The Names and Titles of our Lord

Star of the morning (or as NASB renders it, bright morning star).

Revelation 22:16 [ NASB ]
“I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things for the churches. I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star.”

Many read this and are concerned because the enemy appears to be called a similar title in Isaiah:

Isaiah 14:12 [ NASB ]
“How you have fallen from heaven,
O  star of the morning, son of the dawn!
You have been cut down to the earth,
You who have weakened the nations!

The King James version renders this as How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! leaving the phrase Star of the morning as "Lucifer".

But, it is important to understand that in the Isaiah passage, it was used in a somewhat mocking sense to show how far the enemy fell, not as a sober description of the enemy, much less his name. This is a reverse similarity to the mocking Jesus received from onlookers (example: Luke 33:35) at his crucifixion. In the case of the mocking of our Lord, the reality is that He was ( is ) the Christ they mockingly called Him.

I think the context of this verse mean that this whole passage is about the King of Babylon, not Satan. I can't recall the Bible anywhere stating that this refers to anyone other than the Babylonian King, in cross referencing I mean, so I don't think we need to worry about it at all. Hope this helps : )

One of my favourite names for Jesus: Wonderful Counsellor. He has certainly counselled me in a wonderful way my whole life.

It's such a comfort to know that He is always with us, and when people fail us it is OK - we have His constant help and advise through His indwelling Spirit. His counselling is reliable because He only speaks the truth. His motive is pure because He is only ever good. And His love is unconditional, so He always has our best interests at heart.

And, of course, His help is free. So everyone can be counselled by His wisdom even if we cannot afford professional help, as has sometimes been my case. It's exraordinary what He has led me through and the healing He has very gently and naturally given me.

Another connected name; Teacher. We are all taught of God by His Spirit of Truth, who leads us into all Truth as Jesus said He would. This means that even those in the world who have no Bible will be led by God, as per His new covenant with them and with us. The Spirit of Christ inspired the writers of the Bible after all. God will not fail them if they are genuinely His.

JPPT1974 I like that term "Messiah of all." There are verses that say He is "Lord of all, the living and the dead," and "Saviour of all, especially of those who believe." This means that He is already Lord over every human being, and the Saviour of every person, as designated by the Father - including current unbelievers. Another verse says that God the Father has appointed Him to this, so it is already accomplished that He is their Lord and Saviour. When they come to Him in faith and repentance they are bowing to who He already is, and acknowledging and accepting His Lordship over them and that He is the Saviour of all.

Seen and done this way, I believe their conversion begins on a stronger foundation of humility and awe of God. In contrast, believing that we can "make" Jesus our Lord and Saviour may begin our relationship with Him on a weaker foundation, as our understanding of Him, our perception of who He really is, does not encompass the reality of what God the Father has already done in exalting Him above every other name, irrevocably and gloriously.

If we remember to present Jesus to them as their powerful Lord who has expectations of them morally and ethically, and who will determine their destiny, and also their kind Saviour who invites them to know Him and be cleansed, healed and helped, I believe we preach a powerful, convicting and compassionate gospel that gives them the real Jesus.

This can only begin their relationship to Him with the correct understanding that He is truly Almighty God to whom they owe everything and whom they must obey. What a great start to what can be a very difficult life. This is what I want for them: give them Jesus. Give them their magnificent Messiah.

I overlooked this wonderful thread from almost a year ago. I love reading ALL the contributions of names and titles of our Lord. This is a great testimony of real people, brothers and sisters, who love the Lord and love reading His Word.

You all bless me this morning. Thank you!

We have mentioned many names for our Lord Jesus, and some referring to the Father, and I thank everyone who has contributed to this thread...

When opening this thread, I specifically left it open for each person of God (Father, Son and also Spirit).

While there are many remaining concerning names and titles of Jesus, and we may still post more, I would like to give some attention to the Spirit.

For example:

He is the Helper promised by Christ in John Chapter 14:

John 14:26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you

The Spirit is the Intercessor

Romans 8:26 In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words;

Back