This “old Man”: He Plays On -nc

It was through the “Tree of Life” that God taught Adam concerning eternity; and through the “Tree of Knowledge” He taught him His holiness. Knowledge and understanding is best taught through contrast and in this case, one tree for life and the other for death--both represent the contrast of good and evil (Gen 3:22). It would not be presumptuous to conclude that God allowed Adam’s sin nature to remain for his good; to learn of God’s holiness by learning of his own decadent nature.​

Scripture teaches that the believer is free from the guilt of sin but nowhere is it said that the source of sin, “old man”, has been removed. This is why Paul wrote that he, not was, but is (continually) “crucified with Christ” (Gal 2:20). It is the “old man” or Adamic nature that, not was, but “is crucified” (Rom 6:6).

If sin’s source were removed from the believer, sin itself would no longer be an issue and the believer would no longer require scriptural admonitions to continue to choose between righteousness and unrighteousness. Being made aware of the continuing presence of “the old man”, as evidenced by Romans seven, will better equip the believer to understand that we “yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness” by not yielding “your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity” (Rom 6:19). If we do not know to put off (disengage) “the old man” which is present, we cannot put on (engage) the “new man”, which is also present (Eph 4:22, 24; Col 3:9, 10).

The presence and influence of these members are confirmed and identified in Colossians 3:5 which writes, “Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth (still present); fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry.” Though we walk with them, we do not live by them. “In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them” (v 7).

How do we avoid yielding to, and allow the putting off of the Adamic nature? You probably know; by mortifying “the deeds of the body” which is done only “through the Spirit” (Rom 8:13). Notice this does not address “the body” but “the deeds” of it. Through the Spirit, the Adamic nature and its “deeds” are subdued or mortified, but not eradicated; just as the one undergoing crucifixion was bound but not immediately killed. This is a direct analogy to the lingering existence of our Adamic nature, which we are easily distracted from by “the pride of life”.

The height of God’s holiness can be more clearly seen by the Light which shines bright on the depths of our Adamic nature.
-NC

Jesus saith unto him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but BY (in conformity to) me." (John 14:6) KJV

This would mean, in spirit and in truth like Jesus. The Holy Spirit allows us to live Christ-like therefore, in essence Christ can live through us which is another way of saying IN (influential) us.

Galatians 2:20 reads, "I am crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live; yet not (I), but Christ liveth in me." KJV

Other versions use (THROUGH ME in place of BY ME) but I like KJV better.

Our "New Man", "new life" is Christ....when we are holy it's Christ. When we are unholy it is Adam. New Man or Old man.

Am I missing it?

Jesus saith unto him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but BY (in conformity to) me." (John 14:6) KJV

This would mean, in spirit and in truth like Jesus. The Holy Spirit allows us to live Christ-like therefore, in essence Christ can live through us which is another way of saying IN (influential) us.

Galatians 2:20 reads, "I am crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live; yet not (I), but Christ liveth in me." KJV

Am I missing it?
Can you name just one such version that translates the Greek preposition " ἐν " as 'through'? I'd say you can not.
It is one thing to be misled by a false teaching, it is another to justify or validate it.

OK, but that is hardly the understanding one would take from your post.
Nevertheless, in John 14:6 the preposition used is " διά ". I referred to the use of this preposition in the first paragraph of post#12 of the thread "The Heart - Not The Letter NC" So, for a version to render " διά " as 'through' is quite legitimate as long as context allows.

Our "New Man", "new life" is Christ....when we are holy it's Christ. When we are unholy it is Adam. New Man or Old man.

Am I missing it?

Hi William - You're not missing but on target!

I wonder if we are all meaning the same thing when we say Christ lives "through" us. Perhaps we ought to explore that a bit. In other words, when William or Netchaplain says Christ lives through us, do they mean the same thing as what that phrase means to Calvin?

If that is a topic worth pursuing, then it should be continued in this thread: http://www.christianforumsite.com/threads/the-heart-not-the-letter-nc.33823/#post-269367 where the discussion is already well under way.

Back