The Names and Titles of our Lord

Last week, I was watching a YouTube discussion between Christian educators. One of them recounted an event where a visiting preacher was asked to give a sermon. According to the speaker, the whole sermon consisted of the names and titles of Jesus found in the Bible (both testaments). It apparently went on for 45 minutes!

I have pondered this through the week, meditating on it as I performed some boring tasks. A lot about Our Lord can be learned by examining and meditating on His names.

Rather than list all that come to _my_ mind, which may be an embarrassingly short list, I propose that we work together, adding a title or name or two with each post.

Although I am specifically asking for references for the Son, the names and titles for the Father and the Spirit are also of just as much interest, so I would like to simply ask that we identify which person being named or titled.

So I will start off (and yes I realize that I have used several just in writing this post).:

The Son - Jesus

Son in Hebrew is ben בן. The two Hebrew letters mean, in/house and seed/life. It makes sense because within a son are the generations that follows. The son has the life within. "A child is born, but a Son is given..." Isa 9:6a. The Son was sent. The Son is life. Life is in within the Son. The Son is the seed of Gen 3:15. The word for father in Hebrew is ab אב, and its two Hebrew letters mean authority/strength/sacrifice and again in/house. The Father is the strength of the house. When God gave us His only begotten Son, He sacrificed Jesus for us. In the Father, is the Sacrifice, ab. For when you add the fifth letter of the Hebrew alphabet, hey ה, between the two letters for Father, you get אהב ahab which means love. The heart of the Father is grace, the meaning of the fifth letter, as well as window because it reveals. Each letter also has a numerical value because in Hebrew there are no numbers, you use the letters. Alef is 1, Beit is 2, and so forth. The numeric value of father is 3. The value of son is 52 which is the same numerical value of and Elohim (God) ואלהי, and blood ובדם, heart לבך, and my God אלוהי. Finally, the big ones: Messiah משׁיח and Word of the Lord יהוה דבר
have a value of 52.

There are more that match 52, but I thought these were enough.

That's just two words, Father and Son. Imagine the gems with the others! :D

Last edited:
Lord of the Sabaoth

Romans 9:29 [NASB]
And just as Isaiah foretold,
“Unless the Lord of Sabaoth had left to us A posterity,
WE would have become like Sodom, and would have resembled Gomorrah.”

James 5:4 [ NASB ]
Behold, the pay of the laborers who mowed your fields, and which has been withheld by you, cries out against you; and the outcry of those who did the harvesting has reached the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth

OOps!!!
In my previous post I mentioned "Lord of the Sabaoth"

I should have just written Lord of Sabaoth ( there should be no 'the'), which means Lord of Hosts.

As I was typing, my fingers anticipated another title:

Lord of the Sabbath

Matt 9:6
"But so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins”—then He said to the paralytic, “Get up, pick up your bed and go home.”

Jesus - Salvation - ישׁועה - its Hebrew letters are so amazing.

י - yod - work, arm and hand, deed - value 10
שׁ - shin/sin - eat, destroy, supply - value 300
ו - vav - tent peg, nail, "and" - value 6
ע - aiyn - eye, see, experience - value 70
ה - hey - behold!, look, window, grace - value 5

Jesus means - By His work/deed He destroyed it with a nail! Experience grace! By His hands nailed, we can see His grace. By His hands He supplied the reconciliation to see the revelation.

Total value 391

Some other words that have the same value, separated with a comma, though they are single words in Hebrew and Greek:

to my friends לאנשי, guilty אשמים, finish השלימו, dwell השכוני, and desolation ושממה, and ripped ויקרעה, the broken הרצוץ, from the afternoon ומצהרים, the tongue הלשון, spoil שאסיך, and their denials ובכחשיהם, glorified εδοξασαν, watched θεασαμενοι, lawyer νομικας, love αγαπατε.​

Phrases: what is his name מה שׁמו, the temple ο ναος, from the power of death מיד שׁאול

How amazing! Only God could put value to letters that point to events in Jesus' life!

Bread of Life - לחם החיים

Interestingly, "bread" first appears in Gen 3:19 as part of the curse. In fact, the word bread (lechem לחם) when pronounced lecham (לחם) means to battle, to war, to fight, and to eat food. The Hebrew letters mean control/to/from, separation/fenced/wall, chaos/waters - When water and flour are mixed, they're kneaded into bread and put into the fire. Control the separation of chaos or control the separation of waters. Hunger is chaos both of the stomach and to the spirit. To eat brings waters, salivating, stomach acids which wars against the elements to become energy (fire). The value of bread is 78.

The in Hebrew is simply the addition of the letter hey ה. It is the 5th letter in Hebrew and has a meaning of behold/window/revelation/grace. It's value is 5.

Life in Hebrew is חיים literally "lives". חיים letter meanings are separation/fenced/wall, work/deed/arm & hand, work/deed/arm & hand, chaos/waters.

To understand this, you must see what the word blood is in Hebrew which is דם and the letters mean door/path, chaos/waters. Our body's paths (veins) hold water (blood) which is the life, Gen 9:4. So life, חיים means fenced, work, deed, water. Our life is in the blood just as the word of God says and is contained within us. By it we work and do.

The Bread of Life wars for us, satisfies us, by the shedding of His blood, His life poured out for us. So that by His work/deed, we have life! While we know this from word, the letters spell it out too. Every nuance points to Jesus in one way or another.

Star of the morning (or as NASB renders it, bright morning star).

Revelation 22:16 [ NASB ]
“I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things for the churches. I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star.”

Many read this and are concerned because the enemy appears to be called a similar title in Isaiah:

Isaiah 14:12 [ NASB ]
“How you have fallen from heaven,
O  star of the morning, son of the dawn!
You have been cut down to the earth,
You who have weakened the nations!

The King James version renders this as How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! leaving the phrase Star of the morning as "Lucifer".

But, it is important to understand that in the Isaiah passage, it was used in a somewhat mocking sense to show how far the enemy fell, not as a sober description of the enemy, much less his name. This is a reverse similarity to the mocking Jesus received from onlookers (example: Luke 33:35) at his crucifixion. In the case of the mocking of our Lord, the reality is that He was ( is ) the Christ they mockingly called Him.

Son in Hebrew is ben בן. The two Hebrew letters mean, in/house and seed/life. It makes sense because within a son are the generations that follows. The son has the life within. "A child is born, but a Son is given..." Isa 9:6a. The Son was sent. The Son is life. Life is in within the Son. The Son is the seed of Gen 3:15. The word for father in Hebrew is ab אב, and its two Hebrew letters mean authority/strength/sacrifice and again in/house. The Father is the strength of the house. When God gave us His only begotten Son, He sacrificed Jesus for us. In the Father, is the Sacrifice, ab. For when you add the fifth letter of the Hebrew alphabet, hey ה, between the two letters for Father, you get אהב ahab which means love. The heart of the Father is grace, the meaning of the fifth letter, as well as window because it reveals. Each letter also has a numerical value because in Hebrew there are no numbers, you use the letters. Alef is 1, Beit is 2, and so forth. The numeric value of father is 3. The value of son is 52 which is the same numerical value of and Elohim (God) ואלהי, and blood ובדם, heart לבך, and my God אלוהי. Finally, the big ones: Messiah משׁיח and Word of the Lord יהוה דבר
have a value of 52.

There are more that match 52, but I thought these were enough.

That's just two words, Father and Son. Imagine the gems with the others! :D

What does the name Adonai mean?

Back