The Flesh is My Religion

If we derive from the definition of what blessed is we discover that it means happy, praise, benefit from. We might organize this and say that being blessed is when we extract a sentence and conclude that being blessed is the benefit of being happy when we praise.

When a person lives to be happy in the flesh I look for things that will make me feel good. Even as a Christian there is an innate desire or thought that tells me if I love God then I should feel good. But is that true? Should we always feel good in the flesh? What is your counsel on this subject?

A few years ago, I went through some challenging things. more than one thing after another but many things that were simultaneous or overlapped.

I bought a house at the top of the market then the economy went south and my job was gone and my house was underwater. I went on many job interviews but new hiring was rare. Then I lost my bladder to cancer. My wife was having problems at her job so her income was uncertain. Lots more problems along this way.

I was not despondent, but I was concerned and wondered about the future, but for some time it seemed the harder I worked to 'fix' my problems, the more things I could not control stood in my way.

Looking back I now see this period as a great blessing. The Lord was ending my career much before I had planned. He gave me new things to accomplish as I started volunteering in the community. He showed me that while my retirement was not going to be what I thought it was, I was not as financially strapped as it appeared the day I walked away from my desk for the last time.

So while there are always things that make one happy or sad or even fearful, these things are not an unfailing barometer of the spiritual state.

Emotions like being happy are neither good nor bad. When they motivate one to trust and follow God they are positive. When they motivate one to look ate his own comfort and desires, they are destructive.

If we derive from the definition of what blessed is we discover that it means happy, praise, benefit from. We might organize this and say that being blessed is when we extract a sentence and conclude that being blessed is the benefit of being happy when we praise.

When a person lives to be happy in the flesh I look for things that will make me feel good. Even as a Christian there is an innate desire or thought that tells me if I love God then I should feel good. But is that true? Should we always feel good in the flesh? What is your counsel on this subject?

Brother.....may I say to you that God never, ever changes. KNOW THAT!

We as human beings are always going to be affected by our emotions and the world around us. THAT is what separates us from the animals.

So then, have you ever asked yourself the question: “What’s wrong with me. Why do I feel the way I do?”

In God’s sight, nothing is wrong with you; absolutely nothing. That is not the problem brother. The real problem is that Satan likes to plant such thoughts in our minds to give us the feeling that we don’t measure up and therefore, we are not worthy to be loved.

When we begin comparing ourselves with others, we can conclude that something is wrong with us. Those negative comparisons need to be replaced with the thought “God loves me unconditionally!” Not only does He love us no matter what; He has chosen to see us as being right with Him; we are accepted and blameless in His sight.

Good relationships are based on love and acceptance – never on fear. We need to learn how to separate how important we are to God from what we do – right or wrong. It is totally unscriptural to think that our acceptance is based on our performance. There is not one place in the Bible that you can come to God because of what YOU did and because you are such a nice person. NO! We are loved and accepted by God, because our faith in Jesus makes us right with Him through Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross.

God bless you my brother!

Back