The "prophets" of our culture

It's interesting how much that we in the church focus on "True Prophets" within the church vs "False prophets" within the church..... and of course, each church loves to proclaim Their Guy is Good and everybody else's church is lead by Apostates....

But... We completely ignore the "Prophets" within the culture - the ones that Society and our Leadership get THEIR guidance from....

Think... When Ahab consulted the 400 prophets in 2nd Chronicles - they were NOT Prophets of YHWH... They were Prophets of Baal.... And... When Jehosaphat requested "Is there not one prophet of YHWH" - he was making an observation that there was NOT ONE SINGLE prophet of YHWH within the bunch - Not even one.....

Where are society and our leaders getting their direction and their guidance from? It's coming from thousands of people who are in positions of authority and positions of influence....

Have we got to the point where we don't even ASK for God's input anymore.. because WE are Modern men... We have climbed above all that dusty old "Religious Superstition"...... We have Experts - don't you know these fellows are at the TOP of their fields....

It's interesting how much that we in the church focus on "True Prophets" within the church vs "False prophets" within the church..... and of course, each church loves to proclaim Their Guy is Good and everybody else's church is lead by Apostates....

But... We completely ignore the "Prophets" within the culture - the ones that Society and our Leadership get THEIR guidance from....

Think... When Ahab consulted the 400 prophets in 2nd Chronicles - they were NOT Prophets of YHWH... They were Prophets of Baal.... And... When Jehosaphat requested "Is there not one prophet of YHWH" - he was making an observation that there was NOT ONE SINGLE prophet of YHWH within the bunch - Not even one.....

Where are society and our leaders getting their direction and their guidance from? It's coming from thousands of people who are in positions of authority and positions of influence....

Have we got to the point where we don't even ASK for God's input anymore.. because WE are Modern men... We have climbed above all that dusty old "Religious Superstition"...... We have Experts - don't you know these fellows are at the TOP of their fields....

You make an excellent point. May I also say the Bible gives us a hint!
Ephesians 2:2...........
"in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience"!

Unless I'm mistaken, I'm noticing the word "prophet" being interchangeable with pastor or even preacher. Correct me if I'm wrong, because I may be misreading, but are you meaning pastor and not prophet?

Nope - I do not mean "Pastor"..

Pastor typically involves leadership and administration tasks... while the "Prophet" may be a very prominent and influential "Voice" - but is not necessarily involved with the actual administration of the leadership.... Prophets don't necessarily have the skill to lead....

For example... Look at the famous economist Paul Krugman and radio personality Rush Limbaugh.... Both are clearly not "Leaders" in the political or administrative sense.... but both do have a very prominent, influential "Voice"..... (Please don't construe this as me declaring these men either a true or false prophet... I am just using the example of a prominent, influential voice)

Nope - I do not mean "Pastor"..

Pastor typically involves leadership and administration tasks... while the "Prophet" may be a very prominent and influential "Voice" - but is not necessarily involved with the actual administration of the leadership.... Prophets don't necessarily have the skill to lead....

For example... Look at the famous economist Paul Krugman and radio personality Rush Limbaugh.... Both are clearly not "Leaders" in the political or administrative sense.... but both do have a very prominent, influential "Voice"..... (Please don't construe this as me declaring these men either a true or false prophet... I am just using the example of a prominent, influential voice)

Perhaps you're not talking about a pastor, but isn't what you described a Preacher rather than a prophet? A preacher is someone who evangelizes, someone who goes out and speaks the truth (though of course many speak falsehoods). A prophet is someone who foretells God's will.

Who will win the battle?

I would say pagan oracle/ prophets in ancient times and modern times uses the same magic formula:

Insider information, mathematics of probability and a bit of luck…..

I think there is a difference though.. If we ask "All the prophets of Jesus, raise your hand", then all the modern day prophets are going to raise their hand.. In the time of Ahab, it was different.. They were openly prophets of baal.. Of course, they are also false prophets.. But they completely outside.. For example, back in India we have hindu prophets.. They do the same things which Christian prophets though.. Are they false prophets? Yes! But they a different flavor. The increase of false prophets we see today is within the Church.. That is what marks the difference..

You are heading into a completely different doctrinal discussion....
I really have no desire to argue back and forth about whether Prophecy is active within the Church or not... For the purpose of this forum, that discussion classifies under the list of "Endless genealogies and wranglings over words" cautioned against in Titus.....

My observation has to do with the "Prophets" of our culture and society... who are Proclaiming their Truth - and declaiming all others... Each one proclaiming "The One True Way"..... but as a whole, they have absolutely nothing to do what-so-ever with either God himself, or God's will... and turn THOUSANDS astray!

magic formula:

Insider information, mathematics of probability and a bit of luck…..

That's giving them way more credit than they are due....
I have seen that it has nothing to do with that... It's usually 100% based on logic fallacies....

For example... The endless Strawman arguments like:
You Fundamental Christians HATE Gays... You guys are so bigoted... They should BAN Christianity! Since the News Media already hates us - they will make sure that guy gets 24/7 coverage....

That's giving them way more credit than they are due....
I have seen that it has nothing to do with that... It's usually 100% based on logic fallacies....

For example... The endless Strawman arguments like:
You Fundamental Christians HATE Gays... You guys are so bigoted... They should BAN Christianity! Since the News Media already hates us - they will make sure that guy gets 24/7 coverage....

Ah ok, yes, I think which is more similar to ancient roles to modern roles has to be made…

The example in the OP:
The oracles to kings in ancient times, I would likely compare it to oracles on government on policy making.

While the latter example:

self-righteous mob instigator in ancient times, likely to compare today as the same, logically fallacious mob instigator ....

that they are just using the media....

And the media is a business what sells to the mob….

I believe that you are seeing One being used clearly to influence the other and vice versa....

For example... those championing Policy direction will use "The Mob" to popularize that policy direction....

Back