The Way

Those that follow Jesus Christ are referred to as "Christians" today. This was not always the case, however. The Bible records another name that the first century church was referred as. In Acts 24:14 we read, "But this I confess to you, that after 'the way', which they call a sect, so worship I the God of the fathers, believing all things written in the law and in the prophets." Where did this term "the way" originate from? You may have guessed it, from Jesus himself (John 14:6).

What is the importance of knowing that the first century Christians were often referred to as "the way"? Today the term 'Christians' can mean many different things. There are many different denominations behind the term "Christian". The term "The Way" gives a much more clear and direct picture of how the first century disciples lived.

The obvious 'tell-tell' sign of someone being a follower of "The Way", was the WAY they lived their life. This is where the importance of this name comes to affect. The people knew they were followers of "The Way" because they followed the founder of "The Way", Jesus. In the same way a Jew is a Jew because he follows the customs of Jewish laws. A follower of "The Way" was known because they followed Jesus' way.

How simple yet profound this revelation is! All those that want to be a follower of 'The Way' must subscribe to the teachings of the founder (Jesus).

The point of this article is to point people to Jesus and His teachings. Those teachings that you can find in the four gospels. The same teachings that will judge us on the last day (John 12:48). These teachings separate a true believer of "The Way" from the imposters. You will know a good tree by it's fruit; therefore brothers and sisters, let us start (and continue) following Jesus' Way.

In peace

Nicely worded. I once taught ancient and medieval history courses in a university setting. I did point out that the first believers in and around were called "Followers of the Way." and the name Christian for "Followers of the Way" was first used in Antioch. But, basically, to this day those of us who follow Jesus are truly followers of His Way--the Way of Truth, Love, and Life in Christ.

Nicely worded. I once taught ancient and medieval history courses in a university setting. I did point out that the first believers in and around were called "Followers of the Way." and the name Christian for "Followers of the Way" was first used in Antioch. But, basically, to this day those of us who follow Jesus are truly followers of His Way--the Way of Truth, Love, and Life in Christ.

Hello ConsiderHisAwe, I enjoyed reading this thread, The Way, Acts 9 and 24. It caught my attention. Acts is a great study but noticed in my Christian community there hasn't been too much discussion regarding The Way.

The Way was a term used by the Judaics and teachers to define a cult during the time of early Christian conversion. We have come a long way since the early church.

Hello Sandpiper, God bless you! It's good to fellowship with you again and thank you for sharing. I have a question. When you taught ancient and medieval history, are you referring to the ANE, ancient near east with a "religious" or Biblical setting?

I'd like to read more into this topic since I have not had too many discussions.

God bless you,

Hello Sandpiper, God bless you! It's good to fellowship with you again and thank you for sharing. I have a question. When you taught ancient and medieval history, are you referring to the ANE, ancient near east with a "religious" or Biblical setting?

God bless you,
Hi bobinfaith, I didn't teach ancient and medieval history as one course. They were two different courses. Yes, although this was in a secular university I did include the Near East in one section as well. Mostly the Ancient History course I taught emphasized Egypt, Greece, and Rome. These were not biblical study classes but you can't teach ancient history without including the beginnings of Christianity. I have taught many biblical studies classes but that was in a church not at a secular university and most of the time I volunteered although I once was on a church staff. When I taught at the university I was an adjunct professor so was salaried. Medieval history was a whole other class and the one I liked the best because my class did some interesting projects.

Last edited:
Hello ConsiderHisAwe, I enjoyed reading this thread, The Way, Acts 9 and 24. It caught my attention. Acts is a great study but noticed in my Christian community there hasn't been too much discussion regarding The Way.

The Way was a term used by the Judaics and teachers to define a cult during the time of early Christian conversion. We have come a long way since the early church.

I'd like to read more into this topic since I have not had too many discussions.

God bless you,

It seems clear to me Bob that the change in leadership was a very positive action......and very welcomed!

Those that follow Jesus Christ are referred to as "Christians" today. This was not always the case, however. The Bible records another name that the first century church was referred as. In Acts 24:14 we read, "But this I confess to you, that after 'the way', which they call a sect, so worship I the God of the fathers, believing all things written in the law and in the prophets." Where did this term "the way" originate from? You may have guessed it, from Jesus himself (John 14:6).

What is the importance of knowing that the first century Christians were often referred to as "the way"? Today the term 'Christians' can mean many different things. There are many different denominations behind the term "Christian". The term "The Way" gives a much more clear and direct picture of how the first century disciples lived.

The obvious 'tell-tell' sign of someone being a follower of "The Way", was the WAY they lived their life. This is where the importance of this name comes to affect. The people knew they were followers of "The Way" because they followed the founder of "The Way", Jesus. In the same way a Jew is a Jew because he follows the customs of Jewish laws. A follower of "The Way" was known because they followed Jesus' way.

How simple yet profound this revelation is! All those that want to be a follower of 'The Way' must subscribe to the teachings of the founder (Jesus).

The point of this article is to point people to Jesus and His teachings. Those teachings that you can find in the four gospels. The same teachings that will judge us on the last day (John 12:48). These teachings separate a true believer of "The Way" from the imposters. You will know a good tree by it's fruit; therefore brothers and sisters, let us start (and continue) following Jesus' Way.

In peace

Very true. I appreciate your thoughts.

Just think for a moment...…………...to the Jewish people, the Torah was God's revelation to them. It was to them THE WAY to live and be blessed by God.

Then came this Jew who said..........."I am the WAY, the truth and the life and if you want to see the Father, you must believe in ME".

WOW!

Can you imagine how the majority of them felt???

The book of Proverbs displays a constant refrain to the recipient (“my son”) to embrace the particular path of wisdom (the way) being passed down in order that he might experience full life. So, Torah, or God’s Word, comes to be viewed as the singular way in which Israel was to live in order to experience human flourishing. “So,” you might ask, “what does this have to do with the name which the early Christians chose for themselves?”

Jesus was putting himself on the same level as Torah. He asserted that only as one accessed God the Father through the person of Jesus could one expect to have a relationship with the Father. THAT WAS THE WAY!!!

He daringly maintained that our human flourishing could only be realized by coming in contact with him.

Hi bobinfaith, I didn't teach ancient and medieval history as one course. They were two different courses. Yes, although this was in a secular university I did include the Near East in one section as well. Mostly the Ancient History course I taught emphasized Egypt, Greece, and Rome. These were not biblical study classes but you can't teach ancient history without including the beginnings of Christianity. I have taught many biblical studies classes but that was in a church not at a secular university and most of the time I volunteered although I once was on a church staff. When I taught at the university I was an adjunct professor so was salaried. Medieval history was a whole other class and the one I liked the best because my class did some interesting projects.

Very blessed to see you again Sandpiper!

Back