The Gospel

Gospel = good news or glad tidings = all have sinned and the wages of sin is death, but because Christ (offering Himself a ransom for many) pleased God as the appropriate atonement (a sinless man) we are offered the free gist of eternal life IN Christ Jesus

We are condemned but God in His grace has offered us a pardon because of what Christ did

Redemption = to redeem (qa’al), to redeem, act as kinsman-redeemer, avenge, revenge, ransom

And that is what Jesus did on the cross, He became a ransom for many…It was about love and not the appeasement of wrath….the scriptures say…

Hebrews 2:14Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; 15 And deliver ( to snatch away, rescue, save) them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world (not for God was so angry at the world) that He gave His only begotten Son…

Romans 5:8 But God shows his love for us (not His wrath) in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. This Christ’s death was an action of the love of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Ephesians 2:1 And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, 2 in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience,3 among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath (we are children of “orge” – children of anger, and natural disposition, temper, indignation, agitation – this speaks of our character, not God’s anger at us because of a sense of a need to satisfy His justice), just as the others.

4 But God (now we address His attitude toward us), who IS rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us (loved as in past tense – while we were in our sins -notice it says nothing off His vehement hatred or anger at us), 5 even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), 6 and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, 7 that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us (not wrath toward us)in Christ Jesus.

1 John 4:19 - We love Him because He first loved us (while we were still in out sin He loved us, and was not filled with wrath toward us).

Yes it is in his love and in his pity that he redeemed us. Did we deserve this love? No! We were children of orge (disobedience)…we were indignant, obstinate, of natural disposition focused on the whims of the flesh and the will of our own minds. So though He died on behalf of all mankind (making the ransom available for all) not all individuals will be saved because most will reject His gift of grace given to restore, redeem, reconcile (the Lord Jesus who loved us so much He willfully laid down His life).

Yes beloved we have been redeemed (ransomed) because of the riches of His grace by such a steadfast love (God is love) not because His need for legal justice that was satisfied. Death never “satisfies” God. It NEVER makes Him happy. God wanted Adam and Eve to avoid this consequence just as your parent who tells you do not run out into the busy traffic does not want you to get hit by a car…it was not a decree or threat of punishment for wrong doing, it was a warning from love of the inevitable consequence. Christ was a propitiation (to propitiate – to win or regain favor by doing or offering something pleasing). He was the offering (of Himself, willfully) of that which disturbed our peace (death). His blood covers our sin and transgression as an acceptable exchange. He redeemed us (ga’al - to redeem, act as kinsman-redeemer not a substitute victim, to avenge and ransomus. He was not was “victimized” in place of us. Thus God in His forebearance “passed over” our sins (Romans 3:25-26) not satisfied His need to punish.

Thats what I understand...

Brother Paul

As Brother Paul mentioned, the "gospel' is the "good news", literally.
That Jesus died for our sins, that we may have eternal life.

The gospel is not the Bible, though many people use the term as such.

The gospel to me as others have said, is the. Good news. The news being that Jesus died for our sins and was raised on the third day, so that we who believe in Him will be forgiven of our sins and will live forever with Him.

Oh, isn't He great?

Gospel = Good News

In the beginning man sinned and was separated spiritually from a Holy God.

The sins of the world were placed on Jesus Christ, the Son of God, God made flesh, and he was tortured and crucified on our behalf. He died, rose again three days later ( The first Resurrection ), and then ascended back to his Father.

Through faith in Jesus Christ, our sins are washed away, and we are made pure to have a relationship with our Holy God.

By following in Jesus' footsteps, we learn to love God and others, and through our love we bring others to the knowledge of Christ before the day of Judgement.

On that day the dead will raise to life and be judged by God. All those who were washed by the blood of Jesus and sealed with the Holy Spirit are written in the Book of Life, and will live for eternity with God on a new Earth. All those who were not washed by the blood, will not be written in the Book of Life, and will be cast into hell/outer darkness/ etc to live eternal punishment for their sins.

The Good News is that salvation has been given to us by God in the person of Jesus Christ. Through him we are made right with God, and all of our sin/evil/darkness is washed away with death itself.

Love all the responses. I cheated and read them without giving mine.

Here's what it means to me in my own words. I'm going to try and make it short because I'm driving.

I have sinned. The penalty is death and separation from a holy and pure God. The debt needed to be paid and only Christ could afford to pay it. God in the flesh. Repent, believe, and receive salvation. The good news.

Headed to the gym now, be blessed!

Gospel = truth

God's gospel to us OT = repent of sin

God's gospel to us NT = repent of sin + good news (Jesus's gospel)

The shortest description of Gospel is John 3:16.. Good news is meaning of Gospel.. Description of the good news is John 3:16

Brother Paul,

A couple of the essential elements of the gospel you overlooked.

First is faith. You mentioned nothing of "faith" or "belief". Yet salvation salvation is contingent upon faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Acts 16:30,31 "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved"

Secondly is Christ's resurrection, which is mentioned every time the gospel is preached in Acts and the epistles, the resurrection is always mentioned as forensic evidence validating the claims of the gospel.

1Cor 15:2-4 "By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain. For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures"

Acts 2:22,32 "Jesus of Nazareth was a man accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs, which God did among you through him, as you yourselves know... God has raised this Jesus to life, and we are all witnesses of the fact."

Acts 17:31 "He has given proof of this to all men by raising him from the dead."

Yes! Because what He did for us we have to place our total trust (faith) in Him (and not in us)

The Gospel, "Christ the Redeemer" is all over the place...

•Christ the Redeemer (statue), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
•Monumento al Divino Salvador del Mundo, Monument to the Savior of the World San Salvador City, El Salvador
•Cristo Redentore, Christ the Redeemer of Maratea, Italy
•Christ of Vung Tau in Vietnam (32 m)
•Christ Blessing in Manado, North Sulawesi, Indonesia (30 m)
•Jesus Christ Statue[21] in Mansinam Island, West Papua, Indonesia (30 m)
•Cristo-Rei in Lisbon, Portugal (28 m)
•Cristo Rei of Dili: a 27 metre high statue in Dili, Timor-Leste
•Cerro del Cubilete in Guanajuato, Mexico: a 23 metre high statue inspired by Christ the Redeemer
•Christ of the Ozarks in Arkansas, United States: a 20 metre high statue inspired by Christ the Redeemer
•Christ of Havana in Havana, Cuba: a 20 metre high statue inspired by Christ the Redeemer
•Christ the Redeemer of the Andes (Argentina/Chile)
•Cristo de la Concordia in Cochabamba, Bolivia
•Cristo de las Noas in Torreón, Mexico
•Christ of the Abyss in various underwater locations
•Christ the King (Polish: Pomnik Chrystusa Króla), 33 metres (108 ft) tall and weighing 440 tonnes, in Świebodzin, Poland
•Cristo del Pacífico, Lima, Peru, a 7 metre high statue erected in 2011
•Christ the Sacred Heart of Jesus, Ibiza, Spain: a 23 metre high statue inspired by Christ the Redeemer
•Statue of Jesus Christ on the top of Sagrat Cor, Barcelona, Spain

Back