They Did Not Repent

Jeremiah 36:21-24 (ESV)says........
"21 So the king sent Jehudi to fetch the roll: and he took it out of Elishama the scribe's chamber. And Jehudi read it in the ears of the king, and in the ears of all the princes which stood beside the king.
22 Now the king sat in the winterhouse in the ninth month: and there was a fire on the hearth burning before him.
23 And it came to pass, that when Jehudi had read three or four leaves, he cut it with the penknife, and cast it into the fire that was on the hearth, until all the roll was consumed in the fire that was on the hearth.
24 Yet they were not afraid, nor rent their garments, neither the king, nor any of his servants that heard all these words."

Can we learn from these verses? Of course we can. That is what Bible study is all about. Taking the Scriptures and finding the lesson in them and then applying it to our lives today.

Jeremiah brought message after message of warnings from God to his people. God condemned their sins and named the judgments He was going to bring IF the people did not turn back to Him.

The messages of Jeremiah was straight from God and the result was....."The people did not Repent".

God has done everything possible to keep men out of hell. He did it in Jeremiah's day and He is still doing it today. However, with all the warnings and readings and messages to the people and princes and the king the text quoted tells us that...........

"Yet they were not afraid and did not repent".

That my dear internet friends is exactly what the problem of man is today.

WE ARE NOT AFRAID AND WILL NOT REPENT!!

When Christians argue over whether or not two men should be married, or the killing of an un-born child is acceptable or even the fact that a man convicted of killing 5 little girls should get the death penalty or not......

THAT IS THE RESULT OF NOT FEARING GOD!

Why do I say that? Because when men lose the fear of God----they will become more and more bolder and heinous in their sin and rebellion.

When man does not fear authority, whether it be God's or man's, the next step is chaos and anarchy takes over. Remember Hurricane Katrina that hit New Orleans in 2004??? Men were not stealing food and water to survive........they were wadding through waist deep flood water with big screen TV's in their hands.

WHY??? No fear of authority, God's or mans.

Just something to think about this weekend.

"21 So the king sent Jehudi to fetch the roll: and he took it out of Elishama the scribe's chamber. And Jehudi read it in the ears of the king, and in the ears of all the princes which stood beside the king.
22 Now the king sat in the winterhouse in the ninth month: and there was a fire on the hearth burning before him.
23 And it came to pass, that when Jehudi had read three or four leaves, he cut it with the penknife, and cast it into the fire that was on the hearth, until all the roll was consumed in the fire that was on the hearth.
24 Yet they were not afraid, nor rent their garments, neither the king, nor any of his servants that heard all these words."

Can we learn from these verses? Of course we can. That is what Bible study is all about. Taking the Scriptures and finding the lesson in them and then applying it to our lives today.

Jeremiah brought message after message of warnings from God to his people. God condemned their sins and named the judgments He was going to bring IF the people did not turn back to Him.

The messages of Jeremiah was straight from God and the result was....."The people did not Repent".

God has done everything possible to keep men out of hell. He did it in Jeremiah's day and He is still doing it today. However, with all the warnings and readings and messages to the people and princes and the king the text quoted tells us that...........

When Christians argue over whether or not two men should be married, or the killing of an un-born child is acceptable or even the fact that a man convicted of killing 5 little girls should get the death penalty or not......

Why do I say that? Because when men lose the fear of God----they will become more and more bolder and heinous in their sin and rebellion.

When man does not fear authority, whether it be God's or man's, the next step is chaos and anarchy takes over. Remember Hurricane Katrina that hit New Orleans in 2004??? Men were not stealing food and water to survive........they were wadding through waist deep flood water with big screen TV's in their hands.

It is my belief that our merciful God always gives us the chance to repent. I believe that human kind had the chance before the flood, after the flood, pre- Eqypt, post- Egypt, pre- Babylon, post- Babylon, pre -Christ, and now we are on the "post- Christ Age" (Age of Faith/ Church Age) waiting for His return.

I think most people who try to 'humanize' God and fail to recognize His power and that He is the author of said 'laws' of physics and what-not; would do good to believe that God is not constrained by the same 'laws' on this earth as we are. This is clearly shown in the scripture if we would only BELIEVE IT! Such as: the transfiguration, ascension, miracles, walking on water, calming the sea, RESURRECTION-AMEN!

We forget the POWER of God; and our need for God. We have our technology and comfort especially in the USA to 'save' us. What do we need God for? Let's minimize His place through human logic shall we? It's a good thing we have all these universities to try and figure the "how" God did things; so we can feel better about our 'selfs' and continue living in our sins without that nagging guilty conscience.

Sorry about the rant; I am ready to Go Major. People don't want to repent because they don't think they need it. We are just filthy monkey spawn from billions of years ago anyway right? Oh wait-maybe God 'used' evolution because he wasn't powerful enough after speaking the universe into existence and setting up the 'laws' we are governed by to create a human from the materials of the Earth (like the Bible says).

We have NO IDEA the POWER we are dealing with with God. The Bible is a peek into our LORD's POWER. It's like juggling with dynamite from the 1900's.

We might ought to be on our faces continually thanking God for His continued mercy and grace to allow us to continue to exist on this planet. I am guilty of not repenting as I should as well.....

PRAISE GOD FOR HIS MERCY!

Hey Major (waving). Delightful to see your type. I have concerns - fears for many things. I have awe and reverence and love for God but I do not fear Him. I fear separation from God but recognize that this is a separation that can only happen as a result of my rejection of Him and the ways He has laid out. Having said that, if the authorities of the world want to force me away from what I see as God's will, then those authorities already have a warm place where they have elected to go. I do not comprehend why people do not heed the alarms ringing in the world today, but the Good Book tells us it would go this way.

It is my belief that our merciful God always gives us the chance to repent. I believe that human kind had the chance before the flood, after the flood, pre- Eqypt, post- Egypt, pre- Babylon, post- Babylon, pre -Christ, and now we are on the "post- Christ Age" (Age of Faith/ Church Age) waiting for His return.

I think most people who try to 'humanize' God and fail to recognize His power and that He is the author of said 'laws' of physics and what-not; would do good to believe that God is not constrained by the same 'laws' on this earth as we are. This is clearly shown in the scripture if we would only BELIEVE IT! Such as: the transfiguration, ascension, miracles, walking on water, calming the sea, RESURRECTION-AMEN!

We forget the POWER of God; and our need for God. We have our technology and comfort especially in the USA to 'save' us. What do we need God for? Let's minimize His place through human logic shall we? It's a good thing we have all these universities to try and figure the "how" God did things; so we can feel better about our 'selfs' and continue living in our sins without that nagging guilty conscience.

Sorry about the rant; I am ready to Go Major. People don't want to repent because they don't think they need it. We are just filthy monkey spawn from billions of years ago anyway right? Oh wait-maybe God 'used' evolution because he wasn't powerful enough after speaking the universe into existence and setting up the 'laws' we are governed by to create a human from the materials of the Earth (like the Bible says).

We have NO IDEA the POWER we are dealing with with God. The Bible is a peek into our LORD's POWER. It's like juggling with dynamite from the 1900's.

We might ought to be on our faces continually thanking God for His continued mercy and grace to allow us to continue to exist on this planet. I am guilty of not repenting as I should as well.....

PRAISE GOD FOR HIS MERCY!

Excellent observations Mike and I am right there with you.!!!!!!

Hey Major (waving). Delightful to see your type. I have concerns - fears for many things. I have awe and reverence and love for God but I do not fear Him. I fear separation from God but recognize that this is a separation that can only happen as a result of my rejection of Him and the ways He has laid out. Having said that, if the authorities of the world want to force me away from what I see as God's will, then those authorities already have a warm place where they have elected to go. I do not comprehend why people do not heed the alarms ringing in the world today, but the Good Book tells us it would go this way.
Welcome back Silk!!! You've been missed. (y)

You are correct. The bells are ringing all around us and we seem to be deaf!

Proverbs 9:10
"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight."

Hey Ab!! *Hugs*. I missed the comradship, too. Watching the news too much and shuddering. I think I am looking at the world with new filters because of things I have learned here and look forward to learning more. It has always been hard for me to understand why people don't turn in the direction of their own best interest. I used to think that if I just found a way to show them with just the right words, they would see it but ...they don't. Shakes head. It is finally dawning on me, what scripture says: if you don't have the Holy Spirit to enlighten the words - it will never hit home.

Hey Ab!! *Hugs*. I missed the comradship, too. Watching the news too much and shuddering. I think I am looking at the world with new filters because of things I have learned here and look forward to learning more. It has always been hard for me to understand why people don't turn in the direction of their own best interest. I used to think that if I just found a way to show them with just the right words, they would see it but ...they don't. Shakes head. It is finally dawning on me, what scripture says: if you don't have the Holy Spirit to enlighten the words - it will never hit home.

You know....

One of the most terrifying passages in the entire bible is....

Ezekiel 33:32-33 (NKJV)
"Indeed you are to them as a very lovely song of one who has a pleasant voice and can play well on an instrument; for they hear your words, but they do not do them.
"And when this comes to pass—surely it will come—then they will know that a prophet has been among them."

Why is this terrifying to me - and why should it be a terrifying warning to Christians?

We sit and we listen to the word of God every single week.. Some of us listen every day....
So few of us "Get it"... We listen and nod our heads and pat the preacher on the back...

Why? Because we believe it doesn't apply to US.... We think the message of repentance is for the other guy... All this stuff applies to that heathen in the pew in front of us... THAT guy is the one God is trying to change.. Man.. If only my Uncle Joe or my Boss could hear this sermon.....

BUT.. He didn't hear it - YOU were the one who heard it!
What's your response?

Typically... Man, that was another good sermon... Hey, honey, where do you want to go to Lunch today?... and that's the end of it...

I like the verse you chose @JohnC and I kinda agree that people don't listen, for a lot of reasons, including thinking it doesn't apply personally. I like to think I always apply first to see how it fits. You bring me to something I have been wondering about since I saw this thread. I was watching a TV show on ID where a pastor killed 2 of his wives and was romancing a love affair with a congregant, who's husband found out and committed suicide in the church. And I keep wondering how these sinister so called men of God could possibly have done these things. To say that they didn't at least know God's message really doesn't explain it for me.

Job 24:14 Therefore they say unto God, Depart from us; for we desire not the knowledge of thy ways. 15 What is the Almighty, that we should serve him? and what profit should we have, if we pray unto him?

Proverbs 1:20 Wisdom crieth without; she uttereth her voice in the streets: 21 She crieth in the chief place of concourse, in the openings of the gates: in the city she uttereth her words, saying, 22 How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge? 23 Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you. 24 Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded; 25 But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof: 26 I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh; 27 When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you. 28 Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me: 29 For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the Lord: 30 They would none of my counsel: they despised all my reproof. 31 Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices. 32 For the turning away of the simple shall slay them, and the prosperity of fools shall destroy them. 33 But whoso hearkeneth unto me shall dwell safely, and shall be quiet from fear of evil.

Isaiah 6:9 And he said, Go, and tell this people, Hear ye indeed, but understand not; and see ye indeed, but perceive not. 10 Make the heart of this people fat, and make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes; lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and convert, and be healed. 11 Then said I, Lord, how long? And he answered, Until the cities be wasted without inhabitant, and the houses without man, and the land be utterly desolate, 12 And the Lord have removed men far away, and there be a great forsaking in the midst of the land. 13 But yet in it shall be a tenth, and it shall return, and shall be eaten: as a teil tree, and as an oak, whose substance is in them, when they cast their leaves: so the holy seed shall be the substance thereof.

Isaiah 66:1 Thus saith the Lord, The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool: where is the house that ye build unto me? and where is the place of my rest? 2 For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the Lord: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word. 3 He that killeth an ox is as if he slew a man; he that sacrificeth a lamb, as if he cut off a dog's neck; he that offereth an oblation, as if he offered swine's blood; he that burneth incense, as if he blessed an idol. Yea, they have chosen their own ways, and their soul delighteth in their abominations. 4 I also will choose their delusions, and will bring their fears upon them; because when I called, none did answer; when I spake, they did not hear: but they did evil before mine eyes, and chose that in which I delighted not.

Acts 28:23 And when they had appointed him a day, there came many to him into his lodging; to whom he expounded and testified the kingdom of God, persuading them concerning Jesus, both out of the law of Moses, and out of the prophets, from morning till evening. 24 And some believed the things which were spoken, and some believed not. 25 And when they agreed not among themselves, they departed, after that Paul had spoken one word, Well spake the Holy Ghost by Esaias the prophet unto our fathers, 26 Saying, Go unto this people, and say, Hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and not perceive: 27 For the heart of this people is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes have they closed; lest they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them. 28 Be it known therefore unto you, that the salvation of God is sent unto the Gentiles, and that they will hear it. 29 And when he had said these words, the Jews departed, and had great reasoning among themselves.

Matthew 13:10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables? 11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given. 12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath. 13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand. 14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive: 15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

And so much more.....

I hear what you are saying @Brother_Mike_V, and surely I have read it, so I know it is true. It is still hard to wrap my head around it - that one can walk someone patiently thru, step by step, from A to Z, and still the blankness. Even me...until recently, I still believed if you triu might tried really really to the 10th power, despite reading such scriptures, that you quoted, surely you could make some inroads.

I hear what you are saying @Brother_Mike_V, and surely I have read it, so I know it is true. It is still hard to wrap my head around it - that one can walk someone patiently thru, step by step, from A to Z, and still the blankness. Even me...until recently, I still believed if you triu might tried really really to the 10th power, despite reading such scriptures, that you quoted, surely you could make some inroads.

It's all a 'FAITH' issue: we either believe it; or we don't. Mankind has a habit of creating this grey area to help appease his fleshy nature. And we then even boast about it. There is no 'grey area' with God: the light of God exposes every shade of grey we can imagine.

The great part is: the LIGHT makes the darkness scatter! That's why we need Christ daily-we need "the Way, the Truth and the LIFE" eternal to inspire us. When we wander off the Path, doubt the Truth and forget the Life-we become so far from God and allow ourselves to sin-because we lack the faith to maintain our walk.

I praise God for His forgiveness and mercy; especially when I find myself so often pulling myself out of the darkness and crawling back onto the path. I think this has been a faith builder in my life; so many times I used to think that God was abandoning me; and then I realized it was I abandoning God for my own selfish reasons.

It was God holding onto me in His Grace & Mercy that I find building my faith: it MUST be the Holy Spirit; because if it were of myself, I would have quit pursing this 'Christian' thing so long ago. But thankfully he drags me back up onto the pathway-usually broken.

How come there is no warning label on the Bible for accepting salvation? Thank you LORD...forgive me....

I can't remember a time, I didn't believe/know. I have gotten to wondering lately, maybe I believed too early - because I believed but continued to sin. Mostly, I tried not to but I did. And in looking back, I knew better but continued. Now, I really have broken a lot of those old bad habits, and find myself repulsed by sin. And I wonder why I didn't see it then. As clearly. (polishes halo). I think sin blinds us.

I think if God came to earth and could give us one word it would be ''repent''.

It is good to read scripture about the stories of the Jews, the laws of the prophets, God's interaction with man, prophecies.....but all in all the bible is all about one thing...repent.

We all grasp sin. We all grasp the inner rebellion to our Creator when we don't repent.

I think if God came to earth and could give us one word it would be ''repent''.

It is good to read scripture about the stories of the Jews, the laws of the prophets, God's interaction with man, prophecies.....but all in all the bible is all about one thing...repent.

We all grasp sin. We all grasp the inner rebellion to our Creator when we don't repent.

Amen! That is exactly what He came saying when He was here with us.

It shows 2 things..

Corrupt condition of human race
Boundless grace of God!

Many think God of OT did not have grace or love.. I can't believe they say they read their Bibles :) Lord sent so many prophets and warnings. He was just waiting for Israel to repent.

Back