The holy land

Has anyone on this site been to visit Israel or lived there or is livng there now? What are your impressions and what would you recommend if anyones thinking of going?
I was reading a book called 'Pilgrimage' by Lynn Austin about how she went on a 2 week tour from south to north and what God taught her when she was there about faith. A few church members I know have been. I think I would like to experience a true sabbath because we dont really get that here in my country anymore. Apparently everyone just stops work no matter what you doing, so they get a real holiday every week. No shops are open and no businesses operate and I think that makes a huge difference. Everyome gathers to have dinner together. That's really honoring God as he rested on the seventh day. Everyone just enjoys the day the Lord has made.

Some thoughts....I wonder what Jesus thinks about his homeland being turned into a tourist destination. Its a good thing to be known for hospitality. But I dont know if they welcome everyone, maybe only if you have the money.

I remember being a tourist in my own country, and being given a warm welcome in one town, but only because the host thought we were rich asian tourists. He was like welcome welcome we love rich asians. Spend heaps of money in our town! We were like no we only Aucklanders. Real christian hospitality is to take in a stranger even if they have no money. When Jesus did his ministry I dont know if he went round staying in hotels like a businessman. I think people just put him up. He told his disciples when they were going round to take no money at all! But then in return he gave his hosts something more precious than gold.

Am not saying money is a bad thing, but the way the world is to turn everything beautiful into a tourist trap. I just think its ironic that the land of Jesus birth still doesnt want to really know Jesus.

Has anyone on this site been to visit Israel or lived there or is livng there now? What are your impressions and what would you recommend if anyones thinking of going?
I was reading a book called 'Pilgrimage' by Lynn Austin about how she went on a 2 week tour from south to north and what God taught her when she was there about faith. A few church members I know have been. I think I would like to experience a true sabbath because we dont really get that here in my country anymore. Apparently everyone just stops work no matter what you doing, so they get a real holiday every week. No shops are open and no businesses operate and I think that makes a huge difference. Everyome gathers to have dinner together. That's really honoring God as he rested on the seventh day. Everyone just enjoys the day the Lord has made.

I have not been but I am planning on going with my pastor and some church members this year. I am so very excited. I cannot wait.
This will be the trip of a life time for me. I am very excited. I do not have our dates yet, but when I come back I promise I will let everyone know how wonderful it was. I am very excited.... I said that a few times.... lol

I have not been but I am planning on going with my pastor and some church members this year. I am so very excited. I cannot wait.
This will be the trip of a life time for me. I am very excited. I do not have our dates yet, but when I come back I promise I will let everyone know how wonderful it was. I am very excited.... I said that a few times.... lol
Wow tell us all about it when you do.
The pilgrimage author said she went to various sites, although she did say the holy sepulchre church was very touristy and not what she imagined, but just being there and experiencing where Jesus walked had her reading the Bible in a new light.

I think a guided tour is quite different from say staying/living with a host family or relatives there. You wouldnt be fully experiencing or encountering the people on a tour except for your own group but if you have the opportunity to go, why not.

I was thinking lately on how God was gathering His chosen people there again.
Read a book called 'why israel?' and yesterday my workmate got into discussion about Anne Frank and asked why the jews were so hated so I explained the Bible to her, I had to go all the way back to Abraham and how he was promised a land by God as an inheritance for his descendants....the good news is she said she wants to read the Bible and find out more.

I could only give a brief history am sure left out many things but also explained about Jesus how he was born into the Jewish tribe but also was (and is) the King of Israel.

I was thinking lately on how God was gathering His chosen people there again.
Read a book called 'why israel?' and yesterday my workmate got into discussion about Anne Frank and asked why the jews were so hated so I explained the Bible to her, I had to go all the way back to Abraham and how he was promised a land by God as an inheritance for his descendants....the good news is she said she wants to read the Bible and find out more.

I could only give a brief history am sure left out many things but also explained about Jesus how he was born into the Jewish tribe but also was (and is) the King of Israel.

God knows your heart is to evangelize and bring others to Christ... He knows what He has gifted you with... and is going to put you in situations to share Him :) awesome testimony, thank you... I did enjoy reading it. :)

My bible study leader is in the holy land at the moment she's visiting her daughter in Jordan too. When she comes back will ask what she saw and what it was like.

She told me her daughter and her husband is involved with Doctors without Borders or some similar mission, she also taught ESOL for a while.

My bible study leader is in the holy land at the moment she's visiting her daughter in Jordan too. When she comes back will ask what she saw and what it was like.

She told me her daughter and her husband is involved with Doctors without Borders or some similar mission, she also taught ESOL for a while.

I watched Joshua Aaron on YouTube yesterday walk through a park as they (Israel) were celebrating their independence day of Jerusalem becoming a state 70 years ago.

I rented a car at Ben Gurion airport and toured Israel. The airport, gas stations and hospitals are open on Saturday. A few convenience stores are open Saturday. The Jews hired Muslims or Christians PT to keep them open on Saturday. There was traffic on the roads in Tiberias on Sabbath. An Orthodox neighborhood in Jerusalem barricaded its streets to prevent traffic on Sabbath. They would rather you not drive during Sabbath. The elevators in a hotel I stayed in stopped on every floor during the Sabbath. That way one does not have to work at pushing elevator buttons on Sabbath.

If you go to Israel, you might like to see the scenery, Holy sites, museums and national parks. It is a treat if you want to learn Biblical geography. Main road signs are in English, Hebrew and Arabic. English is a grade school subject in Israeli schools. Many people are not fluent. If you stay their long, it helps to learn their foods, numbers and simple expressions.

Since this thread is about the State of Israel and many here have been there or have friends who have been there I must ask this daunting question. Personally, I have no knowledge if what I am about to ask you is true or not. Hopefully from direct knowledge of the State of Israel; this thing can be refuted and I can put this daunting thing behind me. Having said that, this is what I want you folks to do-------

Google “spitting on Christians” and then state here that from on site observations this accusation is totally false. Once done I will lay this to rest.

Since this thread is about the State of Israel and many here have been there or have friends who have been there I must ask this daunting question. Personally, I have no knowledge if what I am about to ask you is true or not. Hopefully from direct knowledge of the State of Israel; this thing can be refuted and I can put this daunting thing behind me. Having said that, this is what I want you folks to do-------

Google “spitting on Christians” and then state here that from on site observations this accusation is totally false. Once done I will lay this to rest.
I have not seen it. The last time I was in Israel was 2016. It is illegal for Christians to try to convert Jews to Christianity in Israel. One year I met a Christian pastor in a guest house dining room who told me he was being taken to court over giving a Christian Bible to some Jewish youth who requested a Christian Bible. Some American Messianic Jews went to Israel and unfurled a banner written in Hebrew with a pro-Jesus message on it. They were arrested, detained and deported. The Orthodox have vandalized some churches. Occasionally Orthodox men threw stones at people for violating their religious rules. One lady told me about a tourist who was pelted with a small stone for wearing clothes that showed too much flesh. An online acquantence was doing archaeology in Israel. The Orthodox do not approve of digging up graves. The Orthodox learned of a Herodian era tomb excavation and sent protestors who began to throw rocks at them.

Lol. I felt safe, not like news portrays Israel. The people were normal and friendly. The food was incredible and everything freshly made. I may be going back again.

It was incredible to be where christ was at one point. It was really breath taking.

I went on the sea of galilee. It was one of my favorite places. Very calm and peaceful.

I see pictures of it and a lot of the land seems really dry to me, is it really so or is it lush with many trees in the countryside? Are there many gardens? What about animals did you notice and what kind of plants they have there.

I do hope can go one day.

Maybe next year in Jerusalem?!

I have been reading another book about Israel.
It mentioned that they drained a swamp and irrigated the land so that it could be self sufficient in food. They grow all kinds of fruit and veges there, it seems citrus is a good crop. I am not sure what kind of method of agriculture they use if they are reliant on chemicals because the while high yielding I wonder if they are raising the fertility of the soil or destroying it.

They have a kibbutz system and also moshavs. But most people live in cities. It seems they have a lot of plastics factories, and science and tech labs. Most of their money is spent on defence. In the 80s they overspent. They built so many settlements but am not sure how long those settlements will last...there is tensions between the different groups living there. Its very interesting to find out all about it, but sometimes the politics of it all can do your head in.

I see pictures of it and a lot of the land seems really dry to me, is it really so or is it lush with many trees in the countryside? Are there many gardens? What about animals did you notice and what kind of plants they have there.

I do hope can go one day.

Maybe next year in Jerusalem?!
February is the lushest month of the year. Their winter is very green. Their summer is extremely hot and dry.
I would love to go again and take more time to learn and understand. It's an amazing group of people. The most amazing thing is they are still waiting on the Messiah to come. It's very sad.

Back