The sin of overeating ( yum yum)

Via dolarossa

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Secretary
So I have this sin...and only recently realised it...
And I have also realised how seeming unimportant it is in relation to other sins.
I realise I have completely lost touch with food and balancing, not what I eat but how! I even eat “ healthy” according to standard dietary advice. I eat 3 or rr 4 meals a day and healthy snacks in between and the occasional treats.
However,
I eat when I’m not even hungry. I eat when I’m bored, I eat because its a hobby...just to see how things taste, and more so, because it’s the easiest way to manage my mind/ emotions. I find I am irritable if I go more than an hour without stuffing my face🙁
And am not overweight but I really do idolise food and even reading @Lanolins food and drink thread has me reaching for food unawares.

and, what’s worse I don’t think I’m poor or in poverty ( Hear, my son, and be wise, and direct your heart in the way. Be not among drunkards or among gluttonous eaters of meat, for the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty, and slumber will clothe them with rags. (Prov. 23:19-21) but I do recognise the slumber part.

Our culture is obsessed with food, and here’s me thinking” ah, it’s only a minor thing, not really that big of a problem. No one is getting hurt by it....
So I confessed andI am being helped into a better relationship with food by God.

Anyway, what I am wanting to really say is this:

Even the things you don’t really consider a problem, things we are just used to, and take for granted, God can and will let us know if He thinks we are straying from His Will and gently guide us through His Son to a better place.

Amen.

Last edited:
oh dear
Well. I am not sure what to say to emotional eaters. You could become a chef/cook and make food for others who don't have any, or find a hobby that is not anything to do with eating, and will satisfy you and provide comfort instead.

If you are not hungry then I am not sure why you need to eat. I mean I read books, and they do comfort me but I do like to read new ones not the same ones over and over again. I don't read to give my eyes exercise and I wouldn't say its a hobby as its also part of my job. I don't hoard books on balance I give away more than I buy. So maybe you need that balance? Or find what is the thing that is causing you pain, then deal with it and maybe you see that your eating habits change.

What is the food that you just 'reach for'? I mean, think about where it comes from, who cooked it and prepared it. It doesn't just appear magically. Do you give thanks when you eat? Or at least take a moment, I know some people won't eat a bite until they say grace. Is fasting easy for you? Ever done one?

Hello Via;

In Ecclesiastes 7:9, Go, eat your bread with joy, and drink your wine with a merry heart, for God has already approved what you do.

So when we enjoy food, all food does not mean overeating, nor is it a sin. We all over eat and this is normal of humans but God does not call this sin. If you find yourself eating constantly for any reason, this could be an eating disorder but once again, God does not call an eating disorder sin.

I was just sharing with my 17 year old nephew that there was a time when I could eat a 22 oz steak, feel stuffed, but still devour it. I've learned to eat smaller portions whether it's a steak, soup, or salad, and the moment I feel "comfortably" full, I'll stop eating and save the rest as leftovers.

As Lanolin was sharing, in between eating there are other activities you can be doing to stimulate your well being until the next meal.

I'm scheduled for my next annual physical in August. If you see your doctor annually, bring up your eating habits and see what he/she may say.

I enjoyed reading your thread but at the same time am praying regarding your eating habits.

God bless you, Via, and your family.

Hi Via
My daughter has the same problem. She comfort eats. She is also on medication, not to give her an appetite but it is a side effect.
I sometimes forget to eat when I am very busy. Then I wonder why I feel dizzy. Food is definitely a comforter. It is a habit like anything else we do.
Good on you for fighting it. Don't overdo it though.

I love what you said about things we don't think are important. Niw you got me thinking now.
xxx

Some people go for smoking for comfort, as they want to put something in their mouth, but not actually eat. Maybe just stick to chewing gum?
After it loses it's flavour, you stick it to your bedpost. You won't have gained weight because you aren't eating anything, just chewing.
At least with chewing gum you won't ruin your fingernails or your pens/pencils.

Lanolin your so funny 😂

well since I have acknowledged this struggle things have been easier.
I suppose I can expect trials and also successes.
But my appetite has been decreased for now. I am not eating lots of snacks and I think the Spirit has kicked in

😊

Lanolin your so funny 😂

well since I have acknowledged this struggle things have been easier.
I suppose I can expect trials and also successes.
But my appetite has been decreased for now. I am not eating lots of snacks and I think the Spirit has kicked in

😊

Since I am fit, trim and at the exact weight I am supposed to be.....I am not really able to respond to this question.

Thats good.
I was out with a friend the other day, but was rather disappointed she had taken up vaping since I last saw her. She used to smoke but gave it up. I think she just needed something in her mouth.

I don't really know what to do, except I don't hang round her when she feels she needs to go off and vape. If she asks next time 'do you mind if I go have a vape' I might say YES ACTUALLY I DO MIND. Its rude, wait till you get home.

I also tell children, who bring in food and iceblocks into the library, no eating or drinking allowed in the library, go outside.

Or eat it in your eating time!

Is that wrong of me. I don't think so. I can't accomodate all chewing people all the time as if the library is one big restaurant or movie theatre. Cos it will be me that has to clean up the food crumbs. And another thing...if you are going to be rude and eat in front of people who don't have any food at least share your food with them.....

I also tell children, who bring in food and iceblocks into the library, no eating or drinking allowed in the library, go outside.

Or eat it in your eating time!

Is that wrong of me. I don't think so. I can't accomodate all chewing people all the time as if the library is one big restaurant or movie theatre. Cos it will be me that has to clean up the food crumbs. And another thing...if you are going to be rude and eat in front of people who don't have any food at least share your food with them.....
the bible says there is a time and a place for everything. your right, its not a restaurant. when I was a kid I I would have probably pulled my face if someone said to me to go somewhere else to eat, because I grew up in a liberal way that we were allowed to do whatever we pleased as long as we didn't actually hurt anyone. but since I was drawn to Christianity with all its rules and regulations, eating in the right place is right, it not only helps you connect with the food without distraction, but it is not very pleasant to see people shovelling food down their throats and making noises in public, especially in a library.

we need to honour God with our bodies and that means being aware of when we are hungry and full.

I think I see it more as guidelines that make things harmonious rather than as too many rules and restrictions.
I'm someone who likes order and knows YES its hard to follow at times, especially at first but having things done in a regular order or routine just helps everyone.

And then you have special times when you can indulge or have a feast or treat, and that makes it more of an occasion, and even more special then say if you had a treat every single day. (having a birthday every single day would not be beneficial, and possibly means you age so much faster than everyone else!)

For example, if I decided instead of going to meet the teachers for morning tea time and just had my morning tea by myself in the library while I was also working, I would lose out on that special time set aside to chat and eat and share.

Back