The dangers of yoga

Christian Yoga: Bringing the Kundalini Spirit Into the Church
By Geri Ungurean
I found this article on the dangers of yoga and similar practices. Yoga stems from Hindu and Buddhist beliefs. It has become a common practice in today's society, even among Christians as a form of stretching and exercise. However, yoga also practices a type of meditation, such as clearing the mind and deep concentration and the power in the body. This is a very dangerous practice. As a Christian, we should never clear our mind. Instead, we should always fill out mind with scripture , the worship of God and prayer to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

I have a Christian friend who attends all types of yoga classes. She recommended that I try it because my balance is way off because of a car accident years ago when I broke my femor bone. One leg is shorter than the other. Anyway, I decided, by her advice to attend a yoga stretching class to help my balance. It was not at all what I expected. It turns out that each stretching pose stood for something mystical in their belief system. I also was not expecting the meditation after the exercises. It felt very dark . I prayed the whole entire meditation time to God and scripture in the Bible instead of what the instructor wanted us to do.

Recently, I heard of a church advertising ' Christian' yoga classes. How can darkness and light occur at the same time, it can't!!

I wanted to get the word out about this deception and my experience with it and how dangerous it can be. I am very thankful that I have the holy spirit living within me, being a born again Christian and a Christ follower. I am also thankful that I realized right away what it was and was not deceived. I immediately ask God for his forgiveness . I love Him and do not want anything to come between my relationship with Him.

I am posting this to help others through the direction of the holy spirit prompting me. Please look up the article listed at the top of this post for further details. Thank you and God bless you!

By Geri Ungurean
I found this article on the dangers of yoga and similar practices. Yoga stems from Hindu and Buddhist beliefs. It has become a common practice in today's society, even among Christians as a form of stretching and exercise. However, yoga also practices a type of meditation, such as clearing the mind and deep concentration and the power in the body. This is a very dangerous practice. As a Christian, we should never clear our mind. Instead, we should always fill out mind with scripture , the worship of God and prayer to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

I have a Christian friend who attends all types of yoga classes. She recommended that I try it because my balance is way off because of a car accident years ago when I broke my femor bone. One leg is shorter than the other. Anyway, I decided, by her advice to attend a yoga stretching class to help my balance. It was not at all what I expected. It turns out that each stretching pose stood for something mystical in their belief system. I also was not expecting the meditation after the exercises. It felt very dark . I prayed the whole entire meditation time to God and scripture in the Bible instead of what the instructor wanted us to do.

Recently, I heard of a church advertising ' Christian' yoga classes. How can darkness and light occur at the same time, it can't!!

I wanted to get the word out about this deception and my experience with it and how dangerous it can be. I am very thankful that I have the holy spirit living within me, being a born again Christian and a Christ follower. I am also thankful that I realized right away what it was and was not deceived. I immediately ask God for his forgiveness . I love Him and do not want anything to come between my relationship with Him.

I am posting this to help others through the direction of the holy spirit prompting me. Please look up the article listed at the top of this post for further details. Thank you and God bless you!

Good morning, findtruth,

I read the article you mentioned. Have never practiced yoga, so I admit I never gave this much thought. It was interesting. This author just published a new article (My Last Article Unless God Says Otherwise :: By Geri Ungurean) in which she makes public her own family's struggles and, as the title notes, her decision to stop writing. It is also interesting and powerful.

Have a blessed day

rtm3039

By Geri Ungurean

Hello findtruth;

I also want to thank you for your thread, The dangers of yoga. My wife and I reside in the SF Bay Area and have seen yoga practiced in the park as well as Tai Chi. There are mixed feelings with the Christian community here who do and don't practice both alternatives of physical and mind activities instead of Christian meditation.

I personally have never given a thought, nor interest in alternative practices that would take the place of total meditation with Jesus. When I'm feeling anxious about anything, for example, when there are 10 persons/ families that need ministering to at the same time can take its toll. A mix of concern, compassion, suffering and inadequacies can form and I'll need relief.

What better way to pray, read my Bible, walk, talk, cry and laugh with God, listen to praise and worship - Darlene Zschech (formerly Hillsong, Australia) or Casting Crowns (from Eagle's Landing First Baptist Church, McDonough, GA.)

I support a basketball ministry on Saturdays. After an opening short exhortation and prayer, the guys display good sports play, encouragement when a team mate or the other team make a good play or hearing both teams laughing because someone makes a dorky shot that goes behind the basket rim. lol!

I cannot say of a better way to get physically and spiritually refreshed when God inhabits our praises, worship and meditation.

God bless you, findtruth, and your family.

By Geri Ungurean

Correct. The practice of Yoga is an attempt to clear the mind and find a place of stability which most understand that
Yoga is accomplished by a meditation technique that transcends physical and mental activity and allows one to experience pure consciousness.

The problem with that kind of action is that an empty mind opens the door for Satan to come in. Why not PRAY instead??????

From...…….. http://meditationyoga.in/yoga-and-transcendental-meditation/?i=1
"The Sanskrit word yoga means ‘union’ and refers to the union of the individual self (jiva) with the higher Self (Atman) and, ultimately, withthe supreme Self—Paramatman, or Brahman. More than simply a path, yoga denotes the goal of spiritual practice: union of the individual with the totality of life, of one’s cosmic existence, union of human life with the totality of Natural Law, or those who prefer religious language might call it the Divine."

Correct. The practice of Yoga is an attempt to clear the mind and find a place of stability which most understand that
Yoga is accomplished by a meditation technique that transcends physical and mental activity and allows one to experience pure consciousness.

The problem with that kind of action is that an empty mind opens the door for Satan to come in. Why not PRAY instead??????

From...…….. http://meditationyoga.in/yoga-and-transcendental-meditation/?i=1
"The Sanskrit word yoga means ‘union’ and refers to the union of the individual self (jiva) with the higher Self (Atman) and, ultimately, withthe supreme Self—Paramatman, or Brahman. More than simply a path, yoga denotes the goal of spiritual practice: union of the individual with the totality of life, of one’s cosmic existence, union of human life with the totality of Natural Law, or those who prefer religious language might call it the Divine."
Since I have no balance, never tried Yoga.

rtm3039

As a Christian, we should never clear our mind. Instead, we should always fill out mind with scripture , the worship of God and prayer to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
Amen, we should fill out our mind with scripture: the WORD of God, Jesus Christ.

A related verse comes to mind as below.

Worked a few years in a Buddhist country: many a "good-yearning: longing for what is good, what it Truth" people i met and made friends with, and and I heard from time to time in the news monks do unexplainable things…

That is: after we CLEAN the ROOM, we need to fill it up with GODLY THINGS.. that is how i understand the following verses:

Luke 11 New International Version (NIV)

23 “Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.

24 “When an impure spirit comes out of a person, it goes through arid places seeking rest and does not find it. Then it says, ‘I will return to the house I left.’25 When it arrives, it finds the house swept clean and put in order. 26 Then it goes and takes seven other spirits more wicked than itself, and they go in and live there. And the final condition of that person is worse than the first.”

Amen, we should fill out our mind with scripture: the WORD of God, Jesus Christ.

A related verse comes to mind as below.

Worked a few years in a Buddhist country: many a "good-yearning: longing for what is good, what it Truth" people i met and made friends with, and and I heard from time to time in the news monks do unexplainable things…

That is: after we CLEAN the ROOM, we need to fill it up with GODLY THINGS.. that is how i understand the following verses:

Luke 11 New International Version (NIV)

23 “Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.

24 “When an impure spirit comes out of a person, it goes through arid places seeking rest and does not find it. Then it says, ‘I will return to the house I left.’25 When it arrives, it finds the house swept clean and put in order. 26 Then it goes and takes seven other spirits more wicked than itself, and they go in and live there. And the final condition of that person is worse than the first.”

I am finding it necessary to become more disciplined in how I allocate my "brain time."

I live in a zoo. With two grand kids, son/daughter-in-law, and wife in the house, peace and quiet is not possible, until at least 9pm. I am a part of two bible study groups (one on-line and one in person). I also have obligations to CFS and am working on a certification that is work related.

I have two primary "working times;" first thing in the morning and late at night. My morning time is limited, as I I normally get up at 5am and need to be out of the door by 5:45. I make it a point to get at least 10 mins of me time in the morning, but tend to be in a rush and continue this on the drive to work. At night, I want until everyone is in bed (around 9pm) and then I have about two hours, before I too call it a night. It is during these two hours that I focus on bible study and prayer time. I spend a great deal of time in my "home office;" however, it is located in between the kitchen and living room, so I get to hear everyone talking. It is also the only way to get to the bathrooms and bedrooms, so it sees a great deal of traffic.

Now, somewhere in between getting home (around 4pm) and 9pm, I try to do some gym time and work on my work certification. A couple of times, I have actually fallen asleep while sitting here working on "stuff." Since I head off to church at around 8:20 on Sundays, Saturday is the only day I can sleep in late; however, this is usually just 1 - 2 hours (7am) more than my normal 5am wake up call.

My hardest task is when I decide it's time to go to sleep, as it can take me a while to shut off reality and get into the zone. I usually start a conversation with God, but fall asleep really fast and sometimes feel bad that I started a conversation and then fell asleep.

The wife and I were empty nester's for a while, so I must admit I like being back in the zoo. However, it sometimes is a little tiring.

rtm3039

Reactions: aha
I am finding it necessary to become more disciplined in how I allocate my "brain time."

I live in a zoo. With two grand kids, son/daughter-in-law, and wife in the house, peace and quiet is not possible, until at least 9pm. I am a part of two bible study groups (one on-line and one in person). I also have obligations to CFS and am working on a certification that is work related.

I have two primary "working times;" first thing in the morning and late at night. My morning time is limited, as I I normally get up at 5am and need to be out of the door by 5:45. I make it a point to get at least 10 mins of me time in the morning, but tend to be in a rush and continue this on the drive to work. At night, I want until everyone is in bed (around 9pm) and then I have about two hours, before I too call it a night. It is during these two hours that I focus on bible study and prayer time. I spend a great deal of time in my "home office;" however, it is located in between the kitchen and living room, so I get to hear everyone talking. It is also the only way to get to the bathrooms and bedrooms, so it sees a great deal of traffic.

Now, somewhere in between getting home (around 4pm) and 9pm, I try to do some gym time and work on my work certification. A couple of times, I have actually fallen asleep while sitting here working on "stuff." Since I head off to church at around 8:20 on Sundays, Saturday is the only day I can sleep in late; however, this is usually just 1 - 2 hours (7am) more than my normal 5am wake up call.

My hardest task is when I decide it's time to go to sleep, as it can take me a while to shut off reality and get into the zone. I usually start a conversation with God, but fall asleep really fast and sometimes feel bad that I started a conversation and then fell asleep.

The wife and I were empty nester's for a while, so I must admit I like being back in the zoo. However, it sometimes is a little tiring.

rtm3039

Just an opinion my brother...……..but maybe talking with the Lord allows you to find the peace for the brain to turn off.

Matt. 11:28...…..
"Come
to me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.."

Last edited:
People think yoga is just another form of exercise like Zumba. It is not clearly not! It is spiritual. And it is no secret. The whole purpose of yoga is separation of mind and body and stuff like that. Yoga is getting into schools and even Churches. It is sad that Christians would fall for these demonic things. I also see lot of Christians purchase and show case idols at their homes. They think it's just cute animals. Well, elephants and monkeys are worshiped in India. These are not just animals, they are idols.

I stretch, but that's all I do. I use those stretch bands and do floor exercises, it's not yoga. I listen to Hill Song United or do it while watching the cooking channel. I have never experienced meditating on anything other than the bible / gods word or speaking with God. I would be scared to do all that stuff.

People think yoga is just another form of exercise like Zumba. It is not clearly not! It is spiritual. And it is no secret. The whole purpose of yoga is separation of mind and body and stuff like that. Yoga is getting into schools and even Churches. It is sad that Christians would fall for these demonic things. I also see lot of Christians purchase and show case idols at their homes. They think it's just cute animals. Well, elephants and monkeys are worshiped in India. These are not just animals, they are idols.

Bingo...…..we have a winner!!!!

When Jesus was asked what the signs would be of His 2nd Coming in Matthew 24.

He said in Matt. 24:4-5 that "Religious DECEPTION " would be the 1st and the major sign right before He came again...……….
"Watch out that no one deceives you. For many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am the Messiah,' and will deceive many."

In my personal opinion, we are in the middle of the greatest religious deceptions of all time.

Ugh zumba, I had a workmate was always asking me to zumba classes and its actually more like a MLM thing. They want you to get hooked on zumba so you can then go to classes all the time, and then teach it and make heaps of money for them.

The music is also nothing much to write home about. I would be working all day outside, maybe pushing heavy machinery and the last thing I want to do is jump around up and down in a gym to loud music.

You dont need yoga, you can achieve the same kind of relaxation by reading a good book.
And you can meditate on the words of the Bible. You dont need to count your breaths and pose like a corpse. Or pay someone else to teach you how to pretend to be dead.

I am not much of a gym guy. I went to gym regularly last year when I had to drop lot of weight. It took almost 8 months to loose 20 lbs. Since I took time and lost it gradually, I am holding up. What I love to do for exercise is simple sports! Nothing beats a good game of volleyball for me. Quick moves, lot of jumping and plenty of fun!!

To learn balance, riding a bicycle is a good way to do it.
I dont know if a stationary bicycle or exercycle is just as good, because you not really balancing your whole body or going anywhere.

Extra balance is needed to ride a unicycle!
But try two wheels. And ask God to heal your bones. I think stretching one part isnt really going to do it you need a whole body exercise. God tells us that each part of the body is related or connected to the other part...see Corinthians.

Yoga (ive done it before) basically tries to isolate different parts of the body and tell you to make weird poses like downward dog and open your legs really wide, not doing the splits but just really unnatural body positiions , like lotus, its pretty much opening up your body for demons. Theres a whole philosphy behind it including chakra 'balancing' but the way they do it is to channel demons from below, not God above. You could end up in dangerous demon takeover, and the manifestations can be scary. It includes shaking and tremors. Beware.

Back