The parable of the talents

The parable of the talents

Hi,

I do not understand with the parable of the talents in Matthew 25: 14-28, especially when the master was scolding the servant with only one talent.

24"Then the man who had received the one talent came. 'Master,' he said, 'I knew that you are a hard man, harvesting where you have not sown and gathering where you have not scattered seed. 25So I was afraid and went out and hid your talent in the ground. See, here is what belongs to you.' 26"His master replied, 'You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed? 27Well then, you should have put my money on deposit with the bankers, so that when I returned I would have received it back with interest.
28" 'Take the talent from him and give it to the one who has the ten talents. 29For everyone who has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him. 30And throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'

As far as I know, the master represents God and we are the servants. How come the master said such thing like this : ''You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed?" .

What does it mean?
Thanks.

We are God's servants and we are to use what he gives us and give back to Him.
To sit idle is not doing anything for GOD~
Invest in that which God has given you~

From that line alone, it seems that the servant expected something miraculous to happen if he did nothing at all. Kinda like my friend that turned in a test paper blank and prayed that God would fill in the answers for him.

It would seem as though the Master gave him a gift and being an unmotivated person lacking faith in himself and those gifts he sat around doing nothing. His fear of the Master was apparent and fear is always the opposite of faith.

Jesus was speaking to those who followed him in his years of ministry. I think the parable is mostly about recognizing and siezing the opportunity to expand the Kingdom of God. It was unfolding right before their very eyes. It's about stepping out - taking risks - like the disciples did in that day (and not being lazy) To produce fruit in the Kingdom in the face of adversity.

Again it reflects on the leadership of Israel, who were not producing any fruit. It was they who sat on the sidelines and criticized and nit picked everything that Jesus, his disciples, and the Apostles were doing in Israel. They could not see the hour of their visitation - they did not recognize the opportunities that God had set before them. Their abilities were not applied to the Kingdom and thus they were totally unfruitful - like the servant who hid his money.

God requires that we all produce fruit. When we do, he will prune us so we will even produce more. A single talent of Gold was about fifteen years wages for a laborer - so the parable is speaking about a lot of money. The talent is equivalent to our time, effort, and abilities however how small or great. The great master took that which the unproductive servants had away from them and gave it to those who were producing an increase. It kind of goes along with the following verse...

MT 21:43 "Therefore I tell you that the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people who will produce its fruit. (Spoken to the Leaders)

talent

A gift given from the Master.

Immediately comes to mind a little song sung in Sunday school.

"This little light of mine, I'm going to let it shine..."

Be A Berean :read-bible:

Steve

All excellant answers. I also think that Jesus wanted to teach his disciples to be ready for His return. He wants His followers to be busy in service for Him and in the sharing of the good news of the gospel right up until the time of His return. Watchfulness and active service go hand in hand.

the OT Jews can earn a better degree of salavation for during the 1000 yr reign of Christ

those Jews who do not watch for the 2nd coming will deny Him are connected to Matt 7:21-23 = Matt 25:30

NT christians that are raptured before the Great Tribulation all recieve equal salvation

difference .... one judged by grace the other law

All excellant answers. I also think that Jesus wanted to teach his disciples to be ready for His return. He wants His followers to be busy in service for Him and in the sharing of the good news of the gospel right up until the time of His return. Watchfulness and active service go hand in hand.

Yes, it truly was about preparing our lives for His return!

but I just wonder how come the Master said
' So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed? '

is it simply because the Master was angry so he said that? or is that the reality? or does it have another meaning?

God is seen thru out scripture relating to people with the same heart they show towards Him.
2Sa 22:26 With the merciful thou wilt shew thyself merciful, and with the upright man thou wilt shew thyself upright.
2Sa 22:27 With the pure thou wilt shew thyself pure; and with the froward thou wilt shew thyself unsavoury.
2Sa 22:28 And the afflicted people thou wilt save: but thine eyes are upon the haughty, that thou mayest bring them down.

The first two servants willfully and joyfully did the work of thier Lord- the third had a low opinion of Him and wasted the resouces and talents the Master invested in Him. You reap what you sow- serve the Lord with a joyful heart.

the OT Jews can earn a better degree of salavation for during the 1000 yr reign of Christ

those Jews who do not watch for the 2nd coming will deny Him are connected to Matt 7:21-23 = Matt 25:30

NT christians that are raptured before the Great Tribulation all recieve equal salvation

difference .... one judged by grace the other law

ignored again....

Back