The Difference Between Teaching and Preaching

Wow. This preacher is on fire for a key doctrinal reality as it relates to operational functionality within the Church:

I would sit under his preaching all the time. I wonder how the congregation sat still w/o amening.

This was the preaching I receive in my early years of maturing from a babe in the word. Straight as an arrow to the heart to quicken my soul.
Lol,I loved him so much I sent it to my email and copied that link to my signature.

THIS IS PREACHING WITHOUT SUGAR COATING NOR TICKLING YOUR EARS!

For those who've had just enough gospel truth to inoculate them from knowing Jesus, here is the antidote. Great message...
"Teaching aims at the head via information" / "Preaching aims at the heart via passion" (my paraphrase)

Jeremiah 23:29 (NASB) "Is not My word like fire?" declares the LORD, "and like a hammer which shatters a rock?

Last edited:
For those who've had just enough gospel truth to inoculate them from knowing Jesus, here is the antidote. Great message...
"Teaching aims at the head via information" / "Preaching aims at the heart via passion" (my paraphrase)

Jeremiah 23:29 (NASB) "Is not My word like fire?" declares the LORD, "and like a hammer which shatters a rock?

The difference between PREACHING and TEACHING is Preaching involves such things as exhortation, exposition, admonition, encouragement, and comfort, and it is a ONE WAY street of communication.

TEACHING is a TWO WAT street with the transfer of information and instruction in various areas of content where the teacher and his students can share with each other.

PREACHING cannot be done in a neutral manner but must exhort the congregation to heed and obey the Word of Christ. God’s people need both preaching and teaching, and they need more than twenty minutes of instruction and exhortation a week.

The preacher who can not offend the sinners sin can not tell the truth of Gods Word.

Our holy God (1 Peter 1:16) is so offended by sin that He commands His children saying.......
“Put to death what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. On the account of these God’s wrath is coming”.

The difference between PREACHING and TEACHING is Preaching involves such things as exhortation, exposition, admonition, encouragement, and comfort, and it is a ONE WAY street of communication.
TEACHING is a TWO WAY street with the transfer of information and instruction in various areas of content where the teacher and his students can share with each other.
PREACHING cannot be done in a neutral manner but must exhort the congregation to heed and obey the Word of Christ.
God’s people need both preaching and teaching, and they need more than twenty minutes of instruction and exhortation a week.

Hello Major;

I agree, and what you share is good stuff in knowing the difference.

Have you ever been told that some teaching sounds like preaching, that the study is ONE WAY where the teacher is doing all the talking?

And some preaching sounds like teaching, during the worship service it's like the congregation wants to ask questions or respond out loud?

I have to admit it's been addressed to me through the years and I had to think about that.

God bless you, brother.

Hello Major;

I agree, and what you share is good stuff in knowing the difference.

Have you ever been told that some teaching sounds like preaching, that the study is ONE WAY where the teacher is doing all the talking?

And some preaching sounds like teaching, during the worship service it's like the congregation wants to ask questions or respond out loud?

I have to admit it's been addressed to me through the years and I had to think about that.

God bless you, brother.

Yes. Thanks for the attention Bob.

I used to "teach" on Sunday evenings and Wednesdays. Sunday evenings was always done with a prepared subject or a book of the Bible and I allowed the congregation to choose which. We would use the fellowship hall so that the people could have a table to place their Bible and workbooks on. Then I would prepare a study guide with blank pages so they could record the answers to the questions asked. So when, say the book of the Revelation was asked to be taught, I would give the information I possessed and then we would have discussions in a back and forth time which is what I called "2 Way teaching. "

I have done that with just about every book in the Bible.
I have also done a study on ANGELS and FORGIVENESS and pretty much what ever topic or subject that was asked of me!
That allowed people to ask questions and gave me the opportunity to correct some of the things that had bothered some for many years.

Like......Where did Cains wife come from?
Or.........How many Arch angels are there, I heard that there were 4.
Or.........Someone told me that when babies die that become angels!

Now having said that, There has been many times that when "teaching" in that style has led me to become "PREACHY" on certain topics as the Holy Spirit moved me to do so. Usually, one of my deacons would sit back and say out loud........"Hold on, a spell is coming"!

Now the difference is that on Sunday mornings or in times of Revival when I was behind the pulpit, that is God's time to use me to say what He wants said to His people without any discussion.
That is that time of............"And God said in the Scriptures exactly what He wanted to say and on this subject there can be NO discussion" which = ONE Way preaching.

TEACHING is a TWO WAT street with the transfer of information and instruction in various areas of content where the teacher and his students can share with each other.

PREACHING cannot be done in a neutral manner but must exhort the congregation to heed and obey the Word of Christ. God’s people need both preaching and teaching, and they need more than twenty minutes of instruction and exhortation a week.

The preacher who can not offend the sinners sin can not tell the truth of Gods Word.

Our holy God (1 Peter 1:16) is so offended by sin that He commands His children saying.......
“Put to death what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. On the account of these God’s wrath is coming”.
Ok, are you now preaching or teaching? lol

Yes. Thanks for the attention Bob.

I used to "teach" on Sunday evenings and Wednesdays. Sunday evenings was always done with a prepared subject or a book of the Bible and I allowed the congregation to choose which. We would use the fellowship hall so that the people could have a table to place their Bible and workbooks on. Then I would prepare a study guide with blank pages so they could record the answers to the questions asked. So when, say the book of the Revelation was asked to be taught, I would give the information I possessed and then we would have discussions in a back and forth time which is what I called "2 Way teaching. "

I have done that with just about every book in the Bible.
I have also done a study on ANGELS and FORGIVENESS and pretty much what ever topic or subject that was asked of me!
That allowed people to ask questions and gave me the opportunity to correct some of the things that had bothered some for many years.

Like......Where did Cains wife come from?
Or.........How many Arch angels are there, I heard that there were 4.
Or.........Someone told me that when babies die that become angels!

Now having said that, There has been many times that when "teaching" in that style has led me to become "PREACHY" on certain topics as the Holy Spirit moved me to do so. Usually, one of my deacons would sit back and say out loud........"Hold on, a spell is coming"!

Now the difference is that on Sunday mornings or in times of Revival when I was behind the pulpit, that is God's time to use me to say what He wants said to His people without any discussion.
That is that time of............"And God said in the Scriptures exactly what He wanted to say and on this subject there can be NO discussion" which = ONE Way preaching.

Hello Major;

It's always good to hear the testimony of teaching and preaching, what works and doesn't from other pastors.

God bless you and thank you for sharing, brother.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again....I know WAY more than everything.....I know a whole bunch of stuff that just ain't.....:rolleyes:

Back