The Importance of not being judgmental of others

I think it is important for the followers of Jesus to be non-judgmental with people whether they are Christians or not. And that it is important we not condemn people to the hell fire and say such and such is not from the Church or whatever the case may be. For Jesus said, “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” (Matt 7:1)

According to the Bible all of us will one day be standing before God, so remember these words of Jesus, “Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.” (Matt 5:7) Therefore we should have mercy on those around us, so on that day when we are before God perhaps He will have mercy on us. Let us not forget that all of us regardless of our action were made in the image of God.

Some Christians, before receiving communion they process their belief that, “Christ came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the first.” When one reflects on the meaning of this, along with the above verses, one can’t help but realize, “How can I condemn him or her, when I myself am a sinner?” And remember what Jesus said, “If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her.” (John 8:7)

Some may argue well such and such is not a believer, he is not saved. Yes this may be true now, but we don’t know the state in which we will die. That person may not be saved (now) and you saved (now), however 10 years from now you may have give up the religious life and be one condemned to the hellfire and that person may adopt the religious life and be saved. Thus what Jesus said would be true and a manifestation of his words would come to life, “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” (Matt 7:1) An important wisdom that we can learn from this, we don’t know if we are truly saved until we die and met our Lord, so refrain from judgment.

Some argue that they can judge because we are told to judge a tree by its fruits. Those who have say such as proof do so out of context, for this relates to those with whom you take religious and spiritual knowledge. Jesus said, “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. By their fruit you will recognize them.” (Matt 7:15-16)

People will still insist that we should judge them, but isn’t Jesus the best of judges. Jesus says, “Not everyone who says to me, Lord Lord, will enter the Kingdom of Heaven, but only those who do the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say unto me on that day, ‘Lord Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, I never knew you. ‘Away from me, you evil doers.’ ” (Matt 7:21-23)

Now doesn’t that bring chills to your soul. It is possible to be among those who profess, confess and witness in Jesus name (ie Christians) and yet be among those who Jesus will say, “I never knew you. Away from me, you evil doers.” Jesus tell us how to prevent this from happening, “only those who do the will of my Father who is in heaven.” And the will of the son is the will of the father, and His will is that you do not judge. Jesus says, “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” (Matt 7:1)

So the question is how do we refrain from judging in a practical way. In psychology, there is a thing called projection, it is a concept which states, you only see what you project. A thief can recognize a thief, a liar, liar and so forth and so on. So while I see these bad traits in this person, perhaps the Lord is trying to make me aware of the evil traits that exist within myself so that I may correct myself.

Another practical way of refraining for judging is holding the belief that God is testing you, and that He is only showing you a bad side of the person, because perhaps there is a good side to that person as well. There are two ways to view your travels toward the Lord, through hope of God and fear of God, both are motivator. Sometimes we need encouragement (hope) and sometimes we need a kick in the butt (fear). I prefer to refer to them as my two feet, fear and hope. So you could say, we are both sinners, who need Jesus, (with fear working I say) perhaps his repentance is accepted and mine is not. (with hope working I say) perhaps both of our repentances are accepted by the Lord.

So Fear the Lord, for humility is the way of the righteous. “Blessed are those poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven (Matt 5:3) and blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth (Matt 5:5).” Those who condemn others are weak for it is harder to be humble thus humility is a sign of strength, so be with the strong, so that you may be given the best in this life and the next as the above verses indicate.

I hope and pray that the Lord makes us among the best of His servants, and that He makes us among those who are humble and righteous. Amen.

Hi Irenaeus07, I apprecaite your post and think less judgementalism would be healthy for the Church in general . I was wondering what your take is on the following scripture and how does it fit in?

1Co 2:15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
Do you think that the Lord is implying that if we are in tune with His heart and Spirit we will be able to judge rightly and without fleshly influence. I have been going over this in my mind lately and I would like some input.Thanks and many blessings, your brother Larry

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Malachi 3:18 "Then shall ye return, and discern between the righteous and the wicked, between him that serveth God and him that serveth him not."

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]James 1:5 "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him."
We should pray for good judgment ability.

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Matthew 7:2: "For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again."

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In Matthew 7:4-5, Jesus says, " Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye."

A good judge will not fail to judge himself first!!!
[/FONT]

MadTV: When you point a finger at someone else...there's always three fingers pointing back at you.

(try it...I had to when I heard it, he he he...make a pointing finger and then look at your hand. There really are three fingers pointing back at you:D)

I need help in this department, because first, the Three

fingers point back at Me, and then everyone else just

stares:eek:

And then there's no hiding place to find:(

And I keep looking:fish:

but the only luck I have is people's memories are short,

But God's can be even shorter.:rolleyes::D

Glory Be to God, Amen. :groupray:

Mike.:) :groupray: :jesus-sign: :amen: :bible:

Verses on Fruit

1. Matthew 3:8
    Bring forth fruit that is consistent with repentance [let your lives prove your change of heart];
  2. Matthew 3:10
    And already the ax is lying at the root of the trees; every tree therefore that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.
  3. Matthew 7:16
    You will fully recognize them by their fruits. Do people pick grapes from thorns, or figs from thistles?
  4. Matthew 7:17
    Even so, every healthy (sound) tree bears good fruit [ worthy of admiration], but the sickly (decaying, worthless) tree bears bad (worthless) fruit.
  5. Matthew 7:18
    A good (healthy) tree cannot bear bad (worthless) fruit, nor can a bad (diseased) tree bear excellent fruit [worthy of admiration].
  6. Matthew 7:19
    Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and cast into the fire.
  7. Matthew 7:20
    Therefore, you will fully know them by their fruits.
  8. Matthew 12:33
    Either make the tree sound (healthy and good), and its fruit sound (healthy and good), or make the tree rotten (diseased and bad), and its fruit rotten (diseased and bad); for the tree is known and recognized and judged by its fruit.
  9. Matthew 13:22
    As for what was sown among thorns, this is he who hears the Word, but the cares of the world and the pleasure and delight and glamour and deceitfulness of riches choke and suffocate the Word, and it yields no fruit.
  10. Matthew 13:23
    As for what was sown on good soil, this is he who hears the Word and grasps and comprehends it; he indeed bears fruit and yields in one case a hundred times as much as was sown, in another sixty times as much, and in another thirty.
  11. Matthew 21:19
    And as He saw one single leafy fig tree above the roadside, He went to it but He found nothing but leaves on it [ seeing that in the fig tree the fruit appears at the same time as the leaves]. And He said to it, Never again shall fruit grow on you! And the fig tree withered up at once.
  12. Matthew 21:43
    I tell you, for this reason the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people who will produce the fruits of it.
  13. Luke 3:8
    Bear fruits that are deserving and consistent with [your] repentance [that is, conduct worthy of a heart changed, a heart abhorring sin]. And do not begin to say to yourselves, We have Abraham as our father; for I tell you that God is able from these stones to raise up descendants for Abraham.
  14. John 15:4
    Dwell in Me, and I will dwell in you. [Live in Me, and I will live in you.] Just as no branch can bear fruit of itself without abiding in (being vitally united to) the vine, neither can you bear fruit unless you abide in Me.
  15. John 15:5
    I am the Vine; you are the branches. Whoever lives in Me and I in him bears much (abundant) fruit. However, apart from Me [cut off from vital union with Me] you can do nothing.
  16. John 15:8
    When you bear (produce) much fruit, My Father is honored and glorified, and you show and prove yourselves to be true followers of Mine.
  17. John 15:16
    You have not chosen Me, but I have chosen you and I have appointed you [I have planted you], that you might go and bear fruit and keep on bearing, and that your fruit may be lasting [that it may remain, abide], so that whatever you ask the Father in My Name [as presenting all that I AM], He may give it to you.
  18. Romans 7:5
    When we were living in the flesh (mere physical lives), the sinful passions that were awakened and aroused up by [what] the Law [makes sin] were constantly operating in our natural powers (in our bodily organs, in the sensitive appetites and wills of the flesh), so that we bore fruit for death.
  19. James 3:17
    But the wisdom from above is first of all pure (undefiled); then it is peace-loving, courteous (considerate, gentle). [It is willing to] yield to reason, full of compassion and good fruits; it is wholehearted and straightforward, impartial and unfeigned (free from doubts, wavering, and insincerity).

Hi Larry need help on this one...Verses on Judging others

1. Matthew 7:1
    DO NOT judge and criticize and condemn others, so that you may not be judged and criticized and condemned yourselves.
  2. Matthew 7:2
    For just as you judge and criticize and condemn others, you will be judged and criticized and condemned, and in accordance with the measure you [use to] deal out to others, it will be dealt out again to you.
  3. Matthew 12:33
    Either make the tree sound (healthy and good), and its fruit sound (healthy and good), or make the tree rotten (diseased and bad), and its fruit rotten (diseased and bad); for the tree is known and recognized and judged by its fruit.

4. Luke 6:37
    Judge not [neither pronouncing judgment nor subjecting to censure], and you will not be judged; do not condemn and pronounce guilty, and you will not be condemned and pronounced guilty; acquit and forgive and release (give up resentment, let it drop), and you will be acquitted and forgiven and released.
  5. Hey Larry, you are a wise man of God ... How do we do the above and the verses below:confused:
Paul Condemns Spiritual Pride

1 I can hardly believe the report about the sexual immorality going on among you—something that even pagans don’t do. I am told that a man in your church is living in sin with his stepmother.[a] 2 You are so proud of yourselves, but you should be mourning in sorrow and shame. And you should remove this man from your fellowship.

3 Even though I am not with you in person, I am with you in the Spirit.[b] And as though I were there, I have already passed judgment on this man 4 in the name of the Lord Jesus. You must call a meeting of the church.[c] I will be present with you in spirit, and so will the power of our Lord Jesus. 5 Then you must throw this man out and hand him over to Satan so that his sinful nature will be destroyed[d] and he himself[e] will be saved on the day the Lord[f] returns.
6 Your boasting about this is terrible. Don’t you realize that this sin is like a little yeast that spreads through the whole batch of dough? 7 Get rid of the old “yeast” by removing this wicked person from among you. Then you will be like a fresh batch of dough made without yeast, which is what you really are. Christ, our Passover Lamb, has been sacrificed for us.[g] 8 So let us celebrate the festival, not with the old bread[h] of wickedness and evil, but with the new bread[i] of sincerity and truth.
9 When I wrote to you before, I told you not to associate with people who indulge in sexual sin. 10 But I wasn’t talking about unbelievers who indulge in sexual sin, or are greedy, or cheat people, or worship idols. You would have to leave this world to avoid people like that. 11 I meant that you are not to associate with anyone who claims to be a believer[j] yet indulges in sexual sin, or is greedy, or worships idols, or is abusive, or is a drunkard, or cheats people. Don’t even eat with such people. 12 It isn’t my responsibility to judge outsiders, but it certainly is your responsibility to judge those inside the church who are sinning. 13 God will judge those on the outside; but as the Scriptures say, “You must remove the evil person from among you.”[k]

Hi Irenaeus07, I apprecaite your post and think less judgementalism would be healthy for the Church in general . I was wondering what your take is on the following scripture and how does it fit in?

1Co 2:15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
Do you think that the Lord is implying that if we are in tune with His heart and Spirit we will be able to judge rightly and without fleshly influence. I have been going over this in my mind lately and I would like some input.Thanks and many blessings, your brother Larry

I agree with you brother Larry, that in Spirit we have the do ability to judge righteously to an extent. God told Ezekiel to become as a watchman and guide people out of their sin. I don't believe it is wise to condemn those in sin but present to them Christ the "loophole" who can help them conquer sin. We are God's ambassadors acting out of love. Someone must demonstrate what is right, and since we have the Truth, it is us

Greetings, my brother.

I don't disagree with your interpretation, for one who is endowed with the Holy Spirit in the True sense of the word, one who is one with the Father as Jesus is, then he would judge correctly. But I don't think the verse is taking about judging people.

I think it is much border in meaning. "One who is endowed with the Holy spirit veiws things differently, or properly, or in a much deeper sense and those who are not (endowed with the Holy Spirit) cannot properly evaulate him (who is endowed with Holy Spirit.")

In other words, "Even though he sees and understand things that most people do not, does not mean, people understand him." And how would they, for they are not endowed with the Holy Spirit.

Another point is that I don't think a person endowed with the Holy Spirit would go around judging people, he would be more concerned about uplifting people, and be more compassionate toward those who could NOT overcome certain sins and perhaps trying to find different ways to help them, either directly or indirectly.

At any rate, I have not studied Corinthians or any of the books of Paul, I mainly read the Gospels right now, so I really don't know. The above is my two sense. And if I said anything correct it came from God and if I said anything wrong, it came from me.

My underground research

In 1 Co 2:15 "But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man."

The greek word for judgeth in this verse is anakrino which means investigate, interrogate, determine, ask, question, discern, examine, judge and search.

In “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” (Matt 7:1)

The greek word for judge in this verse is, krino which means avenge, conclude, condemn, damn, decree, determine, esteem, judge, go to (sue at the) law, ordain, call in question, sentense to, think.

After looking up these words and reading the context of both words, they are different, and perhaps different wording was used to indicate a different meaning.

In 1 Co 2:15 "But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man."

This might be a more of a literal translation. However the problem with literal translation is the meaning or intent can be lost.

And God knows best what is correct and not.

Your brother,

T

An interesting thought Irenaeus07 thanks. I am going to chew on it some more.

Judgment

No genuine Christian should or could use force to get anyone to believe as the Bible dictates. But we have an alternative: openly rebuke them as to the error of their beliefs. 1st Timothy 5:20. “Those who sin are to be rebuked publically, so that the others may take warning.” Do we do that? Absolutely not, saying, “Who are we to judge?” And in its place we tolerate any belief system, insisting, ‘It is none of our business.’ We have freedom of religion in the U. S.

Along with that, they say, “According to Matthew 7:1-2. “Do not judge, or you will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” Only thing, go down to verse 5. “You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.” ( First we must cleanup our own life, then we will be able to judge the other person/s correctly).

Of vital importance, our judgment must be with loving concern and compassion for the spiritual welfare of those we are critiquing, and at the same time we must welcome with open arms the judging of ourselves, if and when others see we have wavered from Scriptural truth. For more information on this topic and a whole lot more, my blog is: www.exposing-pseudo-christianity.org

Back