the star of Bethlehem.

Via dolarossa

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Secretary
I love outer space and anything about heavenly bodies.
one of the things I like about the bible is how it explains creation in genesis.
so naturally, when I read numbers 24;17

17 sI see him, but not now;
I behold him, but not near:
ta star shall come out of Jacob,
and ua scepter shall rise out of Israel;
it shall vcrush the forehead3 of Moab
and break down all the sons of Sheth.

its a prophecy. but I was wondering if this is about a real star in the heavens( perhaps the star of Bethlehem ofr something else. it strikes me as a real phenomenon, as the heavens were very different than today, as our ancient myth suggest. but if a star came out of Jacob, then I am confused...

I would offer.

Stars as metaphors are used in various parables. They are used to show the reflected glory of the unseen glorious faith . Believers as sons of God do reflect it when preaching the gospel. Jesus who did the will of the father is called the bright and morning star as his first born. He alone is given that title which will be fulfilled as one source of light .

Revelation 22:16I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star

Lucifer as a false light a morning star would attempt to deceive the world that literal stars and there arrangement is another form of prophecy. Star Gazers .There was a book written called the “Gospel in the Stars “ In that way we do not serve metaphors as if they were not

Deuteronomy 4:19 King James Version (KJV) And lest thou lift up thine eyes unto heaven, and when thou seest the sun, and the moon, and the stars, even all the host of heaven, shouldest be driven to worship them, and serve them, which the Lord thy God hath divided unto all nations under the whole heaven.

Isaiah 47:13 Thou art wearied in the multitude of thy counsels. Let now the astrologers, the stargazers, the monthly prognosticators, stand up, and save thee from these things that shall come upon thee.

In the new order the light of God blory becomes to product of two working togrther . One glory one light one work of faith or labor of God love. I would think we should be care not to go above all things writen in the law and the prophets.

There are billions of stars it is easy to use one imagination and start connect dots and naming them after animals or people as gods .

Revelation 21: 22-25 And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it. And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof. And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it.And the gates of it shall not be shut at all by day: for there shall be no night there.

To emphasize again the lamb is the light. . no longer as reflection like the Moon .

one of the things I like about the bible is how it explains creation in genesis.

its a prophecy. but I was wondering if this is about a real star in the heavens( perhaps the star of Bethlehem ofr something else. it strikes me as a real phenomenon, as the heavens were very different than today, as our ancient myth suggest. but if a star came out of Jacob, then I am confused...

Me too. I love "outer space".......that is the back porch where my dog and I have to go when I do something stupid and my wife sends there.

Now....../remember, the old Major is NOT the authority here. However may I post to you an answer to what you posted so as to ease your confusion???????

CONTEXT is always the key to understanding s having said that notice Numbers 24:14............

“…And now, behold, I go unto my people: come therefore, and I will advertise thee what this people shall do to thy people in the latter days

Note that term “latter days”, which always means in in the distant future and/or end times. We are in the LATTER TIME but not yet the LAST TIME.
He then state the following prophecy about Jesus Christ:

I shall see him, but not now: I shall behold him, but not nigh: there shall come a Star out of Jacob, and a Sceptre shall rise out of Israel, and shall smite the corners of Moab (shatter the forehead), and destroy all the children (sons of tumult) of Sheth.

IMHO of which you are free to reject and use your own thoughts, is that This is talking about the the coming of Jesus Christ, the “Star of Jacob”, and also seems to indicate the time after His resurrection when Christ returns to pass judgement on the nations, and specifically punish the nations that did not help Israel.

This verse is also associated with Genesis 49:10-1, also a prophecy of Christ, in which it talks about the sceptre (the authority to rule)

Hope this helps you!!!!!!

I would offer. . .The star of Bethlehem the city of bread is not defined . Out of the east is a common metaphor that points to Christ. He built a garden set it aside a holy to represent the gospel "out of the east."

Matthew 24:27 For as the lightning cometh "out of the east", and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

It was the light unto their path whether it was a literal star or the Holy Spirit drawing them it is not the focus.

Stars used as metaphors in parables are a reflection of Glory shown with the Son of man, Jesus he reflected the glory of the Father that worked in him.

Like the Sun and Moon the temporal seen. We are to mix it as a metaphor with the unseen eternal (faith) in order to hear the gospel understanding.

Genesis 22:17 That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies;

Jesus exclusively is the “Bright and morning star”. Unlike other stars as sons of God is used in that parble to represent the born again believers .They are not part of the source. As the bright or glory .

Revelation 22:16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

A picture of the bride of Christ (Christians) found in a parable in Revelation 12. . The sun and moon under her. . stars 12 , to represent the authority of God it signifies all the born again believers.

Revelation 12:1-2 King James Version (KJV)And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars: And she being with child cried, travailing in birth, and pained to be delivered.

Back