The "earthly" thone of Israel is extinct.

The "earthly" thone of Israel is extinct.

The earthly throne of Israel is Extinct. – Jer 22:24-30

The earthly throne of David became extinct in Coniah and Jeremiah declared that no man of his seed should prosper, sitting upon the throne of David, and ruling in Judah.

Here is the statement of Jeremiah:

Jeremiah 22:24-30 24 As I live, saith the LORD, though Coniah the son of Jehoiakim king of Judah were the signet upon my right hand, yet would I pluck thee thence; 25 And I will give thee into the hand of them that seek thy life, and into the hand of them whose face thou fearest, even into the hand of Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon, and into the hand of the Chaldeans. 26 And I will cast thee out, and thy mother that bare thee, into another country, where ye were not born; and there shall ye die. 27 But to the land whereunto they desire to return, thither shall they not return. 28 Is this man Coniah a despised broken idol? is he a vessel wherein is no pleasure? wherefore are they cast out, he and his seed, and are cast into a land which they know not? 29 O earth, earth, earth, hear the word of the LORD. 30 Thus saith the LORD, Write ye this man childless, a man that shall not prosper in his days: for no man of his seed shall prosper, sitting upon the throne of David, and ruling any more in Judah.

Coniah belonged to the lineage of David and was of the seed of David. He was NOT childless in the physical sense, he was the father of several sons, and their names are given in several places in the Old Testament record. He was childless in the sense referred to by Jeremiah. It was a decree that the earthly throne of David would be no more, he would have NO SEED after him on the throne, the throne of David ceased. The man who followed him on the throne was Zedekiah, his son, but he was the prince of Nebuchadnezzar, a vassal of the king of Babylon, and had no right to the throne. This fact is state in 2 Chron 36:10, put in the divine chronicles for a purpose:

2 Chronicles 36:10 10 In the spring, King Nebuchadnezzar sent for him and brought him to Babylon, together with articles of value from the temple of the LORD, and he made Jehoiachin's uncle, Zedekiah, king over Judah and Jerusalem.

Now, Zedekiah had NO right to the throne is further emphasized by an eloquent declaration of the prophet Ezekiel. Ezekiel, speaking of Zedekiah, the prophet says:

Ezekiel 21:25-27 25 And thou, profane wicked prince of Israel, whose day is come, when iniquity shall have an end, 26 Thus saith the Lord GOD; Remove the diadem, and take off the crown: this shall not be the same: exalt him that is low, and abase him that is high. 27 I will overturn, overturn, overturn, it: and it shall be no more, until he come whose right it is; and I will give it him.

But Jeremiah said that no man of Coniah’s seed should prosper, sitting upon the throne of David, ruling any more in Judah.

WHAT BEARING DOES THIS DECLARATION HAVE ON THE SUBJECT?

Just this:
Jesus the Christ came through the seed of Coniah according to the genealogies of both Matthew and Luke, one establishing the natural and the other the legal seed of Jesus, one through Joseph and the other through Mary. The New Testament record enters the names of Jeconiah (Coniah) and Salathiel (Shealtiel) his son, in the direct fleshly lineage of Jesus. Jesus, being of the earthly seed of Coniah, cannot therefore, according to Jeremiah, “prosper sitting upon the throne of David, and ruling any more in Judah” – notice the words, “ruling any more in Judah.”
If Jesus should come to his earth and sit upon David’s throne in Judah, Jeremiah says positively that He could not prosper on that throne, ruling any more in Judah. That puts an end to David’s earthly throne; it became extinct in Coniah. It was taken from Zedekiah. God removed his diadem and took off his crown, overturned this throne, and Ezekiel said that it would be no more “until he come whose right it is.” That One to come was Christ, to whom alone belongs the throne, and He sits upon it NOT “in Judah”, but in heaven. Furthermore, Ezekiel plainly said that “this shall not be the same.” The earthly throne of David ceased, never to exist again.

Back