The Lord's Anointed

This song is based off Isaiah 61. Luke’s gospel recorded that Jesus was in the synagogue on the Sabbath day in the town of Nazareth. He stood up to read. The scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him, and he read the first part of this passage from Isaiah concerning himself, the anointing he had received from God the Father, his ministry on the earth, and concerning the plan of salvation which he preached, and which ultimately he brought to the world via his shed blood on the cross for our sins. So, this passage he read was fulfilled in Christ himself and in his ministry.

Yet, when Jesus Christ left the earth and he sent his Holy Spirit to indwell the lives of his followers, we, as well, received an anointing: “Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us, set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.” Jesus told his disciples that they would continue on his ministry after he left the earth. As followers of Christ, and as those who have Christ within us, we are also anointed of God to do all these things mentioned in this passage of scripture. We, as his followers, are to be Jesus to the world around us in doing what he did.

As a result of what Jesus Christ did for us in dying on the cross for our sins and being resurrected back to life in conquering death, hell, Satan and sin, we can now come to Jesus Christ in faith and receive his eternal salvation. He will renew us and restore us to a right relationship with God the Father, and God can use us in the lives of others to help them, as well, to be renewed, restored and to rebuild their broken lives. Thus, we serve as priests of the Lord in ministering to the lives of others in the same manner in which Jesus Christ did and now does through us, and in the same manner spoken of in this passage of scripture. And, all the glory, praise and honor belong to Christ Jesus – great things He has done!

The Lord’s Anointed / An Original Work / December 16, 2011

Based off Isaiah 61

The Spirit of the Sov’reign Lord on me;
Anointed to preach the Good News;
Sent me to bind up the brokenhearted;
Proclaim freedom for the captives.
He sent me to preach release for pris’ners
Who are walking in sin’s darkness;
Proclaim God’s grace to all men who’ll listen;
And tell them about God’s judgments;
Comfort all who mourn;
Give crowns of beauty;
Oil of gladness and thanksgiving.

They will be called oaks of God’s righteousness,
A planting of our Savior, God,
For the display of our Lord’s splendor, and
They will rebuild God’s holy church.
God will renew them, and will restore them,
And you’ll be called priests of the Lord.
You will be ministers of our God, and
You will rejoice in salvation.
The Lord loves justice;
He is faithful to
Reward those who are seeking Him.

I delight greatly in the Lord;
My soul rejoices in my Savior, God.
He has clothed me with His salvation,
And in a robe of His righteousness.
He has given me priestly garments to
Wear, as the bride of Jesus Christ.
As the garden of our Lord and Savior,