The Slain in the Spirit Mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with your OP Matt.

It is a no-brainer that if you submit to The Holy Spirit as a saved Christian, He will envelop you.
Wether you stand facing front or back, sitting, sleeping, standing on your head or are in a swimming pool getting baptised, the position and location IS irrelevant. God is a God of order though. There is a time and place for everything, so The Holy Spirit will not embarrass or create 'uncomfortable' situations for anyone or that would interrupt proceedings at a church meeting. Hence He would also respect a precedent set by the elders of a church like for example, everyone standing in an orderly line, waiting for someone to be there to catch them before He touches them.

OBVIOUSLY there are phonies. I LOL at how SO MANY Christians SO EASILY throw the baby out with the bath water. The truth is that all who hear of God's promises to His people in the bible, want to be a Christian. So something like this (falling backwards) is a great opportunity for them to ''experience'' something tangible (or show to others that they are Christians because they fall / laugh and pray in the spirit) to their otherwise empty Christian walk. Likewise on the other end, there are those ''Christians'' that wouldnt know The presence of The Holy Spirit even if He were sitting on their head.

A true Christian will understand that The Holy Spirit is a gentlemen who does not force Himself on us and can make the presence of God very real if we just whisper for it. He is eagerly waiting for us to call on Him for anything! He must get bored with some of us :).

KingJ ''A true Christian will understand that The Holy Spirit is a ''gentlemen ''who does not force Himself on us and can make the presence of God very real if we just whisper for it. He is eagerly waiting for us to call on Him for anything! He must get bored with some of us ( Oh!! yes):). ''

We concure whole heartedly.

Tell that to the Calvinists. The U, I, and P doesn't leave much room for free-will.

...Maybe I shouldn't start that conversation though....

The "slain in the spirit" experience is an interesting one. At the same time that I don't see it preached anywhere in the Bible as a necessary Christian practice (or even a necessary Christian experience), I am familiar with the passages in the Bible about people falling to the ground face-first in awe and reverence to God. I don't see that as a bad thing.

However, the potential problem I see comes where people confuse religous emotional experiences as being a reasonable replacement to obedience. That is error.

There is a very interesting passage in Matthew 7. Jesus talks about people doing many good works, prophesying in His name, and so on. But Jesus goes on to call those people condemned, because, despite all of their positive religous experiences, they refused to obey His words.

If being "slain in the spirit" helps you to be a better Christian, then by all means, "get slain"! But please, I admonish everyone on this forum to avoid the snare of seeing experiences as replacements for obedience. If ever forced to choose, we must cling to the latter and skip the former.

As an usher for the marvelously gifted Kathryn Kuhlman in the '70s, I experienced the movement of the Spirit unlike anything else that's taken place in my Christian walk to this point. The entire auditorium in Jacksonville where she spoke numerous times was filled with folks who were in need of all kinds, many of whom I helped to carry or roll in.

Words can't describe the awe and wonder that such an atmosphere inspired. The peaceful hand of God moved, touching people throughout the assembly. It was truly beyond one's comprehension, and definitely not of this world. How remarkably comforting it was!

While she talked to the audience, Ms. Kuhlman would often be a bit dramatic as she exhalted the Lord and thanked Him for His love and compassion. By the mere wave of her arm, I witnessed ten rows of people be "slain" as they sat in the choir loft. No rehearsal was set up for such an "accident" of the Spirit, no preparation was made, nothing was preplanned. And yet, it was like everyone of them fell asleep at once, in the blink of an eye.

There was no barking or laughing like we hear about today, which I consider to be outside of God's will. Instead, there was profound love, peace and compassion, all of which was done decently and in order.

I can't believe that almost every second of my time here seems to be wrapped up in re-explaining this same point, and people wonder why I don't post very often anymore. So let me say this once again very clearly. This site has a Holy Spirit Baptism and Living section. Some agree with this doctrine, others do not. However, for the purposes of this site, it is considered a valid Christian belief. Stop attacking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back