The Unforgivable Sin

Matthew 12:31 KJV
Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

What doth this verse mean? There hath been many speculations. What dost ye believe?

Once again, sorry for my bad King James English. This thread is very serious.

Basically, it says:
There have been many speculations as to what this verse means. What do you think?

The sole job of the Holy Spirit it to direct us to Jesus, convict us. So to disbelieve Him is to call Him a liar, and because one believes His message is a lie, they'll go to hell for denying Jesus. That's the unpardonable sin: doubt unto death. Other will say things, but if you break it all down, that's what it means. The Holy Spirit never speaks of Himself. Even in the story of Ruth and Boaz the helpful "Servant" isn't named... that's the Holy Spirit. To put it another way: He has no agenda of His own.

The sole job of the Holy Spirit it to direct us to Jesus, convict us. So to disbelieve Him is to call Him a liar, and because one believes His message is a lie, they'll go to hell for denying Jesus. That's the unpardonable sin: doubt unto death. Other will say things, but if you break it all down, that's what it means. The Holy Spirit never speaks of Himself. Even in the story of Ruth and Boaz the helpful "Servant" isn't named... that's the Holy Spirit. To put it another way: He has no agenda of His own.
So, the unforgivable sin is to reject Jesus/the Holy Spirit? If that is the case, I may have committed it (rejecting the Holy Spirit, that is). Or is it to call Him a liar? In that case, I am fine. It's very hard to hear the Holy Spirit speak and call Him a liar, in my opinion.

A Christian cannot commit it. Only those going to hell have committed it. The unpardonable sin is rejecting the message of Jesus Christ. You've accepted it, so you didn't commit it. Sure we don't always listen to the Lord as we should but this is about Jesus, not the Holy Spirit. You've already accepted the work of the Holy Spirit by accepting Christ! :D

A Christian cannot commit it. Only those going to hell have committed it. The unpardonable sin is rejecting the message of Jesus Christ. You've accepted it, so you didn't commit it. Sure we don't always listen to the Lord as we should but this is about Jesus, not the Holy Spirit. You've already accepted the work of the Holy Spirit by accepting Christ! :D
What about those who reject Jesus but come to Him later? Is that even possible?

There is an implication that the offense Jesus referred to was not speaking of a one time action, but at a consistant series of actions or choices.
There comes a point where God gives a person over to a hardened heart. I don't know what the final breaking point is there, but I trust God.

Back