The strong hate toward romantic movies and novels in my opinion is utterly ridiculous

Note: not religious-related, just a little something off topic for me to talk about.

I remember seeing the movie Titanic (a romantic drama feature) in theaters and I’ve had the unfortunate experience of having two teenage girls behind me laugh out loud throughout the whole film and complaining over how awful it was. I politely told them to be quiet but sadly they wouldn’t stop. I find it a complete shame how this vocal minority gets away with stuff like this even though others would call them out for disruptive behavior. And then I wonder to myself “why do people even bother to buy tickets to watch movies they hate in the first place?”. That logic seriously confuses me. If I saw a movie I didn’t like, I didn’t bother to watch it. Why would I want to waste my money on something I’m not going to get enjoyment out of?

Similar to my experience, there has been a strong hatedom toward romantic related genres, particularly dubbed as “chick flicks”. So many people would have various “reasons” why they hate it with a passion, here are the following I usually hear:

1. “They’re so boring and predictable. Hollywood had seriously ran out of ideas, no wonder today’s films are so bad and cliche!”

2. “They’re way too unrealistic and lacking of sexual diversity! Why would I want to be in a relationship like that, that is IF I get into a relationship? Also, I’m single so I do not find anything relatable.”

3. “They’re entirely made up of poor quality and it shows! The people and corporates behind these chick flicks only care about cash grabs, brainwashing and attracting stupid teens and young women into seeing their propaganda!”

4. “They’re so painfully stereotypical and apologetic over abuse in so-called romantic relationships! Why is it that the men are a-holes and the women are played out to be brain dead?! And also, they’re way too girly for me!”

Ok, the last part are usually quoted by men who claim to be one of the guys, but you get the point. The same accusations can be said over romantic novels such as Twilight and Fifty Shades of Grey. I’m personally not really into romance basically because I was discouraged from chasing and talking to boys my age or older in a romantic fashion and watching these movies remind me of how I was raised. But I managed to brace myself and watch Titanic in the theater because I was interested in the topic of the Titanic itself. However, while watching the movie, I realized that I hardly was bored in the slightest, even though I knew what was going to happen, and I found the characters relatable and sympathetic. I was even sad when I saw the scene where the boy dies in freezing waters.

As much as I enjoyed the film, I still had the unfortunate experience of mindless teens babbling over how bad the movie was and laughing their heads off. I never really understood why romantic films were so widely hated (I’m talking about in a reasonable manner), and when they express their beliefs on why they’re awful, I can’t help but roll my eyes and think “wow, that was pathetic”. I understand that it’s just their opinions but I still do not understand the double standard between the laughing stock of chick flicks and hype for action films such as Avengers, Batman, Mission Impossible, Spider Man, etc. I never really understood why films targeting men were almost never laughed at (the older films is what I’m basically talking about, since the newer ones actually did receive quite a lot of criticism and hate, sometimes even unfair).

Note: not religious-related, just a little something off topic for me to talk about.

I remember seeing the movie Titanic (a romantic drama feature) in theaters and I’ve had the unfortunate experience of having two teenage girls behind me laugh out loud throughout the whole film and complaining over how awful it was. I politely told them to be quiet but sadly they wouldn’t stop. I find it a complete shame how this vocal minority gets away with stuff like this even though others would call them out for disruptive behavior. And then I wonder to myself “why do people even bother to buy tickets to watch movies they hate in the first place?”. That logic seriously confuses me. If I saw a movie I didn’t like, I didn’t bother to watch it. Why would I want to waste my money on something I’m not going to get enjoyment out of?

Similar to my experience, there has been a strong hatedom toward romantic related genres, particularly dubbed as “chick flicks”. So many people would have various “reasons” why they hate it with a passion, here are the following I usually hear:

1. “They’re so boring and predictable. Hollywood had seriously ran out of ideas, no wonder today’s films are so bad and cliche!”

2. “They’re way too unrealistic and lacking of sexual diversity! Why would I want to be in a relationship like that, that is IF I get into a relationship? Also, I’m single so I do not find anything relatable.”

3. “They’re entirely made up of poor quality and it shows! The people and corporates behind these chick flicks only care about cash grabs, brainwashing and attracting stupid teens and young women into seeing their propaganda!”

4. “They’re so painfully stereotypical and apologetic over abuse in so-called romantic relationships! Why is it that the men are a-holes and the women are played out to be brain dead?! And also, they’re way too girly for me!”

Ok, the last part are usually quoted by men who claim to be one of the guys, but you get the point. The same accusations can be said over romantic novels such as Twilight and Fifty Shades of Grey. I’m personally not really into romance basically because I was discouraged from chasing and talking to boys my age or older in a romantic fashion and watching these movies remind me of how I was raised. But I managed to brace myself and watch Titanic in the theater because I was interested in the topic of the Titanic itself. However, while watching the movie, I realized that I hardly was bored in the slightest, even though I knew what was going to happen, and I found the characters relatable and sympathetic. I was even sad when I saw the scene where the boy dies in freezing waters.

As much as I enjoyed the film, I still had the unfortunate experience of mindless teens babbling over how bad the movie was and laughing their heads off. I never really understood why romantic films were so widely hated (I’m talking about in a reasonable manner), and when they express their beliefs on why they’re awful, I can’t help but roll my eyes and think “wow, that was pathetic”. I understand that it’s just their opinions but I still do not understand the double standard between the laughing stock of chick flicks and hype for action films such as Avengers, Batman, Mission Impossible, Spider Man, etc. I never really understood why films targeting men were almost never laughed at (the older films is what I’m basically talking about, since the newer ones actually did receive quite a lot of criticism and hate, sometimes even unfair).
PTS perhaps there be a good reason why romantic movies and novels are not valued as much as they used to be, Simply because sex has become purely a urge of sexual satisfaction for many and no longer even based upon romance and true love. Even with marriage for example for many it be merely a act of trading your old car in for a new one every number of years with many. . Some don’t even wait that long. I do remember reading about a hotel owner some years ago who decided to replace the Gideon's bible with 50 shades of grey in all his hotels. Shows you just how far the world be turning its back upon the truth of love. Our world continues in its march towards being more about lovers of pleasure than lovers of God.

I'm a guy and I liked the Titanic. For the most part, however, I do not like "chick flicks." Today is a good example. I am in my home office working. My wife is in the living room watching one of those "chick flicks" and apparently on the phone talking to one of her friends. Do not know the name of the movie but did walk by and saw that these were "B Class" actors. What I do not like about these movies is that they are basically a window into realistic life dramas. I have enough of my own drama and don't really see a need to involve my emptions in someone else's drama.

I am all into mindless entertainment. The other day I watched someone (Adam Savage) roll 250 yards of aluminum foil into a mid-side aluminum ball. It does not get more mindless than that.

Rtm

I'm a guy and I liked the Titanic. For the most part, however, I do not like "chick flicks." Today is a good example. I am in my home office working. My wife is in the living room watching one of those "chick flicks" and apparently on the phone talking to one of her friends. Do not know the name of the movie but did walk by and saw that these were "B Class" actors. What I do not like about these movies is that they are basically a window into realistic life dramas. I have enough of my own drama and don't really see a need to involve my emptions in someone else's drama.

I am all into mindless entertainment. The other day I watched someone (Adam Savage) roll 250 yards of aluminum foil into a mid-side aluminum ball. It does not get more mindless than that.

Rtm
Amazing he spend over 2 hour hammering and moulding all that aluminium wrap into ball and than spend more time with varnish to make ball smooth and shiny.. And than decide he would like to chop in half to see what’s inside. Crazy . Than he realise he not able to cut the ball. And than has to inform everyone of the anticlimax of his failure to do so. How anticlimactic. At least we now know what man do when he waddles off to the shed with all the tinkering with his toys and noise that he likes to make there. Absolutely Nothing : ) maybe it’s a place where he is able to unwind and think.

Amazing he spend over 2 hour hammering and moulding all that aluminium wrap into ball and than spend more time with varnish to make ball smooth and shiny.. And than decide he would like to chop in half to see what’s inside. Crazy . Than he realise he not able to cut the ball. And than has to inform everyone of the anticlimax of his failure to do so. How anticlimactic. At least we now know what man do when he waddles off to the shed with all the tinkering with his toys and noise that he likes to make there. Absolutely Nothing : ) maybe it’s a place where he is able to unwind and think.
The good news is that he actually sent the ball to a company that did cut it in half, and we now know the answer.

Tinkering is one of man's greatest adventures.

Rtm
I think the main reason you don’t like drama is because of the stereotype of drama being associated with women to the point of being a derogatory element. I don’t blame you, it gets old.

The good news is that he actually sent the ball to a company that did cut it in half, and we now know the answer.

Tinkering is one of man's greatest adventures.

Than the mystery of the problematic Ball solved and fixed. RTM do continue to tinker on : ) 7261573A-D49E-454B-91B0-E2D643C11105.jpeg

I’m confused. What does that have to do with the original topic?
It kind of branched off from the Titanic to "chick flicks," to what men and women like to watch, to the aluminum ball.

It kind of expanded the original topic: the "hate toward romantic movies and novels," to an understang that it really isn't "hate" but rather preference.

People shouldn't be chatting in movie theatres and disturbing others. Get the ushers to kick them out.

I've never had that experience but if I did I would have moved seats if I could or got a refund and seen it another time.

I don't really watch a lot of romance, though am not sure why peeps would watch something they don't like, or why I would pay too much attention to what other people think. Romance is its own genre and it has its own tropes -- it has to conform to something like a happy ending and a kiss, just like action movies have to have at least one gunfight or chase scene! lol

I prefer musicals where someone bursts into song and dance in the middle of the story just because they can.
If they stop traffic even better. Has anyone seen Lala land where they are stuck in LA traffic and everyone just starts singing and dancing since they can't move their cars.

Remember when they had dvds with extra commentary? I don't know why they did that. Why would someone watch a movie with someone else talking all the way through it commenting on it I don't know. But it was a thing.

I just would put it down to 'those mindless teens are either doing film studies and forced to watch this movie for their coursework' or they are just being rude. The time to be a film critic is AFTER you have seen the movie and written your scathing 1 star review on IMDB.

People shouldn't be chatting in movie theatres and disturbing others. Get the ushers to kick them out.

I've never had that experience but if I did I would have moved seats if I could or got a refund and seen it another time.

I don't really watch a lot of romance, though am not sure why peeps would watch something they don't like, or why I would pay too much attention to what other people think. Romance is its own genre and it has its own tropes -- it has to conform to something like a happy ending and a kiss, just like action movies have to have at least one gunfight or chase scene! lol
I don't think anyone goes to a movie they don't like. I think they go and then decide they don't like it. I have only walked out of a theater once. We went to see a movie called "The General's Daughter" with John Travolta. The story was fictitious; however, the agency was the agency I retired from. It was so technically incorrect, that I just could not deal with it and left.

Rtm

As much as I enjoyed the film, I still had the unfortunate experience of mindless teens babbling over how bad the movie was and laughing their heads off. I never really understood why romantic films were so widely hated (I’m talking about in a reasonable manner), and when they express their beliefs on why they’re awful, I can’t help but roll my eyes and think “wow, that was pathetic”. I understand that it’s just their opinions but I still do not understand the double standard between the laughing stock of chick flicks and hype for action films such as Avengers, Batman, Mission Impossible, Spider Man, etc. I never really understood why films targeting men were almost never laughed at (the older films is what I’m basically talking about, since the newer ones actually so boring and predictable. Hollywood had seriously ran out of ideas, no wonder today’s films are so bad and cliche!”

The word hate is too strong a word in this situation.  Dislike is the better word. After all, the interpretation of art will always be an individual matter determined by personal tastes. Hate never applies to personal taste.

The word hate is too strong a word in this situation.  Dislike is the better word. After all, the interpretation of art will always be an individual matter determined by personal tastes. Hate never applies to personal taste.
I agree. I don't believe I have ever hated anything. There is a great deal I do not like, but not to the extent of hating it.

I'm watching one now that I know I am not going to like. The special effects are bad and the acting sucks something serious. However, it is a zombie movie I have never seen before, so I will suck it up. Looks like they are steaking ideas from The Walking Dead. One has a bat just like Negan and one has a sword like Michonne.

I like chick-flicks. In my house we watch many Hallmark, Lifetime and GAC movies. They are fun because

1) They are predictable
2) There is always a happy ending
3) The actors are attractive
4) The settings are usually quaint
5) It's a nice escape from the stress of real life

There is nothing wrong with enjoying life and if watching a movie or TV program gives you pleasure then go for it.

I agree. I don't believe I have ever hated anything. There is a great deal I do not like, but not to the extent of hating it.

I'm watching one now that I know I am not going to like. The special effects are bad and the acting sucks something serious. However, it is a zombie movie I have never seen before, so I will suck it up. Looks like they are steaking ideas from The Walking Dead. One has a bat just like Negan and one has a sword like Michonne.
Ok, I did not make it to the end. It was really really bad. One guy had a gun that apparently never runs out of bullets. That is always a turn-off for me.

Here is the part that I get confused with. The first zombie movie was in 1968. Since then, there have been probably at least 50 of them. Why do people not automatically know they have to shoot them in the head?

Ok, I did not make it to the end. It was really really bad. One guy had a gun that apparently never runs out of bullets. That is always a turn-off for me.

Here is the part that I get confused with. The first zombie movie was in 1968. Since then, there have been probably at least 50 of them. Why do people not automatically know they have to shoot them in the head?
Ok, I take it back. There have been 272 Zombie movies. Just saw the list.

Ok, I take it back. There have been 272 Zombie movies. Just saw the list.
What of Frankenstein. What be the count there? I always found most of the Frankenstein movies both touching and meaningful. The book even deeper with both Dr Frankenstein and the Fiend forsaken by the world both with their own personal torments that only a Creator could bring peace and closure to.5F9C20DB-F1B3-4241-B8C3-5EC546E0B203.jpeg099AE599-CA1D-459A-9F3E-C7BE865280FC.jpeg

Last edited:
Back