The Doctrine of God's Sovereignty

In all my years of experience with people (generally speaking), the BIGGEST problem most people have with the God described within the Bible, including many professing believers, is God's Sovereignty. Most of the world wants a god (or gods) who are under THEIR control, and that's the case with every 'religion' that has ever existed. Even the one called "christianity' is riddled with doctrines and people who and what portray a god or gods that are defined by men who have and who do write doctrinal creeds and/or dissertations that define their god or gods.

Voddie put if very well:

Thoughts?

MM

God's Sovereignty means that the God described in the Bible is not under our control.

One of my sons and a niece were sitting at the dining room table, and my son was totally taken off balance by something his cousin said to me when I told her that the only two choices she has, in relation to God, is to live life the way that God says to live it, or she live it her way...that there is no middle ground to that.

She verbalized her hatred of that concept. She asked why she couldn't live life her way, and still make it to Heaven as a 'good person'. She wants a god who will allow her to live her life HER way, do no harm to others, and still enter into paradise. :eek::eek:

She went away completely dejected and disheartened when she did not hear what she wanted me to say to her as confirmation that her personal, subjective beliefs, were valid.

She, in other words, hates the Sovereignty of God. I have prayed for her, and will continue to pray for her and all others like her, who go through daily life wanting a god who accepts them on THEIR personal terms rather than a Sovereign God who demands that we deal with the sins in our lives in order that we may continue the life-long journey of sanctification and growth. Those who are lukewarm...they are and will remain in a stasis mode of non-growth and non-sanctification.

Someone may ask, "Who are YOU to judge her?"

I'm not judging anyone outside the holiness and perfection of the word of God.

John 7:24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

Her words betrayed the inner demons of rebellion and self-love, as is the case with most who exhibit such hatred of God's Sovereignty over their lives, and their self-actualization of the humanistic system of morality and absolutes over which they think they have control, but in reality do not. She was almost livid in her denials of external control over and governance of her life. My previous wife (who is her aunt), somewhat took her side, as if her being a young woman somehow introduced other dynamics of consideration into the reactions I observed.

Folks, this is not a man-woman distinctive, and the idea that the approach should be modified on the basis of the gender of the individual, is utterly false and contrived. We're ALL subject to temptations and influences from our own flesh and from our common enemy, and this nonsense about gender playing a role in how we should assess the obvious fallenness and rebellion another betrays in conversations about the One, TRUE God, the gender distinctive argument simply doesn't work. She was/is lost, not born again, and is therefore in danger of Hell, as is the case with all who are in that pit of rebellion against God.

Thoughts?

MM

Back