The Dichotomy of the Christian –Netchaplain

I believe Paul in Romans seven revealed a dual-naturism within the Christian. Our personality isn’t equated with our nature because I believe the nature determines the personality, so it’s unlike a split personality as in schizophrenia. I’ve yet to encounter scriptural support for the concept that our original nature or “old man” is eradicated at rebirth.

“Knowing this, that our old man was crucified with [Him], that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin. For he who has died has been freed from sin.” Rom 6:6, 7. Can one who is crucified still be alive? Yes and our old nature is still on the cross while simultaneously attempting to continue to rule.

One has stated that the crucifixion of our old nature is like a mutiny at sea because the captain was too hideous to follow so he was chained to the mast and they began to listen to the new captain. But during the remainder of the voyage they could still hear the old captain yelling orders. Since they knew he was powerless they didn’t obey him and also knew that he would be dealt with when they get to shore.

Sin still indwells the Christian (Rom 7:17, 18, 20, 21) but no longer as a ruler (Rom 6:12, 14). We are dead to it (Rom 6:2) but it is alive to us. This is why “The flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.” Gal 5:17.

I believe the nature determines the personality, so it’s unlike a split personality as in schizophrenia.
Contrary to popular belief (and the mistaken teaching of some "Christian counselling" books), schizophrenia is not a "split personality." (I know this is not the topic, but seeing this disorder misrepresented is a pet peeve of mine.)
One has stated that the crucifixion of our old nature is like a mutiny at sea because the captain was too hideous to follow so he was chained to the mast and they began to listen to the new captain. But during the remainder of the voyage they could still hear the old captain yelling orders. Since they knew he was powerless they didn’t obey him and also knew that he would be dealt with when they get to shore.
That's a great analogy. The important thing is that we learn to develop our spirit (our new man, controlled by the Holy Spirit) and to tame our soul (intellect, emotions and will - our old man) and bring it into submission to our spirit.

blessings,

Lynn

Thanks for you reply revlynn and God bless. To me, attempting to bring the Adamic nature under any type of control is futile because "the carnal mind (old man) [is] enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be." (Rom 8:7). I don't think submission is needed since it will just remain condemned. (Rom 8:3)

Back