The Ground of Rest

The moment we begin to rest our peace on anything in ourselves, we lose it. This is why so many believers have not settled peace. How can you have settled peace? Only by having it in the Father’s own way. By not resting on anything, even the Spirit’s work within (not on the fruit of our faith but on the Source of our faith—NC), but on what the Lord Jesus has done entirely outside you.

Then you will know peace—also conscious unworthiness, but yet peace. The more you see the extent and nature of the evil that is within, as well as that without and around, the more you will find that what the Lord Jesus is and did, is the only ground at all on which you can rest.

As knowing the Lord Jesus to be precious to our souls, our eyes and hearts being occupied with Him, will we be effectually kept from being taken up with the vanity and sin around, and this too will be our strength against the sin and corruption within. Whatever I see in myself that is not in Him, is sin (the presence of sin is not the issue but rather the identification of it is—NC).

But then it is not in thinking upon my own sins, and being occupied with my own vileness, that will humble me; but thinking of the Lord Jesus and dwelling upon the excellence (1 Cor 2:1; 2 Cor 5:7; Phl 3:8—NC) in Him. It is well to be done with ourselves and to be taken up with the Lord Jesus.

We are entitled to forget ourselves—we are entitled to confess and forget our sins—we are entitled to forget all but the Lord Jesus. It is by looking unto Him that we can give up anything, and can walk as obedient children. Were it simply a command, we could have no power to obey.

“God hath chosen you from the beginning to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth” (2 Thess 2:13). It is then the belief of the truth; it is not the belief of the fruits. The Holy Spirit cannot present to me the fruit He has produced in me as the object of my faith. He speaks to me of my faults and of my sins, but never of the good works that may be in me.

He produces them in me, but He hides them from me; for if we think on them, it is but a more subtle self-righteousness. It is like the manna which, being kept, produced worms. All is spoiled—it is no more faith in action. The Holy Spirit must always present to me the Lord Jesus, that I may have peace.

— J N Darby

Excerpt from MJS devotional for July 11:

“If and when the trial comes, you will find Him waiting there.” MJS

“We should always be prepared for circumstances that will arise, and for blessings that are to come, without foreseeing what these circumstances and blessings will be. This preparation consists in attention to present responsibility, and acceptance of present discipline.

“If day by day we first seek divine direction, and then follow it, we shall be ready, when new circumstances arise, for the new blessings which will be offered. Today should be preparation for tomorrow. The only proof that we shall be equal to tomorrow’s test is that we are meeting today’s test believingly and courageously. The only evidence that we shall be willing for God’s will tomorrow is that we are subject to His will today.” -W.G.S.

http://www.abideabove.com/hungry-heart/

My Peace Always is and Will be in Christ.
Blessings
Amen, and it's my belief that this goes for all who are born again, due to Phil 2:13. In the OT an Israelite could desire to depart from God because they were still "in the flesh" (old man); but they could also choose to remain!

One would think but sadly enough, far too many never discover how to dwell in this peace. They are moved by everything under the sun except God's Word and Ways.
Blessings
FCJ
There will always be those who are still in the early stages of spiritual growth, and as they grow, other immature believers fill their place until they grow. But if they're truly saved they will grow, and if they don't grow it's because God is not in them to "work the desire to do His good pleasure" (Phil 2:13).

and if they don't grow it's because God is not in them to "work the desire to do His good pleasure" (Phil 2:13).
No God is in them but they ignore or have never learned how to listen or hear. No friend God is in them but they are not walking in the Spirit Realm.

It's so easy to make excuses and say so and so is not really born again because they have not grown. Growth always will be the choice of a believer. There are far to many men who have walked with God for many years and still are in their "Spiritual diapers" and again it's by choice. They refuse to seek after God and rest on being born again.
That's a huge waste and they will stand held accountable for what they did and did not do.

We have inherited the promises of God but they will not ever just manifest in a believers life unless they first qualify by actually seeking the Kingdom and God's Righteousness first and Do what is written in His Most Holy Written Word.

After being initially born again, everything else depends, requires each individual to "work" out their salvation. Otherwise they stunt their growth and spend a life of struggling and blaming everything under the sun for their own Spiritual Laziness.

Those who refuse to work don't eat. This very much applies to the Spiritual Realm as well. One must work diligently in getting God's Word in their heart in abundance, other wise they never will know His Peace and struggle just like the rest of the world.

Blessings to you and your family
FCJ

No God is in them but they ignore or have never learned how to listen or hear.
I understand your meaning, but if God is in you He will, without fail cause you ("work in you") to "desire and do His good pleasure." Just want to mention that's how I see Philippians 2:13, because it doesn't indicate anything else but that He will definitely do this if He's in you. Appreciate our fellowship in the Word Brother Ed!

I understand your meaning, but if God is in you He will, without fail cause you ("work in you") to "desire and do His good pleasure." Just want to mention that's how I see Philippians 2:13, because it doesn't indicate anything else but that He will definitely do this if He's in you. Appreciate our fellowship in the Word Brother Ed!
Oh He will , Hmmm that throws out free will.
He can't do it without you first submitting unto Him.
No Sir, that's a religious belief that God will make you do something or will definitely do this if He's in you.
If this were the case every born again believer would be thriving and pleasing God and things would be further along.

No! Just because God is in you does not automatically mean He can do a work in and through you.

It is God in us .....
For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him.
HOWEVER we MUST abide, be obedient, listen and hear and be willing to do. Otherwise one changes not.
Blessings

Oh He will , Hmmm that throws out free will.
He can't do it without you first submitting unto Him.
No Sir, that's a religious belief that God will make you do something or will definitely do this if He's in you.
If this were the case every born again believer would be thriving and pleasing God and things would be further along.

No! Just because God is in you does not automatically mean He can do a work in and through you.

It is God in us .....
For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him.
HOWEVER we MUST abide, be obedient, listen and hear and be willing to do. Otherwise one changes not.
Blessings
It's obvious we differ here but I believe if God works the desire in you, that's what will always be your primary goal and will over all things.

Blessings!

Interesting viewpoints.

Can I just butt in? If I may.

PAul wrote I may plant, Apollos waters, but God gives the increase.

So what does the believer actually do to grow. It doesnt seem like the believer has to really DO anything, but yield to God.

Now if we want to be nitpicky and say well that is actually doing something. But ok lets look at plants, since ethat is the analogy used in the Bible. Do the plants go and collect rainwater for themselves and place themselves where they are to grow, and do they just grow on their own? Well, no unless they are weeds.

A plant in Gods garden is one thats placed their especially, watered especially, and dependent on the sun (Gods energy) to grow. All plants like grow toward the light yes? UNless they are shade lovers, but generally plants that are fruitful like sun. If you place a plant in a dark room with NO light its going to die. It is not the fault of the plant for not growing, is it?

All beautiful gardens require a gardener to look after it right? To dress and keep it. They dont just grow by themselves. If a plant is not growing well you need to look at the conditions of the soil and ask, is it in the right place, are there too many weeds choking it, is it getting enough light. Etc etc.

Interesting viewpoints.

Can I just butt in? If I may.

PAul wrote I may plant, Apollos waters, but God gives the increase.

So what does the believer actually do to grow. It doesnt seem like the believer has to really DO anything, but yield to God.
Good point and analogy! I believe it's also instructive to know that we learn how God causes us to spiritually grow in Christ's image through His Word. The more of it we know and understand, the more He can apply it in our lives, and this takes time for all believers if they're in church and study the Bible.

Always appreciate your helpful and interesting posts!

Blessings!

Well, something I dont enjoy seeing is when people dont understand how spiritual growth happens, and thus start bashing people with soundbite bible verses, thinking if they just drum it into someone else they will get the same result they have.

First thing to remember is when people read the bible, they are LEARNING all the time. Plus then they need to meditate on it and think on it, and this actually takes time to do. It is not instant. When someone who thinks they know it all then starts browbeating someone else who is less mature and expects them to know something they have not learned yet, I think its on that person to actually teach not then conclude that the person who doesnt know is stupid. Yes it they may be ignorant but then it is on you to show them the better way i.e teach and allow them to practice what they have learned.

There are no shortcuts to the Bible. You have to read the whole thing to understand it and ask God to show you. If someone does not understand you need to take a step back and pray for that person and revelation for that person. A teacher of infants will teach not at the same pace as a teacher of year 6 children. Same principle.

We also learn in different ways and grow in different areas. People need to maybe get over themselves and realise not everyone is the same as they are, if we were all the same we would be clones. But we are not. Force feeding is never a good idea. I remember being forcefed formula as a baby and actually ended up malnourished because of it.

You know how you see body builders and they flaunt their muscles but its actually rather unnatural because they inject themselves with steroids and powders to get them to look like that. You would not grow like that naturally. And body builders have high incidences of serious health problems because of their reliance on forcing their bodies to grow unnaturally. Unless the Lord builds the house, people labour in vain.

Back