The Power of Righteousness

Have any of you ever read God's Devil, by Erwin W. Lutzer.

As my wife read excerpts from the early part of that book, there was a section that riveted my attention when the author talked about the power of righteousness, and the striking realities of the devil, and how his fall fit perfectly God's purposes.

The author outlined some of his thinking by reflecting upon how the devil could never have attained to the level of God because he lacked omniscience, omnipresence, omnipotence, and was certainly not eternal since the devil had a beginning, and so was not self-existent.

At best, the devil was/is consumed. Some call him stupid for what he did, but I choose to not slander him, but rather to observe that he was consumed in the flames of pride, greed and any number of other descriptors that language is simply not able to encapsulate.

These and other thoughts led to what I have been mulling over for some years now, such as why redemption was/is not offered to the devil and his fallen angels. They beheld God in His glory in Heaven, and yet still chose rebellion. The Lord never implemented any move toward a redeeming pathway for them, but to mankind, He has and does.

It's with caution that I launch out into this, so please keep that in mind as I don't want this to be misconstrued as accusatory nor high-mindedness on my part.

Some of you have read where I stated that reading the word of God has two aspects we all need to retain in the backs of our minds...reading the word of God for what it DOES say, AND for what it does NOT say.

Adam and Eve are not said to have been righteous in Genesis 1, and they both fell. The angels are not said to have been righteous, and a third of them fell. The only righteousness any other ever had/has is that which is imputed upon him or her by the Lord Himself.

God, who IS righteous, has not and will not ever fall. That is another of the main points that would keep the devil from ever attaining unto Godhood...without righteousness, the devil would never have been able to withstand such power without righteousness, for any and all power that is not defined, ruled and governed by righteousness, self-destructs. It cannot sustain.

That is another point the author brought forth, and whether that is God's own truth or not, I do not know, but it does strike a chord within me, giving rise to an even deeper appreciation for Who God is.

Oh, there is so much more I could write, but will leave off here so that this doesn't become so long.

This is a fascination to me, because as in any warfare, knowing your enemy is tantamount to victory. Granted, the Lord knows the devil and fights our battles for us, but as was the case with Job, had he better understood his adversary, perhaps he would not have fallen so deeply into the follies of daring to question the Lord.

MM

I had to watch this a few times, and mull it over in order to wrap my brain around it, considering all the gripes one could launch against Jordan's logic, and how it relates to the reality of the word of God and the soul of man relationally, all before posting this.

It's with care that I endorse an aspect of this, only because I have encountered so many who think they are not forgivable, or that God can't do anything with them because they are just too bad, or have done things the blood of Christ can't cleanse.

Setting aside the pride elements of those mindsets, what struck me about the concept Joran was addressing is very much akin to what we in Christendom call that phenomenon of growth...sanctification.

Those who set too high their expectations for being righteous, looking to one of the Patriarchs for example, and claiming that they can't jump to that level...who in all the word ever did that?

The sinner has to set the bar lower in their mind's eye, and start with the milk like all the rest of us did when first we came into the fold. Incremental growth is now one is able to stand in the gale force winds of life, because were one to suddenly find himself standing tall in such winds without having grown into that stature, he would be blown over without the experiential use of legs that long.

We have to start with our eyes looking to a more realistic level of faith, and allow the Lord to grow that faith within us, looking not to Patriarchs, but to Christ...seeking to attain the fullness of His stature as the goal. He helps that process greatly by imputing His righteousness upon us!

Amen.

MM

The power of righteousness is expressed in so many ways. For the institutional churches to have any semblance of righteousness, it has to begin by first seeking to obey God, and to EXUDE Christ to the world around them rather than to cower under the guise of not being "political!"

I had to watch this a few times, and mull it over in order to wrap my brain around it, considering all the gripes one could launch against Jordan's logic, and how it relates to the reality of the word of God and the soul of man relationally, all before posting this.

It's with care that I endorse an aspect of this, only because I have encountered so many who think they are not forgivable, or that God can't do anything with them because they are just too bad, or have done things the blood of Christ can't cleanse.

Setting aside the pride elements of those mindsets, what struck me about the concept Joran was addressing is very much akin to what we in Christendom call that phenomenon of growth...sanctification.

Those who set too high their expectations for being righteous, looking to one of the Patriarchs for example, and claiming that they can't jump to that level...who in all the word ever did that?

The sinner has to set the bar lower in their mind's eye, and start with the milk like all the rest of us did when first we came into the fold. Incremental growth is now one is able to stand in the gale force winds of life, because were one to suddenly find himself standing tall in such winds without having grown into that stature, he would be blown over without the experiential use of legs that long.

We have to start with our eyes looking to a more realistic level of faith, and allow the Lord to grow that faith within us, looking not to Patriarchs, but to Christ...seeking to attain the fullness of His stature as the goal. He helps that process greatly by imputing His righteousness upon us!

Amen.

MM

What you wrote there, and as highlighted by me is so true in my experience but you have the ability to parallel that well with scripture and finding association with other teachers.

Any good habits I begin eventually fail because I was not clear in who I wanted to be, or, I was clear in who I wanted to be but lacked a reason why.

Can you dig into some teachings on Purpose? 😎 I like your stuff. (and Jordan Peterson teachings)

Edit, I think I may have sank into some kind of despair and feel stuck☹️

What you wrote there, and as highlighted by me is so true in my experience but you have the ability to parallel that well with scripture and finding association with other teachers.

Any good habits I begin eventually fail because I was not clear in who I wanted to be, or, I was clear in who I wanted to be but lacked a reason why.

Can you dig into some teachings on Purpose? 😎 I like your stuff. (and Jordan Peterson teachings)

Done.

MM

Speaking of the power of righteousness, when we read the account of the disciples speaking in tongues at Pentacost, I can't help but to think about what an experience that was for them.

My thoughts drifted about today, somewhat, to an episode when a friend of mine tried to get my former wife and myself to speak in tongues. He claimed that tongues is for everyone, but I knew better. However, to humor him, I went along with the exercise as he instructed, and this is pretty much how it tirned out:

So, was the Purpose thread OP what you were looking for?

MM

So, was the Purpose thread OP what you were looking for?

MM
Not at first no. But after a few times reading, Yes, You said something that spoke well to me here;

Understand that He will give to you only what you can handle, but by growing you in your spiritual stature, the purposes to which He calls you will also grow.

I realised through the above sentence that
This American dream that people all love and crave seems to have by passed me by and I’m angry. I want one. But alas, it’s just not there. I feel angry with God.
However, I also recognise now that God won’t just give you your desires if your not ready. He doesn’t make mistakes.

Jeremiah 32:19 '[You are] great in counsel and mighty in work, for Your eyes [are] open to all the ways of the sons of men, to give everyone according to his ways and according to the fruit of his doings

The above scripture also speaks well to me and I don’t feel as despairing today. I trust He will continue to reveal things I need to do or change.

Seems He has cleared a path for me already😃 and hope is born.

Ty

Not at first no. But after a few times reading, Yes, You said something that spoke well to me here;

I realised through the above sentence that
This American dream that people all love and crave seems to have by passed me by and I’m angry. I want one. But alas, it’s just not there. I feel angry with God.
However, I also recognise now that God won’t just give you your desires if your not ready. He doesn’t make mistakes.

Jeremiah 32:19 '[You are] great in counsel and mighty in work, for Your eyes [are] open to all the ways of the sons of men, to give everyone according to his ways and according to the fruit of his doings

The above scripture also speaks well to me and I don’t feel as despairing today. I trust He will continue to reveal things I need to do or change.

Seems He has cleared a path for me already😃 and hope is born.

Ty

Via, it's always very easy for others, who are not living through your experiences, to heap upon you all manner of lavish and wondrous sounding advice. For your understanding, I don't harbor such aspirations when it comes to speaking with others who are going through a rough time. That's why my prime focus is always upon the Lord and what HE will do in the lives of others who are living out what I cannot relate to from an experiential standpoint.

What crosses ALL barriers are the words and works of Christ in the lives of ALL His people. His promises, as you know, are not bound by national borders, language barriers or anything else of this world because we are ALL made in the One and Same Image. We all live in a macrocosm rather than a contrived microcosm.

Therein is the reason behind my making copious use of God's word in topics that hit home to so many. His word is the one commonality to which we can all relate and rely upon.

Blessings to you and yours.

MM

Via, it's always very easy for others, who are not living through your experiences, to heap upon you all manner of lavish and wondrous sounding advice. For your understanding, I don't harbor such aspirations when it comes to speaking with others who are going through a rough time. That's why my prime focus is always upon the Lord and what HE will do in the lives of others who are living out what I cannot relate to from an experiential standpoint.

What crosses ALL barriers are the words and works of Christ in the lives of ALL His people. His promises, as you know, are not bound by national borders, language barriers or anything else of this world because we are ALL made in the One and Same Image. We all live in a macrocosm rather than a contrived microcosm.

Therein is the reason behind my making copious use of God's word in topics that hit home to so many. His word is the one commonality to which we can all relate and rely upon.

Blessings to you and yours.

MM

Well, I can tell you it’s a refreshing experience for these struggles to not actually have the answer and just let it be the journey it is meant to be.
I just need to remember to keep my soul anchored well.

Blessings.

Last edited:
Well, I can tell you it’s a refreshing experience for these struggles to not actually have the answer and just let it be the journey it is meant to be.
I just need to remember to keep my soul anchored well.

Blessings.

You know, not many people have that stature in their lives to recognize the need for hardships to build us up.

Most generally, some people grow from their experiences in hardships, and others give in to bitterness, which is a tragic fork in the road for anyone to take. A couple of people in the past even asked, "Why not allow bitterness to make me stronger?"

I told them that bitterness is like taking a dose of arsenic each day with one's tea...once enough has accumulated in the tissues, it destroys the vital organs, bringing death.

You have a family here upon whom you can lean. Maybe not physical shoulders due to proximity, but spiritual and emotional ones that aren't always so easy to find in proximity.

MM

Last edited:
It was argued somewhere among all these threads that Adam had to have been present when the serpent deceived Eve, which goes to the root departure from righteousness.

In the following video, Voddie talks about the the idea out there that Adam's FIRST sin was in his failure to protect Eve from the deception she had fallen into with the serpent. How is it, then, that Adam's failure in his duty as a husband before he ever ate of that fruit, that sin entered the world at the point of his second failure (in eating of that fruit) and not the first in his duty to protect Eve?

This is why it seems reasonable to say that Adam was not within earshot of that conversation Eve had with the serpent:

Those who argue that Adam was present are arguing from silence which prevents their arguments from being taken seriously since the issue is impossible to resolve with absolute truth.

Those who argue that Adam was present are arguing from silence which prevents their arguments from being taken seriously since the issue is impossible to resolve with absolute truth.

Very true indeed, BL. I totally agree. Thanks for the confirmation. That's the reason I said that it's "reasonable" to say that Adam was not within earshot of that conversation. I don't like leaving myself open to the error of, as you said, arguing from silence.

MM

Another thought-provoking conveyance that CLEALY goes against the Popular-ism Bandwagon of pop-Christianity is the thought that "religious freedom" is not at all what a true follower of Christ should support:

Back