The parable of the sower

The parable of the sower

The parable of the sower.

Mar 4:13
And he saith unto them, Know ye not this parable? and how shall ye know all the parables?

This came to my mind today. Just want some peoples thoughts.
Do you think there is more importance in this parable based on what Jesus said in verse 13 above?

The parable of the sower.

Mar 4:13
And he saith unto them, Know ye not this parable? and how shall ye know all the parables?

This came to my mind today. Just want some peoples thoughts.
Do you think there is more importance in this parable based on what Jesus said in verse 13 above?
I don't think this parable is more important than the others. Jesus is wondering.

The New Living translates it:

Then Jesus said to them, “If you can’t understand the meaning of this parable, how will you understand all the other parables?
verses 10-12 read:

10 Later, when Jesus was alone with the twelve disciples and with the others who were gathered around, they asked him what the parables meant.

11 He replied, “You are permitted to understand the secret of the Kingdom of God. But I use parables for everything I say to outsiders,

12 so that the Scriptures might be fulfilled:
‘When they see what I do,
they will learn nothing.
When they hear what I say,
they will not understand.
Otherwise, they will turn to me
and be forgiven.’”
Parables were how Jesus kept His message for those who had 'ears to hear.'

In the following verses Jesus went on to explain the meaning of the parable.

I was thinking more along the lines of… if one can understand that parable, it would bring more understanding out of the other parables. Kind of like the parables being a puzzle and that parable being the boarder. Once the boarder is in place and you can see it clearly, the rest fall into place more easily.

Of course, I may just be thinking too much.
I should go have a sandwich. :)
(but not spam)

It may have been important because it was decsribing things to come and how we must be alert in the days just before His Second Coming.

"He answered, 'The one who sowed the good seed is the Son of Man. The field is the world, and the good seed stands for the sons of The Kingdom. The weeds are the sons of the evil one, and the enemy who sows them is the devil [see That Old Serpent]. The harvest is the end of the age, and the harvesters are angels.'"
Daily Bible Study - Parable Of The Weeds

My understanding is Mark 4:13 is literal in meaning. If anything, the preceeding parable is merely an example (because Jesus had just said it). In other words, you could probably put the conversation after any parable that Jesus said, and it will still mean the same thing.

I suppose you could put it after any parable, but Jesus said “this” parable. I believe He was pointing to this particular parable. I don’t think the parable itself holds more importance than the others, but the understanding of it may have more importance.

Perhaps the key may be the reaction of each heart to the visitation form God. Those truly touched by Him were strengthened and grew while those who merely gave mental acquiescence withered and died. God does indeed respond to your hearts attitude.

I suppose you could put it after any parable, but Jesus said “this” parable. I believe He was pointing to this particular parable. I don’t think the parable itself holds more importance than the others, but the understanding of it may have more importance.

Well, maybe Jesus was stressing the importance of how people will respond to the Gospel. To me this makes sense on why He would question His disciples on the parable. It would give them the ability to expect that not all who respond to the Gospel and accept Jesus would finish the race. Of course I am lumping the parable in with Mark 4:13 in my explanation.

Back