The Temptations of Christ

I have thought a lot about the “temptations of Christ in the wilderness” (Matthew 4:1-11, Mark 1:12-13, Luke 4:1-13). My best conclusion I have come to yet (though I very open to more perspectives) is that Satan ATTEMPTED to tempt Christ, but Christ was not actually tempted. My reasoning behind this is the ability to sin in one’s heart but not actually carry through with the act. It appears if one has been tempted they have sinned in their heart. I do not think Christ hesitated a moment when he rebuked each of Satan’s attempts to tempt Him. This also brings me to the “prayer in the garden” just before He was arrested and placed on trial (Matthew 26:39-42, Mark 14:35-26, Luke 22:41-44). Jesus did ask if there was another way, but asked if there was another way only according to God’s will. I understand this may be a foreign way of reasoning, I just thought I would share my insight on the matter. This is a topic I find is not discussed very often.

Matthew 5:21-22
21 “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder, and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.’ 22 But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, ‘Raca!’ shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be in danger of hell fire.

Matthew 5:27-28
27 “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ 28 But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

1 John 3:14-15
14 We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love his brother abides in death. 15 Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.

But it was absolutely necessary for Jesus to experience temptation in order to overcome it.
Just as it was necessary for him to experience birth and death. This was the humiliation of Christ.
Without it there could be no atonement.

i am sorry brother but your reasoning does not agree with Scripture, for the Bible says that Jesus was "tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin." (Heb. 4:15 NASB)

the word "tempt" means "to provoke to do wrong by promise of pleasure or gain"
so when I provoke you to do something wrong, I am already tempting you, whether you even think of giving in or not. when you give in (even if it's just by thoughts), you sin. if not, then not.

Satan was not attempting to tempt Jesus, he was attempting to make Jesus sin.

God bless bro

Thank you Platinum and Ride4theson. I believe I may have just been over thinking the topic. It does now make sense how someone can be tempted but have no desire for the temptation. I think I was going with an incorrectly preconceived notion that to be tempted that one must desire what is being "offered".

*I am now in the process of unwrapping my brain from my previous “logic”. It has been throwing me for some loops! :D

i am sorry brother but your reasoning does not agree with Scripture, for the Bible says that Jesus was "tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin." (Heb. 4:15 NASB)

the word "tempt" means "to provoke to do wrong by promise of pleasure or gain"
so when I provoke you to do something wrong, I am already tempting you, whether you even think of giving in or not. when you give in (even if it's just by thoughts), you sin. if not, then not.

Satan was not attempting to tempt Jesus, he was attempting to make Jesus sin.

God bless bro

I believe your right Platinum. satan tempted Jesus but satan was attempting to temp Jesus. I believe Jesus was never actually tempted. Jesus was without sin.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Thank you Platinum and Ride4theson. I believe I may have just been over thinking the topic. It does now make sense how someone can be tempted but have no desire for the temptation. I think I was going with an incorrectly preconceived notion that to be tempted that one must desire what is being "offered".

*I am now in the process of unwrapping my brain from my previous “logic”. It has been throwing me for some loops! :D

I do believe in my heart that our Lord loves a teachable spirit. You friend have one. Praise God!!!!!

I believe your interpretation of temptation is incorrect. To be tempted is not to yield to a test but to be tested. Jesus was tempted in every way yet without sin. He was presented with every possible thing that could make one stumble and yet resisted each one. That is not to be construed as giving in to temptation.

Heb 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

From the Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible:
G3985
πειράζω
peirazō
pi-rad'-zo
From G3984; to test (objectively), that is, endeavor, scrutinize, entice, discipline: - assay, examine, go about, prove, tempt (-er), try.

Just so I can get this straight. When I found the cigarettes that Satan so handily put in my closet next to my shoes, even though I was tempted but through them out and rebuked Satan, I still sinned?

I was so very proud of myself for doing that. I didn't ask forgiveness for being tempted. So I need to right?

Just so I can get this straight. When I found the cigarettes that Satan so handily put in my closet next to my shoes, even though I was tempted but through them out and rebuked Satan, I still sinned?

I was so very proud of myself for doing that. I didn't ask forgiveness for being tempted. So I need to right?

You resisted the temptation--you did not sin. being tempted is definetly NOT sin. Yielding to temptation is sin.

I feel also tha Jesus was tempted by the devil as we all are everyday, but that HE did not sin, not in heart, not in anyway, He was perfect and without sin.
I also think HE was tempted to show to us that temptation can be overcome, when we have endurence and faith, we travel on the straight path, not stopping for temptation, because it may lead us astray. Praise God!
Good post, made me think:)

Back