The Divinity of Christ.

The Divinity of Christ.

The plainest reason why the Son of God is called the Word, seems to be, that as our words explain our minds to others, so was the Son of God sent in order to reveal his Father's mind to the world. What the evangelist says of Christ proves that he is God. He asserts, His existence in the beginning; His coexistence with the Father. The Word was with God. All things were made by him, and not as an instrument. Without him was not any thing made that was made, from the highest angel to
the meanest worm. This shows how well qualified he was for the work of our redemption and salvation. The light of reason, as well as the life of sense, are derived from him, and depend upon him. This eternal Word, this true Light shines, but the darkness comprehends it not. Let us pray without ceasing, that our eyes may be opened to behold this Light that we may walk in it; and thus be made wise unto salvation, by faith in Jesus Christ. (John 1:6-14)
In Him,
Rick :preach:

The plainest reason why the Son of God is called the Word, seems to be, that as our words explain our minds to others, so was the Son of God sent in order to reveal his Father's mind to the world.

I agree totally with what you say here Rick.

I also think that Christ is called the "Word" because throughout the Old Testament the phrase "the word of the LORD came to..." should have been written "the Word of the LORD" or better still "the WORD LORD". This phrase I have studied and come to believe it simply means "Christ came to so-and-so". The Hebrew is "Dabar Yahweh" or "Word Lord" (there is no "of the" in the Hebrew here).

If you have software, do a search of the phrase "word of the LORD" and substitute "Christ". The phrase appears hundreds of times in the Bible in contexts like "Hear the word of the LORD" or "Hear Christ".

One also begins to see how involved Christ was with the fathers of the Old Testament.

Back