how reality works.

I’ve learned that we are a mess but we are so entitled to our opinions that we fail to understand the logic being offered to us. We have refused to move on and yet we still wonder why we’re stuck in the same old awful positions we’re in now. I was shamed for liking boy bands, tween sitcoms, and so-called generic pop music as a child because that was what the majority teen/adult male population have grown to hate because it didn’t fit THEIR demographic. These days I’ve realized there’s nothing with what I like and I shouldn’t let others’ biased statements get the better of me, even though they are generally annoying and close-minded. In my personal experience, they can complain about the Mario movie all they like, but honestly I really don’t care, I’m still going to the theater to watch it anyway when it comes out, and if they don’t like it, that’s their loss.

We act like we’re entitled to our past and have the right to demand it
This is quite an astute observation.

The truth is we all are born into a specific place and time and we naturally accept that environment as "how it is", but the world continues to turn and time still passes and your "how it is" will not be the same as the next generation's nor was is the same as the prior's.

Note: this is not Christian related, as I have this lurking in my mind for a while now. And I don’t want to stir up any arguments either, I just need to get this off my chest. And be warned, some of the descriptions are not for those with weak stomachs.

I will be honest. I have nothing against nostalgia, it’s a fond memory to go back into and look back into the past days of our lives. Unfortunately, the main problem I have with it is that we are too obsessed over it to the point where we reject anything (or everything) new or recent. Not only that, we are SO obsessed that we get downright defensive over it when an open-minded person calls us out on our rubbish. Remember the phrase “take off your nostalgia goggles and get out of the past”? This remains tried and true for over a decade now, but unfortunately we fail to acknowledge our narrow-mindedness. Because when someone tells us to stop having a toxic obsession over the past and move on, we get defensive and say “you’re just saying that just to protect modern media from the constructive criticism it rightfully deserves”, “it is not nostalgia, it’s just a fact, stop treating it as such”, or even “you’re just upset because you can’t handle grown adults clinging onto kids’ show that are at least over a decade old”.

I have done this before, including things that I have NOT grown up with because I wanted to be like 90s kids even though I was born in 2000. I foolishly believed that everything from the past was good and everything in the modern days are awful. And when people started to call me out, I replied that I wasn’t driven by nostalgia (I WAS) and that what I’ve known about the horribleness of the modern world is true (I was exaggerating, I completely ignored the good things that happened nowadays). Thankfully, I’ve gotten over this a couple years after I’ve reached adulthood. Sadly, there are many people today that refuse to learn from their mistakes and constantly defending everything from the past, ignoring all the bad things that occurred at the time. Every time I hear a comment or article that reads “Disney/Nickelodeon/etc. is no longer safe for kids because… (insert pathetic reason here)” or “this is the (curse word) kids today have to put up with, today’s sitcoms are a perfect description of modern day teenagers, egotistical, obnoxious, disrespectful, pampered, spoiled, ignorant, etc., look at Hannah Montana for example, Disney turned her into an entitled monster!”, I want to bash my head through my living room wall with rage. Speaking of Hannah Montana and musical sitcoms, so many people complain over them having child/teen actors perform horrible singing relied on autotune and their audiences (or the entire population for that matter) worship the living daylight out of them. Then they complain over these shows being popular to the point of becoming franchises and having their songs played in the background of shops and malls.

I also cannot stand the naivety of society who get upset over the existence of remakes or sequels of media that already exist and fail to acknowledge that THEY are the ones who have obsessed with it in the first place. I’ve seen the common neverending rage against Disney live action remakes claiming that “nobody asked for them” and “they’re ruining our childhoods and deviating from what made the originals good in the first place”. They also claim that Hollywood only cares about making money (who doesn’t? The makers behind famous movies are ordinary people as well. It’s a man-eating-man world out there and without any money, how are you going to survive? How would anyone survive without the necessity to the privileges of basic needs such as food and water without turning to the brinks of misery, insanity, or even cannibalism?) and only care about themselves (ironically we love to claim that yet we fail to see the same problem in ourselves, in other words we fail to acknowledge that nobody is perfect). What I find to be absolutely hypocritical is that we would use that as an excuse to back up our opinionated entitlement. In other words, we complain about live action remakes being awful yet we go to see them anyway. Ever wonder why the remakes of Beauty and the Beast and Lion King were box office hits? Because we’re delusional sadists that get enjoyment out of torturing people who are just trying to make a living!

One more complaint before I end this off, is that people claim that there is a lack of originality in media these days. That complaint is so hilariously ridiculous that I feel the urge to vomit my own blood to the point of anemia or even death. The irony of it all is that originality has already been lackluster for a long time now. And the obnoxious entitlement mindset of society of chronic complaining over minor things and then backing them up with lousy excuses when there are plenty of ways to ease their needs like “I hate the decision Hollywood made with X, how dare they dare they not do Y, and I will not stop complaining until I get what I want RIGHT NOW!!”. This is it, the Veruca Salt “I want it now” syndrome, the main source of the problem within ourselves to torture and blame our peers if we don’t get what we want. We act like we’re entitled to our past and have the right to demand it while treating others like garbage, when that’s not how reality works.

I’ve learned that we are a mess but we are so entitled to our opinions that we fail to understand the logic being offered to us. We have refused to move on and yet we still wonder why we’re stuck in the same old awful positions we’re in now. I was shamed for liking boy bands, tween sitcoms, and so-called generic pop music as a child because that was what the majority teen/adult male population have grown to hate because it didn’t fit THEIR demographic. These days I’ve realized there’s nothing with what I like and I shouldn’t let others’ biased statements get the better of me, even though they are generally annoying and close-minded. In my personal experience, they can complain about the Mario movie all they like, but honestly I really don’t care, I’m still going to the theater to watch it anyway when it comes out, and if they don’t like it, that’s their loss.
Alexander Pope, the great 17th century British writer, offered this sage aphorism: "Be not the first to put on the new or the last to take off the old."

This is quite an astute observation.

The truth is we all are born into a specific place and time and we naturally accept that environment as "how it is", but the world continues to turn and time still passes and your "how it is" will not be the same as the next generation's nor was is the same as the prior's.
I agree with what you’re saying but in all honesty it is certainly not an excuse to bash and inject massive hate and guilt into younger generations to make them feel worthless and that there is no good aspect they have in them and the interests they have.

Alexander Pope, the great 17th century British writer, offered this sage aphorism: "Be not the first to put on the new or the last to take off the old."
I honestly dislike the usage of this phrase because it completely ignores what I’m actually trying to incite. The meaning behind my OP is that you don’t need to rid yourself of the old entirely but to reposition the point of view into becoming more accepting of the new (not everything, just enough to consider that there is still good in the modern world today). True no generation is created equal but we have to acknowledge that the past was definitely not a land of lollipops and sunshine, and the present is not as bad as we would like to claim to be.

Yes Covid-19 IS a horrible disease and the pandemic most definitely makes us miserable, but again so was the Spanish Flu that occurred over a century ago. We act like it’s the end of the world when we don’t realize that we’ve suffered through recessions and pandemics before. True many people have died from illness, but there are still people who have survived through them. I’ve had BOTH the flu AND Covid-19 twice throughout my entire life but I have survived. God is still good, he has never changed, he’s in fact the only person who will never change because why should he?

The difference is that we need to slowly adapt to God’s ways and change our mindset of how the world is to us. It is a necessity to see bad in things but it is also a necessity to see good in those same things too. Only our savior can help us conquer our biases to be more accepting of the world and society today and still treasure the truly good memories of the past. Our happy memories will never disappear but we have to learn to make new ones today so we can look back at those in the future as well. And so the cycle of happiness and thankfulness shall repeat.

Hello PTSDintheAsylum;

I'm impressed with all you're sharing in your opening thread, The constant defense of nostalgia and refusal to move on truly annoys me

There is no way I would have had your thoughts and words when I was 22 or 23 years old, and I had my own personality issues. Back when I expressed my thoughts and words in my 20s - late 30s there were many, many people who didn't understand me.

Starting with obsession over entertainment like TV shows, music, games going back to board games, the first electronic game called Pong using the TV monitor and places of interest like amusement parks, sports, and spending time with nature, etc...(there are so many human things to do.)

Obsession is a normal human vice and I'll say it again. Obsession is a normal human vice. We all have them but in different case to case lives of people.

My personal obsessions was the TV hit, Miami Vice. It aired in 1984 and lasted 5 years. I had to be home by 10pm just to watch my weekly show. I was obsessed with the storyline, background sound and old MTV songs for dramatic effect and how cool Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas were as vice cops. I used to force my friends to watch it with me. YIKES! Later my wife gave me the Miami Vice DVD box set for Christmas.

I'm also a musician since I was 11. I grew up on rock and was blown away by the artistic compositions of psychedelic and hard rock styles of the bands in the late 60s and 70s. I would play their albums, cassettes and CDS and learn to play and sing their music on guitar in my own band.

When Disney,
Nickelodeon, MTV and the others came out I remember old reruns like Leave It To Beaver. Wally Cleaver (Tony Dow,) the Beaver (Jerry Mathers) were dorks, and Eddie Haskell (Ken Osmond) was a kiss --- and I'll leave it at that.

I heard of Hannah Montana. I didn't watch it but I knew Billy Ray Cyrus who played her dad and I always felt Billy Ray is a good musician and he grew up in the faith.

I love baseball, football, soccer, basketball and most sports. I played but also had season tickets as a spectator for a couple of teams. I was obsessed to see them each season so I flashed my credit card to renew our season tickets. Each day I knew the boxscores and statistics of the athletes. I was obsessed.

I can go on and on with so many past nostalgics that possessed my life. Truth is, I enjoyed my obsessions whether clean or unhealthy. It brought me a laugh or entertainment. But as time passed by, I got older and learned to let go.

Miami Vice is so outdated and I hardly watch it anymore. The music of past will always be timeless but I now enjoy symphonies, light jazz and good Christian music. I don't follow sports, only when I hear the outcome of championship games. Finally, Ken Osmond (Eddie Haskell) died in 2020 of COPD.

People will always have their obsessions with nostalgia and today's times, that's not going to stop. By pointing this out to them is not going to change their minds for most people. But we can listen and receive them as they express their obsessions and as long as it's not life threatening to them or others. If their obsessions are ridiculous, it's what they bring upon themselves. In this case, just love them and let them go.

The stuff I enjoyed when I was 22-23 (and I still remember those years) is so much different today. Today my problem is I deal with many Christians who are obsessed with church and their vice leads to division, unacceptance and anger toward other Christians and non-believers. Instead of remaining obsessed with church, we should all be obsessed with God.

I don't have all the answers to your thread, PTSD, but I have always been a people person and I have crossed so many paths in my old age. So I feel I hear where you're coming from.

Please see the perspective from where I stand. I hope it will help you a little.

God bless
you, sister.

Hello PTSDintheAsylum;

I'm impressed with all you're sharing in your opening thread, The constant defense of nostalgia and refusal to move on truly annoys me

There is no way I would have had your thoughts and words when I was 22 or 23 years old, and I had my own personality issues. Back when I expressed my thoughts and words in my 20s - late 30s there were many, many people who didn't understand me.

Starting with obsession over entertainment like TV shows, music, games going back to board games, the first electronic game called Pong using the TV monitor and places of interest like amusement parks, sports, and spending time with nature, etc...(there are so many human things to do.)

Obsession is a normal human vice and I'll say it again. Obsession is a normal human vice. We all have them but in different case to case lives of people.

My personal obsessions was the TV hit, Miami Vice. It aired in 1984 and lasted 5 years. I had to be home by 10pm just to watch my weekly show. I was obsessed with the storyline, background sound and old MTV songs for dramatic effect and how cool Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas were as vice cops. I used to force my friends to watch it with me. YIKES! Later my wife gave me the Miami Vice DVD box set for Christmas.

I'm also a musician since I was 11. I grew up on rock and was blown away by the artistic compositions of psychedelic and hard rock styles of the bands in the late 60s and 70s. I would play their albums, cassettes and CDS and learn to play and sing their music on guitar in my own band.

When Disney,
Nickelodeon, MTV and the others came out I remember old reruns like Leave It To Beaver. Wally Cleaver (Tony Dow,) the Beaver (Jerry Mathers) were dorks, and Eddie Haskell (Ken Osmond) was a kiss --- and I'll leave it at that.

I heard of Hannah Montana. I didn't watch it but I knew Billy Ray Cyrus who played her dad and I always felt Billy Ray is a good musician and he grew up in the faith.

I love baseball, football, soccer, basketball and most sports. I played but also had season tickets as a spectator for a couple of teams. I was obsessed to see them each season so I flashed my credit card to renew our season tickets. Each day I knew the boxscores and statistics of the athletes. I was obsessed.

I can go on and on with so many past nostalgics that possessed my life. Truth is, I enjoyed my obsessions whether clean or unhealthy. It brought me a laugh or entertainment. But as time passed by, I got older and learned to let go.

Miami Vice is so outdated and I hardly watch it anymore. The music of past will always be timeless but I now enjoy symphonies, light jazz and good Christian music. I don't follow sports, only when I hear the outcome of championship games. Finally, Ken Osmond (Eddie Haskell) died in 2020 of COPD.

People will always have their obsessions with nostalgia and today's times, that's not going to stop. By pointing this out to them is not going to change their minds for most people. But we can listen and receive them as they express their obsessions and as long as it's not life threatening to them or others. If their obsessions are ridiculous, it's what they bring upon themselves. In this case, just love them and let them go.

The stuff I enjoyed when I was 22-23 (and I still remember those years) is so much different today. Today my problem is I deal with many Christians who are obsessed with church and their vice leads to division, unacceptance and anger toward other Christians and non-believers. Instead of remaining obsessed with church, we should all be obsessed with God.

I don't have all the answers to your thread, PTSD, but I have always been a people person and I have crossed so many paths in my old age. So I feel I hear where you're coming from.

Please see the perspective from where I stand. I hope it will help you a little.

God bless
you, sister.
Miami Vice use to drive me crazy. Having grown up in Miami, I knew every time they turned the block and were not where they should be. Also drove me nuts that their HQ was on Lincoln Mall and was actually a clothing store. They were only 7 blocks from the read PD HQ, so never figured out why they did that.

Miami Vice use to drive me crazy. Having grown up in Miami, I knew every time they turned the block and were not where they should be. Also drove me nuts that their HQ was on Lincoln Mall and was actually a clothing store. They were only 7 blocks from the read PD HQ, so never figured out why they did that.

lol! Ray, I had no idea! I read in TV Guide (remember them?) an article that the real Miami Vice officers stated none of the stuff on TV was real.
But my obsession overlooked the reality of the real Miami Vice.

I find the best way to live is just to live for today but if today is not good I remind myself tomorrow may be better
If I am having a really bad day I tell myself to look for the things in today that I have missed. There is always something I haven't thanked God for

One day at a time.
Blessings

I find the best way to live is just to live for today but if today is not good I remind myself tomorrow may be better If I am having a really bad day I tell myself to look for the things in today that I have missed. There is always something I haven't thanked God for One day at a time.
Blessings

Amen, Cosia. Like when I was 7 it took me time to get over the fear of Dr. Who and the Daleks. The Daleks looked scary until they seemed to be the grandfather of R2D2 from Star Wars. Since then my future has been as peace. lol!

maxresdefault.jpg

I can understand where you’re coming from. I’ve never heard of Miami Vice until recently. As for me, I will never understand why so many people like Quack Pack. The show was ageist, stereotypical, and completely derivative of the original 80s Ducktales. Also I will never understand why they make more focus out of Huey, Dewey, and Louie when they have a lack of distinctive personalities that tells them apart other than the color of their clothes. Sure it was critically panned back then, but these days a bunch of 90s babies are defending it mainly because it was from the 90s.

A lot of people say that Ducktales was a 90s cartoon when it aired through the late 80s and ended in 1990. And I’ve kept hearing over how I’m wrong for thinking the decade era ends by the new year of a new one and that the 90s began in 1987 and ended in 2004, and I’m literally just baffled. I honestly don’t care about this so-called era people claim it to be. I personally call Ducktales an 80s cartoon simply because it mostly aired in the late 80s. As for reruns, I can understand why many people make that mistake since it aired reruns throughout the 90s. However I don’t go by the era many others tend to go because I like order and I have a better being less judgmental of later decades.

Amen, Cosia. Like when I was 7 it took me time to get over the fear of Dr. Who and the Daleks. The Daleks looked scary until they seemed to be the grandfather of R2D2 from Star Wars. Since then my future has been as peace. lol!
Dr Who is still going after many years. There was a female Dr Who a few tears ago but I think they are back to a male one again now 🤣
My favorite episode that has always stuck with me over the years, (30-35 years?), was the scene of a room that the Doctor and the sidekick were trapped in that had only two doors to exit. One door was the safe way out, the other was utter destruction. There were also two robots in the room as well. Information was given to them that one robot always told the truth, the other robot always told a lie, but it was impossible to tell which one was which. And, you only could ask one robot just one question. What was the question that would help them to freedom?

My favorite episode that has always stuck with me over the years, (30-35 years?), was the scene of a room that the Doctor and the sidekick were trapped in that had only two doors to exit. One door was the safe way out, the other was utter destruction. There were also two robots in the room as well. Information was given to them that one robot always told the truth, the other robot always told a lie, but it was impossible to tell which one was which. And, you only could ask one robot just one question. What was the question that would help them to freedom?

Hello Big Moose;

Did they show Dr. Who in the US?

Ask one robot what the other robot would say if you had asked them. Then take no to mean yes and vice versa.
Very close. Ask one of the robots, "Which door would the other robot say is the safe exit?" Whichever door the robot says, take the other door to safety.
The logic is, if you ask the robot that lies, he will tell you the opposite of what the truth telling robot will say, which will be the wrong door. If you ask the robot that tells the truth, he will truthfully tell you what the lying robot would say, which again, would be the wrong door.

Back