The Cost of Being a Disciple

The Cost of Being a Disciple

If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters-yes, even his own life-he cannot be my disciple.

-Luke 14:26

I'm trying to understand this. It seems to be an extremely deep statement. I'd like to hear everyone's views about this verse. If you like, you can talk about Luke 14:25 to 14:35. That entire section focuses on teaching about everything that we must learn to give up to follow Jesus. I'm having a tough time dealing with it.

I have always considered that Jesus is leading us completely into death to our old selves, ways , thoughts, emotions , etc. I have heard it said that until you die completely to your old self and find yourself in Christ you will never really know how to love. Dieing to self, picking up the cross, laying down the old man- that is our call. Jesus Himself refused to be disturbed by a mother and brothers who really didn't understand- they thought He was beside Himself and were afraid for Him - His response-

Mat 12:46 While he yet talked to the people, behold, his mother and his brethren stood without, desiring to speak with him.
Mat 12:47 Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee.
Mat 12:48 But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?
Mat 12:49 And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
Mat 12:50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

Jesus tells us our very families may be split by our love for Him but we must never look back and be willing to give all for Him

what it means is if your not with jesus you say things contradictory to jesus without them knowing.they will be controlled if you like to say rubbish.to read the bible and to have jesus opens your eyes to this,the enemy is in your own house.

I found this on another forum and I think it is relevant to this thread.

It concerns St Francis of Assisi. As you know St Francis became famous for giving up all material things and giving them to the needy and the poor.

During prayer it is said that he received this command:

"Francis! Everything you have loved and desired in the flesh it is your duty to despise and hate, if you wish to know my will. And when you have begun this, all that now seems sweet and lovely to you will become intolerable and bitter, but all that you used to avoid will turn itself to great sweetness and exceeding joy."

What do you think?

First maybe we should look at the word disciple and see what is meant....In the greek..(.mathetes, A learner) A pupil of a teacher--- like the disciples of John the Baptist ( Matt 9:14 )the Pharisees--- (22:16) and Moses ) John 9 :28 )

Usually however it refers to the adherents of Jesus --- the twelve apostles.( Matt 10:1 ; 11 :1 ) or believers in general ( Acts 6:1-2; 7:9:36 )

Followers of Jesus were not called "Christians" until the founding of the church at Antioch ( 11:26)

I like what Brother Larry says about putting all aside .... laying it all down ... dying to self. Then and only then can we be real followers of Jesus. Then we can learn more about Him and be a true student that Jesus Christ desires of us. He comes first and our mother , father and family next in that order.

Luk 14:26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.
Luk 14:27 And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.
Luk 14:28 For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it?
Luk 14:29 Lest haply, after he hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish it, all that behold it begin to mock him,
Luk 14:30 Saying, This man began to build, and was not able to finish.
Luk 14:31 Or what king, going to make war against another king, sitteth not down first, and consulteth whether he be able with ten thousand to meet him that cometh against him with twenty thousand?
Luk 14:32 Or else, while the other is yet a great way off, he sendeth ambassadors, and desireth conditions of peace.
Luk 14:33 So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.

I believe the problem many have with this scripure is the word "hate". If it said; "Care not enough for", "care less for than" or "not to love as much in comparison with Jesus" then many would understand and accept it more easily. Often times scripture refers an action that either appears to be one of lack of love or concern for another as hate.
In context of this scripture and in other scripture that is what the word "hate" means.

Pro 13:24 He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him quickly.
For instance here in proverbs we are told that one hates his sone if he does not dicipline him.Obviously (in contest) not caring enough to discipline ones son is not the same as hatred. Naturaly a one time failure to disipline ones child is not out and out hatred but more of an indication of loving that child less than expected by them or those observing the transpiring events. It is the same in respect to leaving the family to follow Jesus.

It is not the person that is spoken against here but the importance to the individual of that relationship in comparison with one of discipleship with Jesus. In verse 33 we see that the afore mentioned hatreds and sacrifices (including the family) is just elements of what Jesus is refeing to.
Jesus is defining the cost of discipleship. In short he is saying ,as he states in 33 that anyone who is not willing to forsake all of their former life need not follow him. I believe because to be a wothy disiple one must be willing to do as Jesus did. We also see this same requirement in Mathew 8 and the same account in Luke.

Mat 8:19 And a certain scribe came, and said unto him, Master, I will follow thee whithersoever thou goest.
Mat 8:20 And Jesus saith unto him, The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head.
Mat 8:21 And another of his disciples said unto him, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.
Mat 8:22 But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead.
Mat 8:23 And when he was entered into a ship, his disciples followed him,

The potential cost of discipleship in Jesus is high. This scripture warns us not to take lightly our commitment or the cost of it.
Something we each and everyone needs to concider carefuly., lest we under estimate and are unable to endure to salvation.
The parable by Jesus of the seeds confirms that not all who initialy commit to discipleship will not succeed.
Commitment to Christ is not a part time nor secondary action and seeing it as any less than total commitment will likely end in failure.

Sincerely
Cliff

surely jesus says this for good reason.when we follow jesus ,evil tries to hurt us.understanding of the bible only comes from the knowledge of breaking free.fight evil thoughts etc.:read-bible:

The potential cost of discipleship in Jesus is high. This scripture warns us not to take lightly our commitment or the cost of it.
Something we each and everyone needs to concider carefuly., lest we under estimate and are unable to endure to salvation.
The parable by Jesus of the seeds confirms that not all who initialy commit to discipleship will not succeed.
Commitment to Christ is not a part time nor secondary action and seeing it as any less than total commitment will likely end in failure.

Sincerely
Cliff

Very good point Cliff.... Total commitment.... dying to self. Putting Jesus first.

Back