The wind blows where it wishes

Where do you observe the Spirit of the Lord working in Ministry today? How are you aligning your own personal efforts towards what you perceive is God's current program?

John 3:8 The wind (Spirit) blows where it wishes. We hear the sound of it, but we know neither where it came from, nor where it goes....

Ecclesiastes 11:4-5 He who watches the wind will not sow, and he who looks at the clouds will not reap. Just as you do not know the path of the wind and how the bones are formed in the womb of the pregnant woman, so you do know know the activity of God who makes all things.

Matt 16:1-3 - the pharisees and saducees came seeking a sign.... But He replied to them, "When it is evening, you say, "It will be fair weather, for the sky is red.' and in the morning, 'There will be a storm today, for the skiy is red and threatening.' Do you know how to discern the appearance of the sky, but cannot discern the signs of the times?"

Notice how the bible highlights the importance of Discernment that God is doing things.... and working to be involved with GOD'S Actual, current plan...

We may not UNDERSTAND the what's and why's - but we SHOULD be able to discern that God is doing things... He who watches the wind will not sow.... AKA - being a Good Steward means actively DISCERNING and aligning your own work with God's current program... You don't sow seed in really windy weather - it blows the seed all over creation, and your end results are wrecked...

We ALSO have a very important decision to make... Do we attempt to discern where God's "Wind is Blowing" and align ourselves WITH God's current program - or do we battle and fight to maintain whatever we were doing before that may no longer be part of God's Program?...

God's plan for us has never changed. Our understanding of the will of God is a matter of discernment, I would say - as opposed to self interpetation.

It's true that God's plan of salvation for us has never changed...

BUT... This is talking rather about OUR ministry... Our service to God and to others...

Think of the Jews in 34 AD... Did they know that God's plan had changed and performing Levitical Sacrifices was no longer the way?

Think of Paul... An Ultra-Orthodox Pharisee Rabbi chosen by God to preach faith in God WITHOUT the Law to the Gentiles! To preach NOT taking up the yoke of the Law - which HAD been God's way for the previous 1,500 years....

Jesus HIMSELF said that "He who does not follow the law and teaches others likewise shall be called Least in the Kingdom of Heaven" (Matthew 5:19) ... and so what gentile name did Saul choose for himself? Paulos - which literally means "Small"... He even calls himself "Least" of the Apostles (1st Cor 15:9)... Instead of Paul fighting against being called "Least" - he apparently embraced it!

I have this theory that Paul embraced the title of "Least" because least in the Kingdom of Heaven is still IN the kingdom of heaven and not OUT of the kingdom of heaven!

I can agree with that rofl. I have often said I would be content to clean what amounts to heavenly latrine duty with a toothbrush to be not separated from God. And I agree that "signs" of God's will are often not discerned by even the best of believers. We have to finally understand that He is doing all the work and trust rock solidly in His word.

My ministry remains the same, be a full-time caregiver to my wife and to care for our daughter as well as take care of our home and continue the duties that being a caregiver and house husband/father entails.

Where do you observe the Spirit of the Lord working in Ministry today? How are you aligning your own personal efforts towards what you perceive is God's current program?

John 3:8 The wind (Spirit) blows where it wishes. We hear the sound of it, but we know neither where it came from, nor where it goes....

Ecclesiastes 11:4-5 He who watches the wind will not sow, and he who looks at the clouds will not reap. Just as you do not know the path of the wind and how the bones are formed in the womb of the pregnant woman, so you do know know the activity of God who makes all things.

Matt 16:1-3 - the pharisees and saducees came seeking a sign.... But He replied to them, "When it is evening, you say, "It will be fair weather, for the sky is red.' and in the morning, 'There will be a storm today, for the skiy is red and threatening.' Do you know how to discern the appearance of the sky, but cannot discern the signs of the times?"

Notice how the bible highlights the importance of Discernment that God is doing things.... and working to be involved with GOD'S Actual, current plan...

We may not UNDERSTAND the what's and why's - but we SHOULD be able to discern that God is doing things... He who watches the wind will not sow.... AKA - being a Good Steward means actively DISCERNING and aligning your own work with God's current program... You don't sow seed in really windy weather - it blows the seed all over creation, and your end results are wrecked...

We ALSO have a very important decision to make... Do we attempt to discern where God's "Wind is Blowing" and align ourselves WITH God's current program - or do we battle and fight to maintain whatever we were doing before that may no longer be part of God's Program?...

Why didn't you finish the quote of John 3:8?

Out of curiousity, I did an esword search on "wind" and there are 123 matches (113 verses) in the KJV. I think my favorites, right now are Job 8:2 and Job 15:2 because they make me smile.
Job_8:2 How long wilt thou speak these things? and how long shall the words of thy mouth be like a strong wind?
Job_15:2 Should a wise man utter vain knowledge, and fill his belly with the east wind?

Out of curiousity, I did an esword search on "wind" and there are 123 matches (113 verses) in the KJV. I think my favorites, right now are Job 8:2 and Job 15:2 because they make me smile.
Job_8:2 How long wilt thou speak these things? and how long shall the words of thy mouth be like a strong wind?
Job_15:2 Should a wise man utter vain knowledge, and fill his belly with the east wind?

I like the verses with 'wind' in Ecclesiastes.

Not to get off topic, but incidentally one of the reasons why they/people say 'God bless you' after a person sneezes is because a persons spirit is associated with wind and they thought when a person was sneezed their spirit could come out; saying 'GBU' was to help the sneezer from losing their spirit. Just saying.

All or which?
Ecc_1:6 The wind goeth toward the south, and turneth about unto the north; it whirleth about continually, and the wind returneth again according to his circuits.

Ecc_5:16 And this also is a sore evil, that in all points as he came, so shall he go: and what profit hath he that hath laboured for the wind?

Ecc_11:4 He that observeth the wind shall not sow; and he that regardeth the clouds shall not reap.

I have always liked
Hos_8:7 For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind: it hath no stalk: the bud shall yield no meal: if so be it yield, the strangers shall swallow it up.

I can't stop thinking about winds - so thanks for posting it @JohnC . Not scriptural but what comes to mind is Bob Dylan's lyric, "You don't need a weatherman to see which way the wind blows." And there are "ill winds" and good winds which kinda reflects spirit - the good and the bad. And you have to discern where each wind is coming from. Windfall and whirlwind. I feel close to something.

All or which?
Ecc_1:6 The wind goeth toward the south, and turneth about unto the north; it whirleth about continually, and the wind returneth again according to his circuits.

Ecc_5:16 And this also is a sore evil, that in all points as he came, so shall he go: and what profit hath he that hath laboured for the wind?

Ecc_11:4 He that observeth the wind shall not sow; and he that regardeth the clouds shall not reap.

I have always liked
Hos_8:7 For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind: it hath no stalk: the bud shall yield no meal: if so be it yield, the strangers shall swallow it up.

Pretty much all of them. Here's just a few of my favorites.

Ecclesiastes 1:14
I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and indeed, all is vanity and grasping for the wind.

Ecclesiastes 1:17
And I set my heart to know wisdom and to know madness and folly. I perceived that this also is grasping for the wind.

The verse after Ecc 1:17 is one of my favorites too, but it doesn't have the word 'wind' in it.

Ecclesiastes 1:18
For in much wisdom is much grief, And he who increases knowledge increases sorrow.

I only searched the KJV - I would have thought 1:14 and 1:17 would have been picked up

Ecc 1:14 I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and, behold, all is vanity and vexation of spirit.
Ecc 1:15 That which is crooked cannot be made straight: and that which is wanting cannot be numbered.
Ecc 1:16 I communed with mine own heart, saying, Lo, I am come to great estate, and have gotten more wisdom than all they that have been before me in Jerusalem: yea, my heart had great experience of wisdom and knowledge.
Ecc 1:17 And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit.
Ecc 1:18 For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

Hmmm...

I only searched the KJV - I would have thought 1:14 and 1:17 would have been picked up

Ecc 1:14 I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and, behold, all is vanity and vexation of spirit.

I may have made a mistake but a quick sql query on my on my KJV database gives the following for wind.

Genesis 8:1
Genesis 41:6
Genesis 41:23
Genesis 41:27
Exodus 10:13
Exodus 10:19
Exodus 14:21
Exodus 15:10
Numbers 11:31
2 Samuel 22:11
1 Kings 18:45
1 Kings 19:11
2 Kings 2:1
2 Kings 3:17
Job 1:19
Job 21:18
Job 27:21
Job 37:21
Job 38:1
Job 38:24
Job 40:6
Psalms 1:4
Psalms 18:10
Psalms 48:7
Psalms 58:9
Psalms 78:26
Psalms 78:39
Psalms 83:13
Psalms 103:16
Psalms 107:25
Psalms 135:7
Psalms 147:18
Psalms 148:8
Proverbs 25:14
Proverbs 25:23
Proverbs 27:16
Proverbs 30:4
Ecclesiastes 1:6
Ecclesiastes 11:4
Isaiah 7:2
Isaiah 11:15
Isaiah 17:13
Isaiah 27:8
Isaiah 32:2
Isaiah 41:16
Isaiah 41:29
Isaiah 57:13
Isaiah 64:6
Isaiah 66:15
Jeremiah 2:24
Jeremiah 4:11
Jeremiah 4:12
Jeremiah 5:13
Jeremiah 10:13
Jeremiah 13:24
Jeremiah 14:6
Jeremiah 18:17
Jeremiah 22:22
Jeremiah 51:16
Ezekiel 12:14
Ezekiel 13:11
Ezekiel 13:13
Ezekiel 17:10
Ezekiel 19:12
Ezekiel 27:26
Ezekiel 37:9
Daniel 2:35
Daniel 11:40
Hosea 4:19
Hosea 8:7
Hosea 12:1
Hosea 13:15
Amos 4:13
Jonah 1:4
Habakkuk 1:9
Zechariah 5:9
Matthew 14:24
Matthew 14:30
Matthew 14:32
Mark 4:37
Mark 4:39
Mark 4:41
Mark 6:48
Mark 6:51
Luke 8:23
Luke 8:24
Luke 12:55
John 3:8
John 6:18
Acts 2:2
Acts 27:7
Acts 27:13
Acts 27:14
Acts 27:15
Acts 27:40
Acts 28:13
Ephesians 4:14
James 1:6
Revelation 6:13
Revelation 7:1

Well, mine shows 113 verses, 123 matches - I think from what I browsed yours matches mine? Should I have looked for vexations of spirits as well? Whirlwind is:
2Ki_2:1 And it came to pass, when the LORD would take up Elijah into heaven by a whirlwind, that Elijah went with Elisha from Gilgal.
2Ki_2:11 And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.
Job_37:9 Out of the south cometh the whirlwind: and cold out of the north.
Job_38:1 Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said,
Job_40:6 Then answered the LORD unto Job out of the whirlwind, and said,
Psa_58:9 Before your pots can feel the thorns, he shall take them away as with a whirlwind, both living, and in his wrath.
Pro_1:27 When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you.
Pro_10:25 As the whirlwind passeth, so is the wicked no more: but the righteous is an everlasting foundation.
Isa_5:28 Whose arrows are sharp, and all their bows bent, their horses' hoofs shall be counted like flint, and their wheels like a whirlwind:
Isa_17:13 The nations shall rush like the rushing of many waters: but God shall rebuke them, and they shall flee far off, and shall be chased as the chaff of the mountains before the wind, and like a rolling thing before the whirlwind.
Isa_40:24 Yea, they shall not be planted; yea, they shall not be sown: yea, their stock shall not take root in the earth: and he shall also blow upon them, and they shall wither, and the whirlwind shall take them away as stubble.
Isa_41:16 Thou shalt fan them, and the wind shall carry them away, and the whirlwind shall scatter them: and thou shalt rejoice in the LORD, and shalt glory in the Holy One of Israel.
Isa_66:15 For, behold, the LORD will come with fire, and with his chariots like a whirlwind, to render his anger with fury, and his rebuke with flames of fire.
Jer_4:13 Behold, he shall come up as clouds, and his chariots shall be as a whirlwind: his horses are swifter than eagles. Woe unto us! for we are spoiled.
Jer_23:19 Behold, a whirlwind of the LORD is gone forth in fury, even a grievous whirlwind: it shall fall grievously upon the head of the wicked.
Jer_25:32 Thus saith the LORD of hosts, Behold, evil shall go forth from nation to nation, and a great whirlwind shall be raised up from the coasts of the earth.
Jer_30:23 Behold, the whirlwind of the LORD goeth forth with fury, a continuing whirlwind: it shall fall with pain upon the head of the wicked.
Eze_1:4 And I looked, and, behold, a whirlwind came out of the north, a great cloud, and a fire infolding itself, and a brightness was about it, and out of the midst thereof as the colour of amber, out of the midst of the fire.
Dan_11:40 And at the time of the end shall the king of the south push at him: and the king of the north shall come against him like a whirlwind, with chariots, and with horsemen, and with many ships; and he shall enter into the countries, and shall overflow and pass over.
Hos_13:3 Therefore they shall be as the morning cloud, and as the early dew that passeth away, as the chaff that is driven with the whirlwind out of the floor, and as the smoke out of the chimney.
Amo_1:14 But I will kindle a fire in the wall of Rabbah, and it shall devour the palaces thereof, with shouting in the day of battle, with a tempest in the day of the whirlwind:
Nah_1:3 The LORD is slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit the wicked: the LORD hath his way in the whirlwind and in the storm, and the clouds are the dust of his feet.
Hab_3:14 Thou didst strike through with his staves the head of his villages: they came out as a whirlwind to scatter me: their rejoicing was as to devour the poor secretly.
Zec_7:14 But I scattered them with a whirlwind among all the nations whom they knew not. Thus the land was desolate after them, that no man passed through nor returned: for they laid the pleasant land desolate.
25 verses found, 27 matches

2 Kings 2 verses found 2 matches
Job 3 verses found 3 matches
Psalms 1 verse found 1 match
Proverbs 2 verses found 2 matches
Isaiah 5 verses found 5 matches
Jeremiah 4 verses found 6 matches
Ezekiel 1 verse found 1 match
Daniel 1 verse found 1 match
Hosea 2 verses found 2 matches
Amos 1 verse found 1 match
Nahum 1 verse found 1 match
Habakkuk 1 verse found 1 match
Zechariah 1 verse found 1 match

Well I searched vexation and came up with 14 matches.

Deu_28:20 The LORD shall send upon thee cursing, vexation, and rebuke, in all that thou settest thine hand unto for to do, until thou be destroyed, and until thou perish quickly; because of the wickedness of thy doings, whereby thou hast forsaken me.
Ecc_1:14 I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and, behold, all is vanity and vexation of spirit.
Ecc_1:17 And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit.
Ecc_2:11 Then I looked on all the works that my hands had wrought, and on the labour that I had laboured to do: and, behold, all was vanity and vexation of spirit, and there was no profit under the sun.
Ecc_2:17 Therefore I hated life; because the work that is wrought under the sun is grievous unto me: for all is vanity and vexation of spirit.
Ecc_2:22 For what hath man of all his labour, and of the vexation of his heart, wherein he hath laboured under the sun?
Ecc_2:26 For God giveth to a man that is good in his sight wisdom, and knowledge, and joy: but to the sinner he giveth travail, to gather and to heap up, that he may give to him that is good before God. This also is vanity and vexation of spirit.
Ecc_4:4 Again, I considered all travail, and every right work, that for this a man is envied of his neighbour. This is also vanity and vexation of spirit.
Ecc_4:6 Better is an handful with quietness, than both the hands full with travail and vexation of spirit.
Ecc_4:16 There is no end of all the people, even of all that have been before them: they also that come after shall not rejoice in him. Surely this also is vanity and vexation of spirit.
Ecc_6:9 Better is the sight of the eyes than the wandering of the desire: this is also vanity and vexation of spirit.
Isa_9:1 Nevertheless the dimness shall not be such as was in her vexation, when at the first he lightly afflicted the land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali, and afterward did more grievously afflict her by the way of the sea, beyond Jordan, in Galilee of the nations.
Isa_28:19 From the time that it goeth forth it shall take you: for morning by morning shall it pass over, by day and by night: and it shall be a vexation only to understand the report.
Isa_65:14 Behold, my servants shall sing for joy of heart, but ye shall cry for sorrow of heart, and shall howl for vexation of spirit.
14 verses found, 14 matches

Deuteronomy 1 verse found 1 match
Ecclesiastes 10 verses found 10 matches
Isaiah 3 verses found 3 matches

I'd missed plurals in my attempt with wind... I won't go back and try again but for this one,

2 Chronicles 15:5 has: And in those times there was no peace to him that went out, nor to him that came in, but great vexations were upon all the inhabitants of the countries."

Sorry to @JohnC - it's just I have been noticing more and more that key searches tend to reflect that the bible is interwoven and has congruity. I just started and maybe got carried away.

PS: Liked the chronicles verse @boltardy

Back