The Work Of The Holy Spirit

The Work Of The Holy Spirit

THE WORK OF THE HOLY SPIRIT

John 16:7-11 (NLT)
7 But in fact, it is best for you that I go away, because if I don’t, the Advocate won’t come. If I do go away, then I will send him to you.

8 And when he comes, he will convict the world of its sin, and of God’s righteousness, and of the coming judgment.

9 The world’s sin is that it refuses to believe in me.

10 Righteousness is available because I go to the Father, and you will see me no more.

11 Judgment will come because the ruler of this world has already been judged.

Throughout the centuries there have been debates and misunderstandings concerning the person and work of the Holy Spirit. Some think of The Holy Spirit as an “it”, an impersonal being or a “divine force.” He is neither. The Holy Spirit is the third person of the Trinity—just as much God as the Father and the Son.
Gregory of Nazianzus writes, “The deity of the Holy Spirit ought to be clearly recognized in Scripture. Look at these facts:

Christ is born; the Spirit is His forerunner.
Christ is baptized; the Spirit bears witness.
Christ is tempted; the Spirit leads Him up.
Christ ascends; the Spirit takes His place.

What great things are there in the character of God which are not found in the Spirit? What titles which belong to God are not also applied to Him? He is called the Spirit of God, the Spirit of Christ, the mind of Christ, the Spirit of the Lord, the Spirit of adoption, of truth, of liberty; the Spirit of wisdom, of understanding, of counsel, of might, of knowledge, of godliness, of the fear of God. This only begins to show how unlimited He is.

In order to consider the unlimited power and work of the Holy Spirit let us look at the various works of the Holy Spirit that Jesus told us that He would accomplish in our lives.

I. THE HOLY SPIRIT CONVICTS THE HEART (John 16:7-8).

“But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. When he comes, he will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment:”

A. The Holy Spirit removes all doubt of our guilt from our heart.

Three major aspects of the ministry of the Holy Spirit are described in (John 16:8-15)
1. To the world—conviction of sin, righteousness, and judgment.
2. To the disciples—direction and truth.
3. To Jesus— revealing him more perfectly to and through those who represent him.
The key to this first aspect of the Spirit’s ministry is the word "convict" (elencho). KJV translates it "reprove," but that rendering is not strong enough. The word is a legal term that means to pronounce a judicial verdict by which the guilt of the culprit at the bar of justice is defined and fixed. The Spirit does not merely accuse men of sin, he brings to them an inescapable sense of guilt so that they realize their shame and helplessness before God.

B. The Holy Spirit reveals to us our inability to save ourselves.

He has come to convict a sinful unbelieving world that is consequently lost and unable to save itself. As He reveals our sin He reveals our shortcomings.

Romans 3:22-23 (ESV) says:
“The righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction: 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God…”

II. THE HOLY SPIRIT CONVINCES THE HEART (John 16:9-15).

A. The Holy Spirit convinces us of our need to believe.

1. The Holy Spirit reveals the evil of rejecting God’s message.

“…in regard to sin, because men do not believe in me;

2. The Holy Spirit reveals the holiness of God.

“…in regard to righteousness because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer;…”

3. The Holy Spirit reveals the victory over Satan.

“…and in regard to judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned.”

The Cross was the utter condemnation and defeat of the "prince of this world." "Condemned" is in the perfect tense (kekritai), which expresses a settled state. Satan is already under judgment; the sentence is fixed and permanent.

B. The Holy Spirit convinces us of our present and future victory (John 16:12-15).

Jesus said, “I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you. All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will take from what is mine and make it known to you.” NIV

1. The Holy Spirit guides us.
2. The Holy Spirit speaks to us.
3. The Holy Spirit reveals God’s glory to us.
4. The Holy Spirit gives us all things.

The Holy Spirit is able to move upon the human heart in ways that we often would not believe prior to seeing it take place. However, He does so in a powerful way to make us aware of His presence and of our own needs.

By. Rev. Rick Hill Jr., D.Div.

Amen, Amen,Amen-
The time is come for us to be a people who are filled with the Spirit, hear the Spirit, walk in the spirit, who
fellowship with the Spirit, who are led of the Spirit, who are caught up in the Spirit, who have vision in the Spirit,
who have purposed in the Spirit, who speak thru the Spirit, who have life in the Spirit, who mind the things of the
Spirit, who thru the Spirit put to death the things of the flesh, who bear the fruit of the Spirit, who move in the gifts
of the Spirit, who intercede in the Spirit, who know the will of God in the Spirit, who are mighty in the Spirit, who
for the love of the Spirit strive together, who have revelation in the Spirit, who judge in the Spirit, who are justified
and sanctified in the Spirit, who manifest the Spirit, who drink in the Spirit, who pray in the Spirit, who bless with
the spirit, who receive life form the Spirit, who have freedom in the Spirit, who are changed from glory to glory by
the Spirit, who minister by the Spirit, who wait thru he Spirit, who restore in the spirit, who sow to the Spirit, who
are sealed with the Spirit, who are built up together by the Spirit, who are strengthened by the Spirit, who keep unity
in the Spirit, who are renewed in the spirit of their minds, who take the sword of the Spirit which is the Word of
God, who make pray and supplication in the Spirit, who stand fast in one spirit, who worship in the spirit, who have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit and love one with a pure heart fervently , who if
reproached for the Name of Christ are happy for the spirit of glory and of God rest upon us, who has an ear to hear
what the Spirit is saying to His church, who rest in the Spirit, who are carried away in the spirit, who have the
testimony of Jesus which is the spirit of prophecy, who cry out even so come Lord Jesus!
Perhaps it is time we dare to believe God and enter into this deep fellowship that we are called to- we don't need to look far for :
Know ye not that you are the temple of the Holy Ghost- you are God's holy of holies now- and He is our paraclete -
the one Jesus sent to walk beside us, teach us , lead us, guide us, draw us, fill us, sanctify us and fellowship with us-
let us not grieve nor quench Him- even the great Apostle Paul wanted to go his own way but yeilded his plans andchanged the course of his apostolic journey at the Spirit's direction- it is time we do the same- in His Name Larry

Thanks Brother Larry, and Pastor Rick.

John 14:26
But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

John 16:5
[ The Work of the Holy Spirit ] "Now I am going to him who sent me, yet none of you asks me, 'Where are you going?'

The work of the Holy Spirit Acts 2;1-4 ; Romans 8:26-27 ; John 14; 17 ;1 John 4 :13

Before he left earth, Jesus promised to send someone to be with us continually. He promised to send the comforter, one who would bear our burdens, warm our hearts, and urge us to pray. He knows our worries , desires , feelings and thoughts. At those times when you feel like you can't express your thoughts to God, the Holy Spirit acts as your liason.

The Holy Spirit is God.He is equal to and synonomous with the Father and the Son but He plays a different role. He knows you better than any one on earth does. He lives in you, so you are never alone. When you struggle with feelings of pain or depression, the Holy Spirit comforts you.When you're listening hard for God's voice, the Holy Spirit speaks to you. When you're down to your last ounce of strength, the Spirit lifts and carrys you.

Jesus didn't leave us to fend for ourselves when he returned to heaven. He left us with the Holy Spirit. He lives in you, understanding every thought, emotion and desire that you ever feel. You can't earn his services. As soon as you embrace Christ, the Holy Spirit lives within you.

Oh, great thanks be to God for the Holy Spirit!!!
Amen. Amen. Amen to the posts!
Thank you brothers and sister!

As I was going around doing my daily tasks, I was thinking about the Holy Spirit and this question came to mind. We sing that song ...... Holy Spirit thou art welcome in this place and it occurred to me : Why do we have to invite the Holy Spirit into a place cause isn't He already there ? He dwells within us so now to me I'm thinking isn't that an oxymoron.

We are indeed the temple of the Holy Ghost but like all realtionships you must talk to Him and get to know Him if you expect to have any degree of fellowship in the Spirit. Imagine the one who loves you most walking besides you all day every day and you never acknowledge of talk to Him- this is surely no way to intimacy, no way to learn from our teacher, no way to recieve comfort from the comforter- yes He is here and He always responds to our invitations of love!

This is a nice thread. I like the comments posted.

I found this on the internet, which made me laugh, yet it is also quite profound.

"Man's body is the earthly vessel - jar of clay - used to contain an eternal spirit direct from God. When man sins he defiles what is holy making it unsuitable as an instrument of worship and service. The connection between God and man is broken by sin. This is what the bloodshed on the cross and the resurrection are about; God washes the vessel clean, restoring a holy function to the redeemed.

Sin means simply to miss the mark, like an arrow missing the bull's eye. It's kind of like playing on the nightmare level of Doom II - even with the BFG9000 you don't stand a chance of making it out alive on your own! Again, that is why God's way of salvation was planned before the beginning of time. Jesus allowed Himself to be sacrificed, so He could ascend from the grave, thus claiming victory over death and allowing you to finish the course of life in God mode! Way cool! This is the work of God alone. No creature other than man has been sanctified to receive an eternal spirit. No creature can evolve a spirit. God's work."

-by Kevin Sluder @ www.kiva.net

Now it is time to play this video game called life, with an extra special helper in our corner:cool:

Put us INTO CHRIST by baptizim .. 1 cor 12:12-13
Holy Spirit is involved in regeneration .. power to help us.. 2 tim 2:1
reproving work ..
restraining work .. 2thes 2:1-12
regeneration work gal 3:2-5, 1 cor 12:13
indwelling work ... eph 1:13
filling work eph 5:18... with in the mind eph 4:23

Back