The Sum of All Prayers

The Sum of All Prayers

I read this in my Prayer Devotional Bible and wanted to share it please.

Thomas Aquinas believed that everything we need to know is found in three documents: The Apostles' Creed tells us what to believe: the Ten Commandments tells us what to do and the Lord's Prayer tells us how to pray.

The Lord's Prayer is like a compass. It points to our true north. God's heart, and when we know that, we can discern east, west and south. in other words, when we are clear on God's priorities, all other concerns fall into their proper place. The Lord's Prayer purifies our longings and desires, and gives them proper expression. Every area of our lives can be hung on the pegs of its petitions.

That God's name be hallowed, revered, held in awe and adored. The beginning of wisdom, after all, is the fear of the Lord (see Psalm 111:10; Proverbs 1:7).

That God's kingdom come, that he sovereignly bring about the glorious day when the earth will be as full of the knowledge of him as the waters that cover the sea ((Isaiah 11:9), that every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord see (Philippians 2:10-11).

That God's will be our food and drink as we work and wait for his kingdom (see John 4:34).

That God gave us what we need in the meantime: our bread, our neccesities, whatever we need to persevere (see Mathhew 6:25-34).

That God forgive our sins. Isn't it lovely that jesus teaches us to wait before we talk to God about our sins--to speak first to God about God before we speak to God about us?

That we be protected from every evil as we struggle in this spiritual warfare for God's rule on earth (see Ephesians 6:10-12).

Pray these petitions frequently. the variations are endless.

yes!!
very wise words!

The Lord's Prayer is like a compass. It points to our true north. God's heart, and when we know that, we can discern east, west and south. in other words, when we are clear on God's priorities, all other concerns fall into their proper place. The Lord's Prayer purifies our longings and desires, and gives them proper expression. Every area of our lives can be hung on the pegs of its petitions.

amen. how can we know where we are going is right, if it is not the will of our FATHER? Our will is only good to lead us astray, but through HIS will, we will always be lead straight and never waivered.

That God's name be hallowed, revered, held in awe and adored. The beginning of wisdom, after all, is the fear of the Lord (see Psalm 111:10; Proverbs 1:7).

That God forgive our sins. Isn't it lovely that jesus teaches us to wait before we talk to God about our sins--to speak first to God about God before we speak to God about us?

exactly!
we should never be so busy or hurried or preoccupied with our needs, that we do not first exclaim the Holy and righteous power of our GOD! He should be glorified for HIS name and all that HE is. Never can we glorify HIM enough for all He IS AND WAS, and I praise HIM, every chance we have we should praise HIM!

Thank you our awesome GOD! How I love the LORD!!

great post! may we always be reminded to give glory to GOD!

williams1.jpg

Back