The main reason(s) why kids leave Christianity

I think you could say I sorta was a kid who left Christianity around college early adulthood. What brought be back was going through some hard stuff that was caused by sin. Then I understood the real message of Jesus. The average kid wont experience these things when they are still in school and how could any of their parents be a perfect example because they are only human beings to begin with. It doesn't surprise me that kids leave. In fact I would really expect a certain percentage to.
I think the percentage is around 30%.

1) They don't see their parents practicing the faith. The parents go to church, sing some songs, say amen every two minutes, and then go home and act secular and worldly again.

2) They don't actually learn the Bible (cough cough the charismatic church cough cough).

3) They are taught false Christianity.

4) They are taught a legalistic Christianity. Parents force their kids to read the Bible, instead of setting the example and encouraging them to read the Scriptures.

5) They have never heard the Gospel. I only heard the actual Gospel after I was saved (guess I wasn't saved then either). My youth pastor and my head pastor do not tell their congregation that they are sinners and that Jesus died for their sins. They only say that God is gonna bless us materially. While that MIGHT be true, that is not the Gospel, and that is not going to convict anyone, and that is not true biblical doctrine. Kids need to hear the Gospel, now more than ever.

6) Unbelief.

I understand that this is not speaking for all Christians, but these are some reasons why our kids are apostatizing.
Some that is true, but scripturally they're just not taught right, Pro 22:6. Part of it can be just plain rebellion.

Reactions: Juk
1) They don't see their parents practicing the faith. The parents go to church, sing some songs, say amen every two minutes, and then go home and act secular and worldly again...
A child's faith can impact their parent's lives powerfully.
...2) They don't actually learn the Bible (cough cough the charismatic church cough cough)...
Brother, I've known a significant number of people from a wide range of denominations who had a thorough knowledge of scripture, and many from a wide range of denominations who just knew that a bible was something they were supposed to take with them when they went.
Solid teaching is not restricted to nonexistant in any denomination.
3) They are taught false Christianity...
Where does personal responsibility (1 John 4:1) come into play, Juk?
...4) They are taught a legalistic Christianity. Parents force their kids to read the Bible, instead of setting the example and encouraging them to read the Scriptures...
Where you encouraged to learn your multiplication tables of were you required to?
In itself, requiring kids to read is not a bad thing. That said the spirit it was done in can have a great impact.
...5) They have never heard the Gospel.... Kids need to hear the Gospel, now more than ever...
This is a fault with many assemblies and is not restricted to young folks
...I understand that this is not speaking for all Christians, but these are some reasons why our kids are apostatizing.
Mostly they leave because they were never part of the church to begin with. Many of them were part of the youth groups, but most churches keep those seperated because of tradition without realizing what damage is being done.

Whether, the faults you are seeing are the result of a young man who simply wants something worthwhile to fight for or the beginning of discernment, I suggest taking a slightly different approach when beringing such things up.

Never bring up a problem if you cannot also offer a feasible solution as well, unless it is something that has to be handled immediately.

Last edited:
Reactions: Juk
I've posted this here before, but Matt Walsh (the author of this article) really nailed it when it comes to the church-going culture and why young people are turning away.

http://themattwalshblog.com/2015/05/14/young-people/

If the only option I saw was anything other than the orthodoxy, it'd be difficult for me to accept it as true. Why be a Christian when the world offers the same thing only better?
I agree with him. At first it sounded like some heretical attempts to spice up a meeting :whistle:.

It's a very common thing with church.... It's not so much that kids leave CHRISTIANITY - as they leave the church for a while.

So... Here's little challenge... Figure out how many single people that actively attend your church are between 18 and 30 years old... Likely not many compared to the numbers of 12-18 and 40-60....

Here's what happens... at 18 - you age out of the youth group and end up in the "Normal" church... Slow, boring, old songs... Not grooving worship... Not many friends... Not much real fellowship... No small group bible study.. The "young" guys in the "Men's group" are in their mid 50's.

And - you gotta go to college and/or get a job. That means a lot of hours.... Weird shifts.. Move out of the house and go wherever you gotta go. Etc... Then you are dating, get married, start a family... That's a very hectic time...

Finally - when the kids are 3 or 4, you decide "Gosh, we ought to go find another church...." and so off you... find a church and start over again... Except now, you are close to 30... and then you get involved again.

The best thing you can do in that in-between age/time is to find a college Christian fellowship. There, you will meet and be able to do all sorts of stuff with people your own age... Worship, hang out, fellowship, etc.

Thanks

Among the brethren with whom I walk in fellowship, we tend to able to retain our young people. Not all of them, but most. The ones that do go out do so for a variety of reasons. I'm a youngster, so I think I understand the pressures that are on the young these days, and I understand why some do get discouraged and leave the circle of the fellowship. It's hard for them in some places, especially when there're very few brethren, the young can feel isolated. I admire the faithfulness of those who do stay, even in these circumstances.

I think a young person will only stay in a fellowship like ours if they come to a real personal appreciation of the truth of the assembly and what it means to the Lord Jesus. Otherwise, denominations can seem very attractive to them. I understand the attraction, though I would never be a member of a denomination myself. The truth of the one Body is far too important for that.

Back