The Gaithers

Do You Listen?

• Total voters
Do any of you Staff or members here listen to the Gaither Gospel Music? I like to hear "The Old Rugged" over and over again. And then there is one of their more recent songs called "Because He Lives" that just thrills my soul.

Hello Blest;

Yes, Yes, and Yes! Years ago my wife and I sang in the church choir and the Gaither's Gospel Music was among the many hymns we sang including "The Old Rugged" and "Because He Lives." We loved going to choir rehearsal on Monday evenings!

I didn't know this until about 5 years ago but the Hymnal books update every 20 years or so. The worship song, Give Thanks used to be a contemporary worship song but is now categorized as a hymn song.

God bless you, Blest, and thank you for sharing.

Bob,
Loved your 3 yes!!! I know what you mean. I never tire of the blessing that comes with those hymns. I often raise both hands to heaven in praise during the hymns (even though my hands are shaking from Parkinson's the entire time). Jesus is the only one present with me in my home at the time, so getting embarrassed by the shakiness is not a problem.
My youngest daughter was visiting here this past Christmas and asked my favorite Christmas song. I said, "O Holy Night" and we both burst out together in song. I kept my hands down but thought later that she would have never made me feel bad about shaking--a truly wonderful child of God is she.

Do any of you Staff or members here listen to the Gaither Gospel Music? I like to hear "The Old Rugged" over and over again. And then there is one of their more recent songs called "Because He Lives" that just thrills my soul.

I'm not sure. I love the Old Rugged Cross and a lot of older songs. One of my favorites is "How great thou art" and I've found several versions online that I love.

cp

Yes, it's a classic that will probably be enjoyed many years yet to come by many. I use to be a part of a choir and I still have much of my old music. I must say though that I like considerably more of the old songs than the new.

cp

That is the "Traditional" type of Christian worship songs that unfortunately seem to be going out of style.

That is the "Traditional" type of Christian worship songs that unfortunately seem to be going out of style.

Traditional music, in my humble opinion often had words that came straight out of the Bible. It seems like today much of the words are greatly paraphrased at best. Its simply my observation and I admit that I don't spend a lot of time listening to newer Christian music.

Of course the day will come when our children and grandchildren will reminisce about the good old music they no longer hear. :)

cp

Hi Major and family. Nice to meet you! I heard a "rap" song once that was giving the Lord praise but it was so hard to "catch up" with the words being "rapped" that until it was over and I asked someone to tell me what the lyrics were, I remained without a clue....lol . The Lord knew though and I feel sure HE accepted the teens heartfelt intentions.

Hi Major and family. Nice to meet you! I heard a "rap" song once that was giving the Lord praise but it was so hard to "catch up" with the words being "rapped" that until it was over and I asked someone to tell me what the lyrics were, I remained without a clue....lol . The Lord knew though and I feel sure HE accepted the teens heartfelt intentions.

I agree that God is still able to use this newer music to allow the younger generations to praise God and communicate other Christian messages.

cp

I agree that God is still able to use this newer music to allow the younger generations to praise God and communicate other Christian messages.

cp

I have a confession to share that I'm not proud of.

About 15 years ago I served at another Christian site and started a thread on Christian Rap.

I argued how the Rap music/lyrics didn't align (in my heart, not sound good) like the traditional hymns and contemporary praise music. I was surprised by the refute I received from the younger adults and youth Christians.

I only wrote that thread to arouse fellowship and have to admit it was pretty foolish of me. I underestimated the young people who love Jesus and enjoyed Christian Rap as they worshiped at young adult, youth group services, or a Christian concert event.

I did learn a humble lesson. God is in control of His site, whichever way it goes and I cannot force young people to embrace the praise and worship hymns I worship, but learned to accept when they appreciate the older hymns and worship music.

After all, there was a time in the mid 70s when I loved Jesus Christ Superstar, Godspell and sang Handel's Messiah with the high school choir. My senior elders were enjoying the hymns of their blessed generation.

I have a confession to share that I'm not proud of.

About 15 years ago I served at another Christian site and started a thread on Christian Rap.

I argued how the Rap music/lyrics didn't align (in my heart, not sound good) like the traditional hymns and contemporary praise music. I was surprised by the refute I received from the younger adults and youth Christians.

I only wrote that thread to arouse fellowship and have to admit it was pretty foolish of me. I underestimated the young people who love Jesus and enjoyed Christian Rap as they worshiped at young adult, youth group services, or a Christian concert event.

I did learn a humble lesson. God is in control of His site, whichever way it goes and I cannot force young people to embrace the praise and worship hymns I worship, but learned to accept when they appreciate the older hymns and worship music.

After all, there was a time in the mid 70s when I loved Jesus Christ Superstar, Godspell and sang Handel's Messiah with the high school choir. My senior elders were enjoying the hymns of their blessed generation.

Yikes, so many of us have shared in that humble pie. I just wish someone would quit passing it around.

God can work through a great number of means and most certainly has. I'm glad also that not all Christians have had to walk my path. God is well aware of our temptations, weaknesses and faults. Yet in spite of all it, he knows how to accomplish the work in each of us that he has begun.

cp

I like 'Because He lives' I know the song but I don't really know this group...?

I wish sometimes there would be rap in church but it seems the oldies don't like it or don't get it. I love the way rap rhymes and has lots of wordplay, but it seems in churches old people don't like too much rhythm. I love action songs too.

It's either very old fashioned hymns or contemporary rock anthems...?! (Appeals to those who grew up in 60's and 70s! Its ok, but I don't love it and wouldn't really sing it outside of church - sorry to say).

I enjoy songs you don't even need to have expensive musical instruments and a sound system for. Which is why christian rap ought to be heard more often. But for some reason it's totally banned in any church you go to...never hear it.

Last edited:

There might be a reason why you did not grasp the words or the meaning of them and why they may have been confusing.

1 CORINTHIANS 14:33.......
"For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints."

Back