The Earth Became Without Form And Void...

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth….

Genesis 1:1-3 KJV
(1) In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

…..and the earth BECAME without form and void. Hebrew for “was” = “hayah” = “to exist, to BECOME, to come to pass”.

(2) And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
(3) And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

The Bible is not a science book and the creation is an allegory that hides the knowledge from the natural-thinking man who behaves in his envy and strife and living in divisions.

It is man himself who has become without form and void…as they have BECOME VAIN in their imaginations and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they BECAME fools.

Romans 1:21-22 KJV
(21) Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
(22) Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

Again, Jeremiah beheld the “earth” , and lo, it BECAME (hayah) without form and void. That is, it is His PEOPLE that became foolish for they have not known Him and there is NO understanding in them. They are wise to do evil, but to do good they have NO knowledge. There is NO LIGHT as the leaders are only after their covetousness. They sheep are not being fed. If we are supposed to be the light of the world but instead are wandering in darkness…in ignorance, then the whole world is in darkness even more so.

Jeremiah 4:22-23 KJV
(22) For my people is foolish, they have not known me; they are sottish children, and they have none understanding: they are wise to do evil, but to do good they have no knowledge.
(23) I beheld the earth, and, lo, it was without form, and void; and the heavens, and they had no light.

God did NOT create the earth in VAIN. He formed it be inhabited.

Isaiah 45:18-20 KJV
(18) For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else.
(19) I have not spoken in secret, in a dark place of the earth: I said not unto the seed of Jacob, Seek ye me in vain: I the LORD speak righteousness, I declare things that are right.

We are to escape from those who have no knowledge…no Light. They have NO KNOWLEDGE...no Light in their deceptive words as they handle the Word of God deceitfully.

(20) Assemble yourselves and come; draw near together, ye that are escaped of the nations: they have no knowledge that set up the wood of their graven image, and pray unto a god that cannot save.

Even though they may profess that they know God with their lips, in their hearts they are saying “there is no God”. Jehovah looks down from heaven upon the children of men (the “earth”) to see if there were any that did UNDERSTAND and seek God but they have ALL gone aside. They are all together BECOME filthy for there is NONE that does good….no….NOT ONE. The “earth” has become without form and void….because ALL have turned aside after their own ways and thoughts as they live in envy and strife and divisions motivated by the covetousness of men.

The Spirit looks for a heart to rest in as it "flutters" upon the face of the waters.....but there is none that seek God....but serve their own bellies.

Psalms 14:1-3 KJV
(1) To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David. The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
(2) The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God.
(3) They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one

DARKNESS was upon the faces of the deep….as His people do NOT KNOW the judgment of God. He has stricken us but we have not grieved. His people perish because of a lack of knowledge….for there is NO LIGHT. See if you can find a man that seeks the Truth and executes judgment....

Jeremiah 5:
(1) Run ye to and fro through the streets of Jerusalem, and see now, and know, and seek in the broad places thereof, if ye can find a man, if there be any that executeth judgment, that seeketh the truth; and I will pardon it.

....but they all swear falsely...

(2) And though they say, The LORD liveth; surely they swear falsely.
(3) O LORD, are not thine eyes upon the truth? thou hast stricken them, but they have not grieved; thou hast consumed them, but they have refused to receive correction: they have made their faces harder than a rock; they have refused to return.

Darkness is upon the face of the deep….as we know not the Way of Jehovah nor the judgment of God upon us.

(4) Therefore I said, Surely these are poor; they are foolish: for they know not the way of the LORD, nor the judgment of their God.

But our God is full of grace…being merciful to the “poor” who are being led astray unto their own destruction of the mortal body because of a lack of knowledge….the LIGHT. The Spirit of God “ moves upon the face of the waters”. Holy men of God speak as they are moved by the Holy Spirit and we are to do well and take heed to how we hear….as unto a light shining in a dark place. We are to hear and not resist the Spirit but let it come to rest upon us as pay attention to His voice….until the day dawn the day star rise in our hearts.

2 Peter 1:19-21 KJV
(19) We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:
(20) Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
(21) For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

The kindness and love of God our Savior appears shining as a light toward men who have BECOME foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving many lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, being hateful and hating one another. The “earth” BECAME without form and void as men’s hearts have been darkened.

Titus 3:3-5 KJV
(3) For we ourselves also were sometimes foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating one another.
(4) But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared,
(5) Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Our God commanded the Light to shine out of darkness….shining in our hearts…to give the Light of the KNOWLEDGE of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. Many preach themselves and not Christ Jesus the Lord….in the darkness of ignorance and deceit as they lead many astray unto their own destruction.

2 Corinthians 4:5-7 KJV
(5) For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.

(6) For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
(7) But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

Because of the mercy of God, He makes “manifest” the savor of His KNOWLEDGE (the Light shines) in every place by the words of the prophets and apostles as interpreted in Christ.

2 Corinthians 2:14-17 KJV
(14) Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savour of his knowledge by us in every place.

(15) For we are unto God a sweet savour of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish:

(16) To the one we are the savour of death unto death; and to the other the savour of life unto life. And who is sufficient for these things?

They do not speak as MANY which corrupt the Word of God…but speak as of sincerity in the sight of God in Christ.

(17) For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.

Again.........good exergeses but too long IMO. But I ask once again, where did the water come from in verse 2 BEFORE God began to create????

I'm in agreement with Major, too long, people today in this fast paced world don't have the attention span to read all of it.

I too would like to hear what you have to say about the water in verse two.

And may I add we need to be very gentle when talking to people in this cold electronic world of cyber space, without being able to talk face to face with the persons and view their body language, we tend to attribute to them the wrong sentiments, it's a characteristic of our fallen human nature, I admit I'm guilty of this so I'm trying to add in my feelings to explain where I'm coming from, like I'm saying this in all humility and gentilness in the Love of Christ to help a brother get his point across in love to the readers.

Blessings,

Gene

I'm in agreement with Major, too long, people today in this fast paced world don't have the attention span to read all of it.

I too would like to hear what you have to say about the water in verse two.

And may I add we need to be very gentle when talking to people in this cold electronic world of cyber space, without being able to talk face to face with the persons and view their body language, we tend to attribute to them the wrong sentiments, it's a characteristic of our fallen human nature, I admit I'm guilty of this so I'm trying to add in my feelings to explain where I'm coming from, like I'm saying this in all humility and gentilness in the Love of Christ to help a brother get his point across in love to the readers.

Blessings,

Gene

God bless you Gene! You seem to always have the right word of wisdom to say to all of us at the right time.

I have always said that talking behind a computer screen makes people a lot bolder than they are normally face to face.
Excellent advice!

As for the water in chapter 1:2 of Genesis, it has now for years been something that has never been properly explained.
I can not explain it so don't ask me.

Now do not misunderstand me......I am a Creationist. I believe that the earth has been here a long time.
God created it and I have no problem with it at all. It is that many years ago, when reading this particular verse it occurred to me that the water was already on the earth before God started the creation process.

So, where did that water come from.???

Major, I'm humbled, thanks, I consider myself a bumbling old fool, ...quickly I turn to Rom 12:3 to remind myself what to do in this situation.

Let's let the OP answer our question before we go any farther.

Blessings,

Gene

Major, there seems to be a lot of provactive, controversial questions thrown into the wind lately with the OP never coming back to respond, could it be a part of the spamming problem Jeff is talking about?

Gene

Major, there seems to be a lot of provactive, controversial questions thrown into the wind lately with the OP never coming back to respond, could it be a part of the spamming problem Jeff is talking about?

Gene

I believe so. I call that "DRIVE BY".

They just DRIVE BY, throw out something without any care as to whether or not it sticks on the wall or not.

I guess the answer really is that they do not have and answer at all!

So sad, with so many lurkers, who knows what poison they are eating, ...all of us posting need to take careful attention to not cause any of His little ones to stumble.

Gene

Back