The Silly Things We Say And Do To God!

bobinfaith

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Hello brothers and sisters;

Is there a silly thing you have said or done, and what Scripture came to mind?

I'll start this and see where it goes.

Years ago I was angry at God because of a job that I wanted so bad but got turned over. So I verbally told Him I wasn't talking to Him...forever! This lasted a week and one day I looked in the mirror. YIKES!

Ecclesiastes 7:9, 9 Be not quick in your spirit to become angry, for anger lodges in the heart of fools.

Anyone else?

When I was a young man, I was stressed about living on an airman's income and providing for my wife in a high cost of living area (Virginia suburbs of Washington DC).

Like many, I thought about if I had a multi-million income, I could give the greater portion to the church, giving many times a scriptural 10%; all the while living much easier.

Not really a model of sacrificial giving!

I expect I'm not alone in unconsciously having feelings of merit in my perceived relationship to God.
- Going the distance in hardships for the Lord and it seems the other fellow is on the receiving of the coveted blessing, and I feel shorted.
- I might feel justified in asking why when things do not go as I think they should - God is in control and he doesn't have to answer to me for anything.
- I have in my early years I've thrown out a fleece on my own volition - making God an errand boy...
- In the scripture people have asked for a name - which has in it an intrinsic power - interesting how the Lord simply identifies himself as 'I am'.

Well Bob, a bit off topic but your opening starts a person thinking...
God bless

I agree with 2404.

I read this thread and couldn’t for the life of me think about a response.

But after reading a verse on my bible app this morning one came through.

James 3:16 kjv

For Where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work.

Well I don’t know if anyone has ever watched “ stop the pigeon” staring dastardly and mutly but his face says it all. Trying to get something by evil means( in my case strife!) and I was always wondering why I couldn’t succeed lol

83A1A918-7E5A-458D-9FFA-F4C11F9704B3.jpeg

I told God that I couldn't get my head around 'the creation thing' (I'd never even read Genesis!) so I made a deal with Him.

I would just focus on Jesus, and the N/T as that's all He wanted from me anyway. Later, I woke with a thought "if you do not believe Moses and the prophets, you will not believe in Me" . I went on to read Genesis 1, and just knew it was true.

I am headed off to work, so I cannot give this the thought it deserves. I will say one thing: I began my walk with God only a few years ago, in my late 50s. I am still amazed at how often God has taken care of me long before I was a believer. It has been a good life and I have no right to ever be angry at a God who watched over me, when I did not believe He was who He is. I still have moments when I struggle, but it is comforting to know I am not alone.

Rtm

I agree with 2404.

I read this thread and couldn’t for the life of me think about a response.

But after reading a verse on my bible app this morning one came through.

James 3:16 kjv

For Where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work.

Well I don’t know if anyone has ever watched “ stop the pigeon” staring dastardly and mutly but his face says it all. Trying to get something by evil means( in my case strife!) and I was always wondering why I couldn’t succeed lol

View attachment 7717

Agreed, envy is allot bigger and deeper than we realize.
Scripturally we are to put other first but in this day and age it is all about me. If we would put on the Word there would be no wars, no fussing or strife - as you said.

Back