The sword of the spirit

"The sword of the spirit".

Hebrews 4:12 and Ephesians 6:17 contain instructions to use the sword of the spirit... That the Spirit of God is powerful being capable of mounting formidable offensive action (Acts 5, Rev 19). The Spirit of The Lord wants to use us in action that goes out against the world and the powers of evil.

So often we are lead to believe that as Christians - God wants us to live a life of pacifism - always cowering before civil authorities, The Media, and ultimately evil. That we are to do all in our power to avoid accusations and scandals being hurled at us by the world.

And I have heard people talking about this long defeat.... Like we are to try to stand firm and simply hold the line for eons into the future.... And the enemy gets to attack us at will forever. We lose a little ground here and there - but we aren't beaten..... NO!!!! That is wrong!!! And it's not biblical.

Look at what Jesus himself taught. Look at what he DID. He taught us that they would hate us. They would accuse us. They would scandalize us. But that we are to persevere we are to keep at it. We are to fight and The Gospel will win!

Look at how Jesus and the Apostles were hated, scorned, labeled apostates, idolaters, and pagans... Yet they still taught in their synagogues. He still taught in the temple. He went out and taught in Samaria and Gentile country...

Don't give up the fight.

The Sword of The Spirit is to be used both defending and offensively.
Another words it is to be used as a direct attack on the enemy and his kingdom as it is to be used against an attack of the enemy.

However if one is not properly dressed in the Full Armor of God.....the sword becomes useless.

I agree great thread!!
Blessings
FCJ

The primary purpose of a sword is for attack.. Even in a "defensive situation" - the sword is used for attack. We need to remember that...

For example - look at the Muslim immigrant situation in Europe. 100 years ago - this would have been dealt with through intensive Christian outreach.... Outreach INTO those ghettos and closed communities - to convert every muslim to Christianity and then to assimilate them into the culture of the nation at large.

Now.... The nations themselves are in crisis... Because they have blocked Christians from doing this outreach - yet the civil government has no provision for how to deal with a Religion full of people willing to die for their faith.. Yet - They have blocked the very people IN THEIR OWN NATION who are willing to die for their own Christian faith so that these Muslims might hear the Gospel of Christ....

The Sword of The Spirit is to be used both defending and offensively.
Another words it is to be used as a direct attack on the enemy and his kingdom as it is to be used against an attack of the enemy.

However if one is not properly dressed in the Full Armor of God.....the sword becomes useless.

I agree great thread!!
Blessings
FCJ

I think that the Word (Sword of the spirit) is also used preventatively. Meaning while we speak the Word in faith over ourselves (like say ps 91...) we remain protected from God only knows what :)

Back