The Heart ? The Brain ?

Hmmm,I'm not sure about most spiritual traditions. We identify as a whole before God and he has a plan for the whole of man.

God is a Spirit: and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth.
Jesus was talking to the Samaritan woman when he said this in Jn.4:24

Let's look at the first word Spirit it is capitalized yet the second word spirit is not. We know within us is the image of the Godhead. The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, therefore we have a soul, a spirit and a body. Now the spirit of men 1 Cor.2:11 says this, For what man KNOWETH the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is IN him?
Even so the things of God KNOWETH no man,but the Spirit of God. There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY a person can KNOW God anyway but by the Spirit of God!

Every living human being has in his body the spirit of man. When we come to a saving knowledge of God and we accept him he puts His Spirit in place of man's spirit. Rms.8:9 But ye are NOT in the flesh,but in the Spirit, if so be the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now IF any man have NOT the Spirit of Christ,he is NONE of his.

With the change in spirit from man to the Spirit of God within ,where do you suppose it rest to motivate us; our heart ? Our brain ?

We want to examine the seat of what we are in God. Yes Via we must give all our thought our feelings and our body to Him ALL.
so, the Word of God can divide our soul and spirit, and our spirit changes or dies, , but I am not sure if our souls change. yes they are eternal, and we are souls, also called living beings, and have a body, so our souls are living beings, whether we are aware of it or not. our minds think(reason) and our hearts are where our beliefs lie.

sorry thats a mouthful but I was calculating out loud.....there is too many parts to us and I can get lost☹️

now, when I am asleep I dream, and when I wake up I can remember my dream based on awareness( which I think maynbe what the bible says is our human spirit). When I am asleep I have no idea I am even dreaming. So is our souls a kind of programme thats been passed on, or built up, and carries on playing in the background with a storehouse of sorts? maybe its a blank state when we are created, or maybe we inherit our parents traits?

I like the idea our souls are like a programme that can change , but I have no idea where it is located. unless its in the mind of God...? so yes, I like that, our souls may be located in the mind of God somewhere. but wouldnt that make our souls omnipresent ? oh I dont know. haha

ok, they are just a bunch of( and possibly incorrect ) calculations.

im doing my best lol

edit;
D3vot3d2G0d
You now got me wondering where the dead all hang out...in their souls somewhere, in a possibly stuck programme, doing things with no awareness, just like a dream.

edit 2. is our human spirit only a force that animates us in one direction or another?

Last edited:
so, the Word of God can divide our soul and spirit, and our spirit changes or dies, , but I am not sure if our souls change. yes they are eternal, and we are souls, also called living beings, and have a body, so our souls are living beings, whether we are aware of it or not. our minds think(reason) and our hearts are where our beliefs lie.

sorry thats a mouthful but I was calculating out loud.....there is too many parts to us and I can get lost☹️

now, when I am asleep I dream, and when I wake up I can remember my dream based on awareness(human spirit). When I am asleep I have no idea I am even dreaming. So is our souls a kind of programme thats been passed on, or built up, and carries on playing in the background with a storehouse of sorts? maybe its a blank state when we are created, or maybe we inherit our parents traits?

I like the idea our souls are like a programme that can change , but I have no idea where it is located. unless its in the mind of God...? so yes, I like that, our souls may be located in the mind of God somewhere. but wouldnt that make our souls omnipresent ? oh I dont know. haha

ok, they are just a bunch of( and possibly incorrect ) calculations.

im doing my best lol
I basically understand the difference between the human soul and spirit like this:

- Soul (me): our personalities, fears, desires, understanding, intellect, memories, etc. which is situated in the brain. An animal has a soul, but no spirit - only humans are spiritual beings.

- Spirit: that unseen part of us that becomes alive when we are reborn through faith in Jesus Christ. No idea where our spirits are located. (I once read that we can think of our spirits as dead, airless, limp balloons. Once we are filled with the Holy Spirit our spirits become alive and our 'balloons' are filled with air.) It sort of explains the whole matter to me :).

The soul and spirit are connected, but also separate. I do believe that not only our spirits, but also our souls (at least our individual God-given personalities which we are born with) are eternal.

Blessings!

Last edited:
I believe you are right. I am someone who has been tormented by thoughts that do not originate from myself and hearing voices, but I know in my heart that I am sealed by Gods spirit through faith.

It must be the soul that God gave us :)

Where do you think those "voices" come from my friend????

Foundsheep
I am addressing you with a heart full of love, for my son was once as you are. He had a diagnosis of schizophrenia and bi- polar mania.
YET he was raised with the word, so he knew about God.

When he went out onto his own he was not saved, therefore the enemy really drug him to the bottom of the pit. He had a family he couldn't take care of, started using street drugs,became even more confused in thought, hearing and seeing things that were NOT real.

This can be caused before birth by chemical mishaps in the brain, drug use, genetics,ect. By NO means does this make God think less of you or want you to continue to suffer. He still loves and wants you in his family,a brother, a son !

He is longsuffering, compassionate, patient and forgiving. My son began going back to church and gave his life over to God. It was still a grave struggle for him, EVERYDAY !
He passed in his sleep at 36 a believer and follower of God.
THAT IS MY HOPE !
That at the end, it is NOT our judgements that count, nor our knowledge or lack thereof but rather HOW MUCH WE LOVED GOD AND OUR FELLOWMAN .

Praying that YOU keep PRESSING and PUSHING toward the MARK. He is our only hope !

I'm thinking that 'balloon' is the lungs
I mean really. It's the breath that gives us life. Though in the Bible this enters through our nostrils, and out through our praises to Him.

This topic can be far reaching if following every little thread and interesting if you continue it.
The soul of man is what is immortal and inherits eternal life.......look at the martyred souls under the altar of God in Revelations.

Every human is born with a soul and spirit, the soul is the life given us of God, the spirit is of mankind just as all living things have. Ecc. 3:21 Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth ?

This is where we become who we are by genetics, nurturing, personality traits, character........
Just as God is a Spirit must we worship Him in Spirit.
Ps.51:17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God thou wilt not despise.
What does it mean to have a broken spirit ? What I have found is this, one that is under condenmnation and conviction of sins by the Spirit
The spirit of man is at war against the Spirit of God. It can cause corruption of the soul, and carry the soul to be destined to eternal fire and death instead of eternal life.

This has to be changed from the spirit of man to the Spirit of God. An about face, change in man's heart and his mind. Salvation, meeting and accepting Jesus is the only way to change your spirit. It is also the only way to procur eternal life.

We use our brains for logic, to rationalize, to reason, to make decisions, it is truly about thinking, thinking,. It is our seat of consciences, here we hear the word, we reason the rational of belief, we make a conscience decision.
Jesus said to the Jews about always hollering ... " we have the law" , look at the Gentiles who do the same as you without the law but by their conscience.

Buuuuuuuuuut...... is that good enough just to decide to make an informed or uninformed decision to follow Jesus ?

Paul said it's unstable to be tossed about by every wind of doctrine ( think) it WILL SHIP WRECK YOUR FAITH !

So we just cannot decide to do better, it is the same as lip service, one son said I won't go but did, the other said I'll go but didnt. Which honoured the father?

Now we should know by now that our brains are for thoughts but we are more. We are emotions also. Our emotions come through our spirit. Our spirit can be easily manipulated ,even damaged.

God honours a BROKEN spirit, this gives his SPIRIT an opportunity to effect change in a person,which is what salvation is ALL about !
It also changes the direction of our path in life ( about face,180). When we are broken we are under condemnation,distraught,confused,lost, seeking, sad,and thinking.

We also in CONJUNCTION, for thinking will do you little service if alone, it must have a contrite heart, feeling or expressing remorse or penitence which is affected by quilt.
2 Cor.7:10
For godly sorrow WORKETH repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world WORKETH death.
It cannot be" oh hey I'm sorry "but this has to break down the Spirit of the old man and take it apart and rebuild in the Spirit of GOD!

It would be a good study on the Spirit of man vs the Spirit of God.

I'm sure this is a lot but not new, remember IT IS YOUR SALVATION AND PATH YOU ARE WORKING ON ,NOT BROTHER KAREN'S..........

I'm thinking that 'balloon' is the lungs
I mean really. It's the breath that gives us life. Though in the Bible this enters through our nostrils, and out through our praises to Him.
It is possible, but spirit is spirit after all.

John 3:8 "The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit.” NKJV

Back