The right religion

U

Unregistered

The right religion

I was just wondering what makes you know that Christianity is the right religion. I have never been able to grasp the concept of any religion personally, but I was just wondering how you know that Christianity right? You may say that it's because the bible says so, but isn't the Qur'an just like the Bible? How do you know it isn't really that book that's telling the truth and not the Bible? I'm sure they're Muslims out there who believe just as strongly as you believe the Bible is right, that the Qur'an is right, and that the bible is lie!

I may have come across as a bit rude but I mean know offence I just can't understand how you can be so sure about something when they're are so many people who "know" it's wrong...

I was just wondering what makes you know that Christianity is the right religion.
What a great couple of questions! Thank you for being up front in this.

The first concept to grasp is that Christianity is not a religion. It is a relationship. You have Lutherans, Southern Baptists, Presbyterian, and more denominations which you might call "religions" and which may be Christian but Christianity is a relationship we have with the creator of the universe.
I have never been able to grasp the concept of any religion personally, but I was just wondering how you know that Christianity right?
Excellent observation and very noteworthy. You have a strong case in that when you look at all of the world's religions, it is natural to ask how each of them can know that they alone have the truth.

There is one thing the separates Christianity from the world's religions. That is that Christianity is the only entity which asks people to reasonably study the facts.

You may say that it's because the bible says so, but isn't the Qur'an just like the Bible? How do you know it isn't really that book that's telling the truth and not the Bible? I'm sure they're Muslims out there who believe just as strongly as you believe the Bible is right, that the Qur'an is right, and that the bible is lie!

When we as Christians study the Bible we take note of any little nuance to see how it fits in with the entire puzzle as we believe that the Bible has no contradictions. There are areas that we may draw a blank on but in no cases do you have actual contradictions where person A was at locations B and C simultaneously. In no place is factual science contradicted even though the passage may have been written thousands of years ago.

Sadly, many Christians don't know how to defend the Bible. One celebrated case took place in the Scopes Monkey Trial where William Jennings Bryan took the stand and was asked some of the most basic and fundamental questions such as "Where did Lot's wife come from?" The celebrated William Jennings Bryan of the early part of the 20th century became a fool when he could not answer them.

Clearly, Muslims believe without question that the Qur'an is superior to the Bible. They have been taught that while the Qur'an has never been translated and is therefore highly dependable, that the Bible has been translated through the millenea countless times and therefore highly suspect. Nothing could be further from the truth. We have the Bible in its original languages of Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek. When the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered in 1948 it confirmed the accurate transmission of the scriptures over thousands of years. When a translation is done today the scholars translate from the original text consulting through literally thousands of manuscripts and fragments all written in the original language.

I may have come across as a bit rude but I mean know offence I just can't understand how you can be so sure about something when they're are so many people who "know" it's wrong...

But here is something else to consider: Just try discussing the veracity of the Qur'an with a Muslim. See what happens if you know what to point out.

After considering all the aspects, one must conclude without question that the Bible is the creator's message to man transmitted through the ages with incredible accuracy.

I know that it seems like an incredible statement. I invite you to throw a couple of questions out, questions that may appear as absolutely discrediting the Bible and embarrassing me. If you embarrass me I will take it in stride but feel free to offer up something you have found that looks pretty conclusive against the Bible.

What a great couple of questions! Thank you for being up front in this.

The first concept to grasp is that Christianity is not a religion. It is a relationship.
I like this statement.

Christianity is a relationship; whereas Lutheran, Methodist, Baptist, etc. are denominations.

:groupray:

I was just wondering what makes you know that Christianity is the right religion.

I personally do not view my faith as a religion. I view it more as a relationship, as others have said, because to me I found that keeping myself under these strict rules and regulations seriously hindered my faith. I let God lead me, not man.

I have never been able to grasp the concept of any religion personally...

Neither have I so welcome to the club. I think we should have a personal, individual 'friendship' with God, for lack of better words.

...but I was just wondering how you know that Christianity right?

I don't. That doesn't mean I don't have faith. Faith is the basis of everything. We can 'know' something very well but if we have no faith in it, what's the point? I really do not know that Christianity is right so I have to rely on my faith to see me through. That is what makes you trust God more than yourself.

You may say that it's because the bible says so, but isn't the Qur'an just like the Bible?

And how is Qur'an like the Bible? If you look deeply into both there are many differences between them. Every religion has their 'bible' but there is only one Bible with a capital B.

How do you know it isn't really that book that's telling the truth and not the Bible?

That's the whole point. The Bible is a book that tells the Truth. The Word was with God - the Word is God.

I'm sure they're Muslims out there who believe just as strongly as you believe the Bible is right, that the Qur'an is right, and that the bible is lie!

Everyone is like that. What we believe in personally, we refute everything else as a lie.

I may have come across as a bit rude but I mean know offence...

No you didn't come across as rude. Dear, I have seen, talked to, and met worse. You're an angel compared to some people.

I just can't understand how you can be so sure about something when they're are so many people who "know" it's wrong...

And who are these people? I would like to talk to them or hear what they have to say.

Because, even if I die and I believed in a lie, at least I strived to create a better person for myself. At least I didn't just waste my short life on this earth doing nothing for me or for other people.

We're only given a short time on this earth and we might as well leave with a foot print amongst the others instead of just fluttering away like a dead weed...

Because, even if I die and I believed in a lie, at least I strived to create a better person for myself. At least I didn't just waste my short life on this earth doing nothing for me or for other people.

We're only given a short time on this earth and we might as well leave with a foot print amongst the others instead of just fluttering away like a dead weed...
Wow! That's good!

Never thought of it that way! Good point!

I hope the original poster comes back to reply to some of the comments that have been made here.

I have never been able to grasp the concept of any religion personally, but I was just wondering how you know that Christianity right?

I have a question for you, but first, I do want to say that I admire you for taking the time to come onto a Christian forum and address a very serious question in such a respectful manner.

If you don't mind replying,
What do you think takes place after death?

And... do you think there is any meaning to the universe? Or do you see this reality as a cause and effect result of random chance?

I would like to discuss this with you, but it would be extremely helpful if I knew your responses to those two questions. :)

I have never been able to grasp the concept of any religion personally

I dont think that anybody can. See to me, to grasp a religion is basically trying to grasp God, Himself/Herself/Itself (varying from religion to religion). And when we say grasp, i assume it to mean to understand

Not even the most deeply faithful Christians can actually grasp because the human mind simply cannot understand it fully. The concept of Christianity is quite simple though.
It is a relationship with God through Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to have a relationship with God. He even said, "I am the way, the truth, and the light. Nobody comes to the father except through me." (dont remember the Bible address off the top of my head, but Im sure its recorded in each of the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John)

Re: The Right Religion

I was just wondering what makes you know that Christianity is the right religion. I have never been able to grasp the concept of any religion personally, but I was just wondering how you know that Christianity right? You may say that it's because the bible says so...

I do not simply believe the Bible because the Bible itself says it is true. Sure, I find truth and my faith is strengthened by reading the scriptures and there is plenty of information in the Bible that convinces me of the truth & reality of Christianity. I have often heard the question: “Why do you believe the Bible just because the Bible says itself is true?” I would like to point out in my experiences that there is multiple evidences in & out of the Bible which have lead me to my faith.

I am in no way attempting to diminish the writings of the Bible or take away from the impact that it has on Christians, I only want to point out that not every reason I believe in Christianity is simply because the Bible says it is true. Below I will post a few examples I have given elsewhere on this site. I call the mentioned occurrences “synchronizations”. However, that is a term I have dubbed this phenomenon to distinguish them from mere coincidences as I believe they are more than coincidence & I am aware many will only see them as just that; coincidences. These are but only a minute fraction that I have encountered & granted some seem easier to dismiss than others.

Again, I am not trying to diminish the content of the Bible and the affect it has on Christians, but I only want to point out (for me at least) there is evidence outside of the Bible that points to Christianity as true, and the below posted content is but only one example. I can already hear the question: “so you believe in Christianity based on mere coincidences?”; which I do deem as a valid question but I have experienced these “synchronizations” more times than I can count & the below material is only touching the surface of. I even saw numerous occurrences of these before I became a Christian which I too dismissed as coincidence but it got to the point to where there were so many “synchronizations” pertaining to Christianity (and far surpassed any other coincidences that I have ever encountered) that I could no longer ascribe the occurrences as mere coincidence.

Also since these “synchronizations” have been occurring I have been told by fellow friends in Christ that they routinely experience very similar occurrences, which I was not made aware of until after I discussed these occurrences of my own with them, I had no clue they had experienced these occurrences as well until I mentioned them myself. I am not saying this is what occurs for all Christians, but it has for me. In reading the following statements you will find I refer to instances related to television programming in some way, I hope this does not detour from the sincerity I place on such events.

1) The following example can also be found on my profile page as it is listed as part of my “testimony” & occurred while I was not a Christian. A good friend and I were discussing how Christianity, Islam and Judaism corresponded with one another in the past and present. Our discussion lasted for a couple hours or so. Within seconds after the discussion we turned the television on and the station (we didn’t have to change the channel as it was already on the correct station when we turned it on) was showing a documentary on how Christianity, Islam and Judaism corresponded with one another in the past and present. Also, the topics discussed on documentary went over almost all of the material me and my friend had been discussing ourselves just moments earlier.

2) A good friend and I were discussing the “unpardonable sin” and I was thumbing through the New Testament trying to locate in the Scriptures where it is discussed (I believe it is discussed in multiple places) and we were unable to find where the “unpardonable sin” is located. At this point I closed my Bible on my thumb holding a random place in the New Testament and proceed to look up a page number to locate such Scripture in the concordance in the back of my Bible. Once I found a chapter and verse reference in the concordance I flipped back to the page that my thumb was holding a random place in the New Testament. I looked down to see where in the New Testament I was so I could then proceed to get my “bearings” and I noticed my thumb was right below the chapter and verse I was referred to by the concordance and it was actually the information me and my friend were trying to locate all along.

3) I attended a friend of mine’s church for morning service, and the sermon the Pastor gave started reviewing a specific chapter (in it’s entirety) of the New Testament. After which the Pastor proceeded to review the chapter (in it’s entirety) that immediately preceded the chapter the Pastor had just discussed. The Pastor was trying to make a point, that regardless of how Scripture appears to be divided by chapter numbers (and even sometimes titles) that we should read the chapters in order to receive the correct context. When I arrived at home after the service that day, I turned on the television and started watching a Pastor (I do not put much stock into most Pastors/Preacher/Evangelists/ect… on television, but this particular one I believe I have learned from) who proceeded to review the exact same chapters and in reverse order as the Pastor had earlier that day, also stating that regardless of how Scripture appears to be divided by chapter numbers (and even sometimes titles) that we should read the chapters in order to receive the correct context).

4) One of my friends attends a Lutheran Church, and I have attended the Lutheran church with him on multiple occasions. I happened to be in a Christian bookstore and I noticed they had a “Lutheran Handbook”. I also wanted to purchase for a different friend (who is in the U.S. Army stationed in Iraq) a Bible that was produced for Army personal (which was personal sized, in a water proof container, and has inspirational speeches from presidents and notable Military officers in it, and had the official U.S. Army seal on it). I decided to purchase the “Army Bible” for my friend instead of buying the “Lutheran Handbook”. I was very interested in the “modern day Lutheran Church” at the time and hoped to get it at some later point. The following Sunday I yet again attended the Lutheran church with my friend, and afterwards I had a meeting with the Pastor there in her office discussing much of the Lutheran Church “Theology”. Before I left the Pastor offered me a free “Lutheran Handbook”. The “Lutheran Handbook" was the exact same one I had seen just recently at the Christian bookstore. It had the same binding, color and picture on the front as well. I did not know they had these handbooks for distribution until that day.

5) I was doing some self Bible Study and for some reason I could remember only a fraction of the 10 commandments (I know bad right? heh) so I was thumbing through my Bible trying to locate the 10 commandments but I was unable to. The television was on in the background muted and I decided to give my brain a rest for a moment (as I was concentrating on my Bible Study for quite some time) and un-muted the television which was showing Law & Order (I’m a big Law & Order fan), and on Law & Order (as soon as I un-muted the television) was a Jewish man reciting the 10 commandments.

6) As I was getting ready for church one morning I had the television on a station which was showing an Evangelist giving a sermon. In this sermon he was discussing “Postmodernism”. Simply put the Evangelist was talking about how it appears today’s culture is affecting Christians more than Christians are affecting culture. The sermon that same morning at church was the same topic: “it appears today’s culture is affecting Christians more than Christians are affecting culture”. Both the television Evangelist and the Preacher at church that morning used the term “Postmodernism” to clarify what they were discussing. That day was the first time I had heard the term “Postmodernism” used that I can ever remember.

7) As I was getting ready for church one morning I had the television on a station which was showing an Evangelist giving a sermon. In this sermon he was discussing three different types of “Love” found in the New Testament. The three types (found in Greek terminology) being Agape, Eros and Philia (iirc). The sermon that same morning at church was the same topic: discussing “three different types of “Love” found in the New Testament. The three types being Agape, Eros and Philia (iirc).” This was the first time I can ever remember being made aware of this topic at all.

Everyone thinks they are right about the things they believe otherwise they would be stupid to still believe them. I was brought up Pentecostal, but would describe myself as agnostic. I have no idea if there is a "God" or not, but I also believe it doesn't really matter. Pentecostalism never had what I would consider a ring of truth to it. It just sounded so make believe. Demons everywhere. I thought people speaking in tongues sounded silly. Most of my extended family was Southern Baptist. We went to church with them occasionally. The preacher had a very odd cadence to his speech that irked me. It sounded so phony and theatrical. Couldn't believe that one either. We also attended many of the traveling tent revivals where people would get hands laid on them to be healed. Never once did I see a convincing healing. Always migraines or arthritis or lower back pain. Never once did an amputee regrow a limb or a burn victim have the scars go away. Just seems fake, a show to collect cash. I had some friends where were Catholic went to church with them once boring. Also the Eucharist thing is creepy. Drinking blood and eating the flesh of Jesus? Why would God require that? Seems like something from a vampire novel. I had a Muslim roommate (From Turkey) in college, they think a lot of the same stuff as Christians, but have their own wackiness.

When I was a kid I believed very strongly. In fact I would pray all the time for god to hold off on the rapture cause I wanted to go to our upcoming school field trip or what ever cool event was coming up. Eventually I figured eh the world isn't ending and stop worrying about it.

For a start, Christianity is a relationship with the Father (our Lord) and not a religion.

The difference about Christianity and other religion is that Jesus died for us, whereas you will not find other gods die for us. Also, other gods did not say they loved us, and we must make own effort and sacrifice instead to serve those gods, eg, we must put on the alter apples and oranges for "chinese gods", milk pot for hindu gods etc etc. If they are real god, why must we serve them. You mean they will go hungry? Sometimes asking ourself such simple questions will enlighten oneself.

Whereas Jesus said He came to serve us and bless us because ultimately we are all made in His image and for His plesure.

I can go on and on but like to stop here.

Back