The Lack of Critical Thinking Skills

I find reading widely is better than watching random youtube videos that only give limited perspective. lol

As for exam questions in China, young people need to pass exams its a fact of life. If they don't pass they don't get into school simple as that. So they just cram and study for the test, and forget what they learned straight after because the point is to pass the test to get in, even if the questions are stupid.

The other thing I learned why Chinese seem better at maths than other groups is because its actually faster to calculate sums in the chinese language and its more logical. If you do it in English you'll just get confused and need a calculator.

In China they have used abacus for thousands of years without needing modern calculators or number crunching computers.
But we have the arabs to thank for the current numbering system, which is base 10. Romans used base 12 and that was not always straight forward.

In China they have used abacus for thousands of years without needing modern calculators or number crunching computers.
But we have the arabs to thank for the current numbering system, which is base 10. Romans used base 12 and that was not always straight forward.

In the video the narrator states that the question is actually based on a 40 year old math question from France.

So the question might be revised to:
How old is the Frenchman who formulated the question?

If that Frenchman is still alive, then he's about 40 years older than he was then....:rolleyes:

MM

The other thing I learned why Chinese seem better at maths than other groups is because its actually faster to calculate sums in the chinese language and its more logical. If you do it in English you'll just get confused and need a calculator.

Hello Lanolin;

About 10 years ago I was given an abacus by a Japanese member. I still have it to this day. It's amazing how good it works and it doesn't require batteries. 😎 lol!

This video and the problem presented shows the lack of critical thinking skills among youth and adults today.

Thoughts?

MM
For several years I taught English composition and rhetoric at a university. Something quite interesting became apparent as I taught critical thinking skills. Students who had been brought up with mental inputs primarily derived from external video sources were less capable of objective critical thinking than students whose primary mental images we're provided by their own thoughts as they read books. Reading makes better critical thinking than televisión. Today, video provides the primary sources of information for most of the population; such video inputs are always slanted by the providers. The problem will only get worse as our dependence on technology increases.

For several years I taught English composition and rhetoric at a university. Something quite interesting became apparent as I taught critical thinking skills. Students who had been brought up with mental inputs primarily derived from external video sources were less capable of objective critical thinking than students whose primary mental images we're provided by their own thoughts as they read books. Reading makes better critical thinking than televisión. Today, video provides the primary sources of information for most of the population; such video inputs are always slanted by the providers. The problem will only get worse as our dependence on technology increases.
I would imagine radio would fall between reading and TV/Video.

reading you can do at your own pace
with video and audio the pace is set by the narrator or the commercial breaks every 10 minutes.

Back