The Works Of Abraham....

Let brotherly love continue and be not forgetful to “entertain” strangers and their words. Let us treat others with love and just consider what they may have to say rather than following after evil.

Hebrews 13:1-2 KJV
(1) Let brotherly love continue.
(2) Be not forgetful to entertain strangers:
for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

This is what the well-beloved “Gaius” …meaning “rejoice”….did. He rejoiced at what the “strangers” had to say. He walked in the Truth….by receiving the brothers…the strangers…with love. Gaius signifies any today who will follow after his example.

3 John 1:1-12 KJV
(1) The elder unto the wellbeloved Gaius, whom I love in the truth.
(2) Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.

The brothers came and testified of the Truth that was in him…..as he walked in love towards the brothers and rejoiced at what they had to say and kept it.

(3) For I rejoiced greatly, when the brethren came and testified of the truth that is in thee, even as thou walkest in the truth.
(4) I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.

Gaius will behave faithfully in having love towards the “strangers”…the brothers. He was faithful in this and he rejoiced in the Truth and walked in it. The “strangers”= the brothers who will be sent to preach the Word of Truth to the churches.

(5) Beloved, thou doest faithfully whatsoever thou doest to the brethren, and to strangers;

The brothers will witness the love that “Gaius” shall show them before the “church”…..the heavenly church….the church of the first born…..that is, all of the biblical saints whose words we hear interpreted in the voice of the Lord. They are the spirits (their breath) of just men made complete in our hearing of whom we are to listen as a light shining in the dark place of the heart. Whosoever shall confess me before men, him shall the Son of man also confess before the angels of God....the biblical saints whose words will be interpreted in Christ. They will show love towards what they hear and towards those who will preach them. They will confess the Son.

Gaius brought forward the brothers on their journey in a manner consistent with God’s way. He was gracious to them and sent them away in like manner that he had received them. The brothers journey with their preaching as they will go about the churches preaching the Word of Truth.

(6) Which have borne witness of thy charity before the church: whom if thou bring forward on their journey after a godly sort, thou shalt do well:

For His name’s sake only do they go forth. They take nothing of the Gentiles….that is, they do NOT preach for money but are servants of the Lord Jesus Christ in the Word. The brothers will work with their own hands to support their own needs so that the gospel has free course.

(7) Because that for his name's sake they went forth, taking nothing of the Gentiles.

We ought to receive such so that we might be fellow helpers to the Truth.

(8) We therefore ought to receive such, that we might be fellowhelpers to the truth.

But Diotrephes….those loving to be FIRST among the churches….the man of sin….will NOT receive the brothers. He that does evil has not seen God. Those who are not of God will not receive the brothers as they will not hear what they have to say but will behave in their evil…. thinking that they are not doing anything wrong. They will be found “sleeping” by Him…forgetting to continue in brotherly love.

(9) I wrote unto the church: but Diotrephes, who loveth to have the preeminence among them, receiveth us not.
(10) Wherefore, if I come, I will remember his deeds which he doeth, prating against us with malicious words: and not content therewith, neither doth he himself receive the brethren, and forbiddeth them that would, and casteth them out of the church.
(11) Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good. He that doeth good is of God: but he that doeth evil hath not seen God.
(12) Demetrius hath good report of all men, and of the truth itself: yea, and we also bear record; and ye know that our record is true.

We are to do the works of Abraham who did entertain the strangers who came to his tent. He sat in the tent door. He kept his mouth ….the “tent door”…from speaking evil.

Genesis 18:1-8 KJV
(1) And the LORD appeared unto him in the plains of Mamre: and he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day;

He spoke graciously to the men….the strangers….the messengers of God. We are to do the works of Abraham. We also are to let brotherly love continue and entertain “strangers” for we may be entertaining “angels” unawares as Abraham did.

(2) And he lift up his eyes and looked, and, lo, three men stood by him: and when he saw them, he ran to meet them from the tent door, and bowed himself toward the ground,
(3) And said, My Lord, if now I have found favour in thy sight, pass not away, I pray thee, from thy servant:

He was hospitable and invited them to stay. He responded in kindness and kept the “feast” with Truth and sincerity and not with malice and wickedness. Like Gaius, he sent them on after a “godly sort”….. whom if thou bring forward on their journey after a godly sort, thou shalt do well

(4) Let a little water, I pray you, be fetched, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree:
(5) And I will fetch a morsel of bread, and comfort ye your hearts; after that ye shall pass on: for therefore are ye come to your servant. And they said, So do, as thou hast said.
(6) And Abraham hastened into the tent unto Sarah, and said, Make ready quickly three measures of fine meal, knead it, and make cakes upon the hearth.
(7) And Abraham ran unto the herd, and fetcht a calf tender and good, and gave it unto a young man; and he hasted to dress it.
(8) And he took butter, and milk, and the calf which he had dressed, and set it before them; and he stood by them under the tree, and they did eat.

We are to keep His “Word”…His Saying…His New Commandment…His Supper: to have love for one another. The Pharisees sought to “kill” Jesus….as they will today with their tongues speaking evil against those who have been sent to preach the Word of Truth to them.

John 8:37-47 KJV
(37) I know that ye are Abraham's seed; but ye seek to kill me, because my word hath no place in you.
(38) I speak that which I have seen with my Father: and ye do that which ye have seen with your father

If we are Abraham’s children….children of FAITH, we shall DO the WORKS of Abraham who did entertain the strangers who came to his tent.

(39) They answered and said unto him, Abraham is our father. Jesus saith unto them, If ye were Abraham's children, ye would do the works of Abraham.

Abraham did NOT seek to kill the men who came to his tent. He received the Truth from the men who spoke what they heard of God. The Pharisees did not follow after the works of Abraham as they sought to kill Jesus. They did not receive Him.

(40) But now ye seek to kill me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I have heard of God: this did not Abraham.

They did the deeds of their father the “devil”….the “false accuser, slanderer”.

(41) Ye do the deeds of your father. Then said they to him, We be not born of fornication; we have one Father, even God.
(42) Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.
(43) Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word.

The lusts of their “father” did they do. Their “father” was CAIN who was a murderer from the beginning and abode not in the Truth.

(44) Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
(45) And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not.
(46) Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me?
(47) He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

If we continue in His Word….to let brotherly love continue, then we are His learners (disciples) indeed and we shall know the Truth and the Truth shall set us free.

John 8:31-32 KJV
(31) Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
(32) And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

Blessed are they that will do His commandments. They shall know the Truth. The “tree of life” is the tongue that speaks healing. They will be able to enter in through the gates into the city. The gate is narrow that leads unto life and few find it. They will be able to know the Truth.

Revelation 22:14-17 KJV
(14) Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

But those who are “outside” are those who will hear and not DO His commandments. They will NOT know the words that are spoken for they will not do His commandments even though they may say they know God. They will say they know God who they have not seen and yet hate their brothers whom they have. Those that wont hear are not of God but will do the works of Cain...and of Baalam....and of Korah.

(15) For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

He sends His messenger to testify of these things in the churches and those who will hear are to respond by being inviting.

(16) I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

Let him that hear say, “come”….as Abraham did.

(17) And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

Again, Abraham invited the strangers to stay with him.

Genesis 18:
(2) And he lift up his eyes and looked, and, lo, three men stood by him: and when he saw them, he ran to meet them from the tent door, and bowed himself toward the ground,

Abraham told the men to “pass not away” from him but to come stay with him and he will fetch a “little water”….the water of life. If we respond with goodness, it is a water of life to those who are “thirsty” for a good response. They will rest under the tree that bears good fruit towards the strangers that will come to preach the Word of Truth to them.

(3) And said, My Lord, if now I have found favour in thy sight, pass not away, I pray thee, from thy servant:
(4) Let a little water, I pray you, be fetched, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree:
(5) And I will fetch a morsel of bread, and comfort ye your hearts; after that ye shall pass on: for therefore are ye come to your servant. And they said, So do, as thou hast said.

But others will not follow after the works of Abraham. They will crucify those who will come to preach the words of the Son of God who speaks what He hears the Father saying. To be carnally-minded is death….the place of a skull. Many will walk after the flesh….in envy, strife and wrath….towards what they will hear. This is the place of the skull: to be carnally-minded is death.

Matthew 27:33-34 KJV
(33) And when they were come unto a place called Golgotha, that is to say, a place of a skull,

Instead of giving the water of life to drink so to speak, they will react with “sour wine”….giving vinegar mingled with bitterness…to those who “thirst” for a righteous response.

(34) They gave him vinegar to drink mingled with gall: and when he had tasted thereof, he would not drink.

Every branch in Him that will not bear fruit (doing evil), He takes away and every branch that will bear fruit (good deeds) He will purge so that it may bring forth more fruit.

John 15:2-17 KJV
(2) Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.

We are clean through the Word which He has spoken unto us: to have love for one another has He has loved us and laid down His life for us. We are to do the same unto the brothers whom He sends out to preach the Word of Truth to their ears.

(3) Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.

We are to abide in Him. We are to abide in the doctrine of Christ…..to have love for one another.

(4) Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
(5) I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

If a man abide not in Him, he is cast forth as a branch and is withered and men gather them and cast them into the fire and they are burned. They…the hypocrites…. will gather together in their evil and will rage against the Truth and against those who will preach and receive it. The fire is reserved for the “goats” who will do the deeds of their “father” and his “messengers”….words of false accusations and evil speaking. The tongue is a fire that will “burn” them so to speak. There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth…rage.

(6) If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.
(7) If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.
(8) Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.
(9) As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
(10) If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

"Gaius" means "rejoice" and he walked in the Truth. He kept the commandment and did good things faithfully to the brothers....the strangers. If we keep His commandments, our JOY shall be FULL.

(11) These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.

(12) This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
(13) Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
(14) Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
(15) Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.
(16) Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.
(17) These things I command you, that ye love one another.

We are to entertain strangers and not speak evil against them….falsely accusing them as evil doers.

Psalms 69:7-36 KJV
(7) Because for thy sake I have borne reproach; shame hath covered my face.
(8) I am become a stranger unto my brethren, and an alien unto my mother's children.
(9) For the zeal of thine house hath eaten me up; and the reproaches of them that reproached thee are fallen upon me.

We are to "fast" from rendering evil for their evil.

(10) When I wept, and chastened my soul with fasting, that was to my reproac
h.

All those who will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution by those whom will not believe. But we are not to render evil for their evil….making “sackcloth” our garment. They will speak against us but we are to sanctify the Lord always in our hearts.

(11) I made sackcloth also my garment; and I became a proverb to them.
(12) They that sit in the gate speak against me; and I was the song of the drunkards.
(13) But as for me, my prayer is unto thee, O LORD, in an acceptable time: O God, in the multitude of thy mercy hear me, in the truth of thy salvation.
(14) Deliver me out of the mire, and let me not sink: let me be delivered from them that hate me, and out of the deep waters.
(15) Let not the waterflood overflow me, neither let the deep swallow me up, and let not the pit shut her mouth upon me.
(16) Hear me, O LORD; for thy lovingkindness is good: turn unto me according to the multitude of thy tender mercies.
(17) And hide not thy face from thy servant; for I am in trouble: hear me speedily.
(18) Draw nigh unto my soul, and redeem it: deliver me because of mine enemies.
(19) Thou hast known my reproach, and my shame, and my dishonour: mine adversaries are all before thee.
(20) Reproach hath broken my heart; and I am full of heaviness: and I looked for some to take pity, but there was none; and for comforters, but I found none.

Instead of the works of Abraham, they will give us “gall” for our “meat” and in our thirst they will give us “vinegar” to drink. They will respond in their hatefulness and not remember to have love for one another as Jesus commanded us.

(21) They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.
(22) Let their table become a snare before them: and that which should have been for their welfare, let it become a trap.

They will not be able to understand....

(23) Let their eyes be darkened, that they see not; and make their loins continually to shake.
(24) Pour out thine indignation upon them, and let thy wrathful anger take hold of them.
(25) Let their habitation be desolate; and let none dwell in their tents.
(26) For they persecute him whom thou hast smitten; and they talk to the grief of those whom thou hast wounded.
(27) Add iniquity unto their iniquity: and let them not come into thy righteousness.

They will not be found in the “book of the living”….

(28) Let them be blotted out of the book of the living, and not be written with the righteous.
(29) But I am poor and sorrowful: let thy salvation, O God, set me up on high.
(30) I will praise the name of God with a song, and will magnify him with thanksgiving.
(31) This also shall please the LORD better than an ox or bullock that hath horns and hoofs.
(32) The humble shall see this, and be glad: and your heart shall live that seek God.
(33) For the LORD heareth the poor, and despiseth not his prisoners.
(34) Let the heaven and earth praise him, the seas, and every thing that moveth therein.
(35) For God will save Zion, and will build the cities of Judah: that they may dwell there, and have it in possession.
(36) The seed also of his servants shall inherit it: and they that love his name shall dwell therein.

Faith ALONE is “dead” if we do not have the good works aligned with that faith. We will be judged according to what our WORKS shall be...whether good or bad. Faith without works is DEAD.

James 2:17-26 KJV

(17) Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
(18) Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
(19) Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
(20) But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
(21) Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
(22) Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
(23) And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
(24) Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
(25) Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way
?

(26) For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

We may have faith….but faith without good works towards what we hear is DEAD.

The church in “Sardis” …meaning “red ones”…was found without good works before God. They will hear the Word of Truth but will respond with evil....and count the blood of the covenant that they are sanctified with as a common thing as they will not let brotherly love continue. They will trample upon the Son of God defiling their garments.

The church in Sardis has a name that they live….they have FAITH in God…but will respond with evil works. Faith without the accompanying good works is DEAD. We have a commandment to have love for one another.

Revelation 3:1-6 KJV

(1) And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.

We are to "wake up" to His righteousness....the works of God.

(2) Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God.
(3) Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.

Some shall repent of their evil and walk before Him in white. They will awake and cast off the works of darkness and will put on Jesus. They will work the works of His righteousness. Let us overcome our wrath....for wrath works not the righteousness of God but let us instead walk in love before Him.

(4) Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy.
(5) He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.
(6) He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

We will be judged according to what our “work” shall be…..not by faith alone. Abraham had faith and did work the works of that faith. Jesus says to every church: "I know thy works"..

Revelation 22:11-15 KJV

(11) He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.
(12) And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.
(13) I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.
(14) Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
(15) For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

Back