or with ten thousand streams of oil?
Should I give my firstborn for my transgression,
the child of my body for my own sin?

8 He has told you men what is good
and what it is the LORD requires of you:
Only to act justly,
to love faithfulness,
and to walk humbly with your God.

These verses seem to contain the substance of Balak's consultation with Balaam how to obtain the favor of Israel's God. Deep conviction of guilt and wrath will put men upon careful inquiries after peace and pardon, and then there begins to be some ground for hope of them. In order to God's being pleased with us, our care must be for an interest in the atonement of Christ, and that the sin by which we displease him may be taken away. What will be a satisfaction to God's justice? In whose name must we come, as we have nothing to plead as our own? In what righteousness shall we appear before him? The proposals betray ignorance, though they show zeal. They offer that which is very rich and costly. Those who are fully convinced of sin, and of their misery and danger by reason of it, would give the entire world, if they had it, for peace and pardon. Yet they do not offer aright. The sacrifices had value from their reference to Christ; it was impossible that the blood of bulls and goats should take away sin. And all proposals of peace, except those according to the gospel, are absurd. They could not answer the demands of Divine justice, nor satisfy the wrong done to the honor of God by sin, nor would they serve at all in place of holiness of the heart and reformation of the life. Men will part with any thing rather than their sins; but they part with nothing so as to be accepted of God, unless they do part with their sins. Moral duties are commanded because they are good for man. In keeping God's commandments there is a great reward, as well as after keeping them. God has not only made it known, but made it plain. The good which God requires of us is, not the paying a price for the pardon of sin and acceptance with God, but love to himself; and what is there unreasonable, or hard, in this? Every thought within us must be brought down, to be brought into obedience to God, if we would walk comfortably with him. We must do this as penitent sinners, in dependence on the Redeemer and his atonement. Blessed be the Lord that he is ever ready to give his grace to the humble, waiting penitent. (Mic 6:9-16)
In Him,
Rick :preach:

God has not only made it known, but made it plain. The good which God requires of us is, ... love to himself; and what is there unreasonable, or hard, in this?

I agree with Rick.

All I require of my dog is that it loves me. If it growled every time I came home - it could find itself a sidewalk.

Amen Wingnut, Amen Rev_Rick
Deu 6:5 And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
The preceeding verse is mentioned 8 times in Deuteronomy alone and twice be Jesus Himself- God is trying to tell us something- He is certainly interested in the condition of our hearts and as He Himself is love he desires our love ( intimate relationship)

Hos 6:6
For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings.
Again scripture deminstrates that God is interested in the attitude of our heart because if we are indeed loving Him with all our heart than love and mercy will flow out of us unto others- make no mistake though God is not pleased when we do the right thing ( offerings) with the wrong attitude

1Co 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
1Co 13:2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
1Co 13:3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

As always Jesus put it best:
Mar 12:28 And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all?
Mar 12:29 And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:
Mar 12:30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
Mar 12:31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.
Mar 12:32 And the scribe said unto him, Well, Master, thou hast said the truth: for there is one God; and there is none other but he:
Mar 12:33 And to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbour as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices.

This also is repeated twice as God wanted to make sure we did not miss it! If you have the first command the second will again flow naturally!- in His Name and with His love Larry

Back