There Is Only One Son of God

33 "Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or make the tree bad and its fruit bad, for the tree is known by its fruit. 34 You brood of vipers! How can you speak good, when you are evil? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. 35 The good person out of his good treasure brings forth good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure brings forth evil. 36 I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, 37 for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned." - Mathew 12:33-37

Powerful words, aren't they?

To me, I think Jesus is calling out the Pharisees as how they behave or portray themselves as. He didn't call them names or call them down in my understanding. Many times throughout the Book of Matthew, Jesus discerned what was evil in His teachings to us.

That being said, I think it is important to know that we are not Jesus; there is only one Son of God. We can strive to be like Him as we are from His flock of sheep. Time and time again, I like to check myself to make sure I'm not portraying myself on the same pedastle as Him - for I am but His servant. Nothing more and nothing less.

We must also remember verse 37, that we truly are either justified or condemned from what we say. If any should be unsure what to say, as I have been unsure of this very post, pray and ask Him "is this wise of me to say?" even if it does take a few hours, it be a day or a few days to think about.

It is true that sometimes Jesus was not always nice, but in a way it was out of love that he set the Pharisees straight since they were failing not only themselves but others as well. And let me say, that did not bode well with Jesus. I bite my own tounge quite a lot to tell you the truth. If there is anything I fear it is condemning myself along with others that heed my wrong doings.

Let us check ourselves once and a while to make certain we aren't doing the same deadly mistakes as the Phaisees once have. We, a people of the body of Christ Jesus, need to turn to one another for complete support and help one another with our own weaknesses. Is this not what God meant about Fellowship? I believe it is.

Let us bring Glory to God!

Christine, I edited this thread to remove the off-topic posts and your two responses to them. The off-topic posts have been stated multiple times in multiple threads so their content has been well represented. Here they serve only to derail the topic of this thread.

This is one area where I have a rather oblique agreement with the WOF. I don't believe that they have creative force as they do, but they sure have the power to stir things up! They can bring comfort, cause anxiety, inspire, discourage, wound deeply, or bring healing. James 3:1-12 talks about how the tongue, though small in size, is like a rudder which steers a large ship, or a small flame which starts a forest fire. Verses 9-12 echo the words of Jesus you quoted in Matthew. These verses use a lot of metaphor, but I have seen the reality behind the metaphor played out many times.

Thanks Rumely :)
Yes, I remember James 3:1-12, and how true it is! It's clearly impossible to not offend someone in the way of speech, especially on the net where we can't see body language or facial expressions. It's very easy to misjudge. All I can do in the end is trust in God as fully as my spirit can.

Back